Moparts

Radio nuts.

Posted By: cdp

Radio nuts. - 08/13/18 02:54 PM

I seem to be having a tough time finding the correct radio jam nuts.

Anyone know of a source and correct size?

Thanks
Chris
Posted By: topside

Re: Radio nuts. - 08/13/18 06:34 PM

I don't recall the thread size with certainty - hopefully someone else does, or you have a stash of nuts to try - but I'd think McMaster-Carr would have them.

Re: Radio nuts. - 08/13/18 06:42 PM

Thanks, they refer to them as "panel nuts".
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: Radio nuts. - 08/13/18 08:55 PM

You are talking about the two nuts that go on the threaded knob shafts on the radio ? Generally, you have to just score a cheap am junk radio at a swap meet to get them. That's what I do, since their is no source for selling them.
I just got some in yesterday , but generally speaking it would just about cost too much in time / postage
to make a sale on something this small make sense. You can PM me if you want.

Greg
Posted By: topside

Re: Radio nuts. - 08/14/18 05:17 AM

Just a thought: is there a car stereo guy near you? Granted, radios with knobs are basically antique, but they might have something laying around...
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Radio nuts. - 08/14/18 12:52 PM

Hardware store if you know the size
Posted By: moparx

Re: Radio nuts. - 08/14/18 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By 71rm23
Hardware store if you know the size

some of those thin nuts are used for lamps and lamp shades. need to know the size you need as stated.
beer

Re: Radio nuts. - 08/15/18 03:33 AM

They are 1/2-28's. I went to Ace, local HW store, lowes, etc. No one knew what I was talking about. Found them on eBay in bulk. Cheaper to by 25 than it is 2. LOL.

Found all kinds of switches, etc that use them. But no-one sold them separate.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panel-Nut-1-2-2...0-/251973732192

Re: Radio nuts. - 08/15/18 03:38 AM

BTW, looking for clips and fasteners, I did find this place:

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/category-s/758.htm

Nice way to find some bulk items cheap, rather than being nicked and dimed for small quantities.
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: Radio nuts. - 08/15/18 10:59 AM

Hopefully those will work out for you . $ 22 for a pair is pretty steep .
I'd sell you a set for $ 10 , and I thought that would make me sound like a jerk at that price. If those fit let me know . I know GM, Ford and Chrysler all used a different size . You can order the GM nuts all day long , but I have never found the Correct Chrysler ones . I have even bought assorted packs from old hardware stores with dozens of sizes and non fit .

Greg

Re: Radio nuts. - 08/16/18 12:38 AM

Greg,

$10 is a bargain for the right ones at this point.

I'll let you know.

I have a set of GM and ford, both different size. The threads are 1/2", so the only notable pitch is extra fine (28 TPI). I think these should work. Nothing special, just hard to find by the right name.

If they don't, then I'm sending you $10.
© 2024 Moparts Forums