Moparts

acid dipping and e coating

Posted By: MoparJunkie

acid dipping and e coating - 09/16/18 02:52 PM

Anybody know of a source in the Lexington, Ky - Cincy area????
TIA
Posted By: 6T6Cuda

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 09/17/18 02:51 AM

There was a place on Route 4 (Fairfield, outside of Cincinnati, near the Porsche dealer) that did acid dipping. They would do entire cars, parts, etc... I can't recall the name, and I never used them.

I recall someone saying they also did e-coat, but I don't remember. Been about 10-15 years since I looked into this.

Hopefully something to go on...
Posted By: FY1TA

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 09/17/18 02:52 AM

American Metal Cleaning
475 Northland Blvd, Cincinnati, OH 45240
Phone: (513) 825-1171 Talk to Mark
No E coating

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 09/17/18 03:08 AM

Ok. Thanks. I’ll check it out.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 09/17/18 05:09 AM

They can entire bodies

But no ecoating avail.
Far as i know. Nearest place to do e coat is near toledo.
Dont have company name info
Posted By: Stanton

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 09/18/18 02:25 AM

Don't remember the company name but here's contact info. They do both dipping and e-coat. Not in Ky area though.

Mark Kochanoski

Int. Paint Stripping
734-942-0500 office
734-771-3190 cell
Posted By: 6pkaar

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 09/18/18 04:59 AM

International Paint Stripping is actually in Romulus, Michigan. About 3 3/4 hours from Cincy. 4-6 lane highway all the way.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 09/18/18 08:03 AM

I used them early this year for my 62 Plymouth trunk lid - very nice work.
Posted By: HotRod20

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 09/18/18 02:03 PM

International Paint Stripping in Romulus MI just off of I-275, very easy off and on the highway. I used them for my doors and planned on using them for my fenders,except my cars going to a new home. Chemical paint stripping and de-rusting and optional E coating, a one stop shop!.They do real nice work.

HR 20

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 09/18/18 02:36 PM

Hey Rich, this is Greg!!! Lol
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 09/19/18 06:18 PM

fyi- unlike powder-coating or traditional automotive spray-applied paints, it's VERY hard to get someone to do a small e-coat job (like one car) due to the potential for e-coat tank contamination.

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 09/20/18 03:48 AM

Quote:
fyi- unlike powder-coating or traditional automotive spray-applied paints, it's VERY hard to get someone to do a small e-coat job (like one car) due to the potential for e-coat tank contamination.

Contamination is not an issue nor is it their concern. The issue e-coaters have is the disruption of the line to do old parts. The process has about 17 steps of various acid washes, rinses, etc.. The lines are geared and timed for production cleaning and coating of new stampings. They know that a new stamping will take x amount of time in a specific bath and the lines move smoothly. However, its anyone's guess how long it would take to strip and clean a 40 year old painted and rusted part - subsequently holding up normal production. THAT is why its hard to get someone to do a small job. But there are companies out there who specialize in the small jobs and will take on stripping and coating old metal. Make no mistake, it ain't cheap !!!
Posted By: ossietim

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 09/20/18 12:13 PM

What roughly does e coating cost?

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 09/21/18 02:30 PM

Ask the company that does it !!
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 09/21/18 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By HotRod20
International Paint Stripping in Romulus MI just off of I-275, very easy off and on the highway. I used them for my doors and planned on using them for my fenders,except my cars going to a new home. Chemical paint stripping and de-rusting and optional E coating, a one stop shop!.They do real nice work.

HR 20

I am local & have been with many of my buddies to pick up stuff that International in Romulus have stripped & coated for them. They can do cabs, beds & bodies (GM's) but they told me their baths were not large enough to do en entire uni-body like a Chrysler product with the additional length of the engine bay. But that was a few years ago. Maybe they have bought new larger bath tanks by now???

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 09/23/18 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By Stanton

I'm in Australia mate!

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 09/25/18 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By Stanton

I'm in Australia mate!

Then what's the point - you're not going to send anything there to be done !!

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 09/25/18 04:50 AM

Mark Kochanoski <abad67ss@sbcglobal.net>
Sat 2017-12-30, 10:10 AM
You
Trunk lid 175.00
Doors 150.00 ea
Fender 125.00 ea
Body 3200.00
Call to make an appointment on the body, it takes 2-3 weeks after you drop it off.

Mark Kochanoski

Int. Paint Stripping
734-942-0500 office
734-771-3190 cell

On Saturday, December 30, 2017 9:16 AM, Stan Giles wrote:

So what would the cost be to do the whole car - dip strip for paint and rust then e-coat ?
full size body
trunk lid
2 doors
2 front fenders

And what's your turnaround time ?

Thanks,
Stan

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 09/27/18 11:57 AM

Thanks for posting.

I had a e coating company here in Australia tell me that now our vehicle manufacturing has ceased,there are no tanks big enough to do the process .He did however ask what would one pay for having a car done (probably doing the economics of it ) ..hence my original question

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 09/27/18 03:40 PM

My car will be heading to a sheet metal artist in the new year. He wants it blasted and epoxy primed first. I'm not sold on blasting and want it dipped. He's not sold on dipping and wants it blasted. But it is MY car.

The cost to blast is about the same as the cost to dip strip (no ecoat). After blasting the bare metal still needs a prep before priming. I assume this will cost about the same as the added cost to ecoat.

The advantages of course are that the dipping and ecoat gets - I won't say "everywhere" - but at least in more places than blasting.

I'm also going to assume the ecoat process is much more diligent in its rinse cycles to get any of the strippers out of the seams than just dip stripping is.
Posted By: racerlall

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 10/01/18 03:36 AM

dip strip then metal work dip strip again and then e-cote
Posted By: Little Detroit

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 10/01/18 02:16 PM

what he said!

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 10/01/18 03:31 PM

Quote:
dip strip then metal work dip strip again and then e-cote

That's about $7000. worth of dipping and e-coating !!
Posted By: davesmopars

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 10/01/18 04:05 PM

Anyone know a dipping in the north east?
Posted By: cdp

Re: acid dipping and e coating - 10/03/18 02:38 AM

https://www.musclecarrestorations.com/ecoat.html

Not sure who these people are using, but I seen they seem to E-coat almost all the cars that go through a full restoration.
© 2024 Moparts Forums