Moparts

Vinyl top, how much to trim at bottom chrome moulding? Pics?

Posted By: GMP440

Vinyl top, how much to trim at bottom chrome moulding? Pics? - 08/11/18 07:06 PM

Hello,

I'm finishing up the vinyl top installation on my 68 Coronet 2 door.
How much do I trim at the bottom rear window corner where the bottom
chrome moulding sits?
Does anyone have any vinyl top pics from a Coronet, Satellite, Roadrunner, etc of this area without the chrome moulding?
Thanks. I included pics to show the area.

Attached picture corner detail.jpg
Attached picture Chrome corner.jpg
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Vinyl top, how much to trim at bottom chrome moulding? Pics? - 08/12/18 12:08 AM

Leave as much as possible, when the material shrinks back its nice to have enough to reach under the trim.n when it shows wheel metal between the top and trimmed it looks horrible.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Vinyl top, how much to trim at bottom chrome moulding? Pics? - 08/12/18 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By NANKET
Leave as much as possible, when the material shrinks back its nice to have enough to reach under the trim.n when it shows wheel metal between the top and trimmed it looks horrible.

Absolutely, the top will experience some initial shrinkage. Let it set for a couple weeks before you start trimming or put any 'C' pillar emblems on.
Posted By: topside

Re: Vinyl top, how much to trim at bottom chrome moulding? Pics? - 08/12/18 02:26 AM

Love the colors! Had a '68 Charger R/T in triple green like that.
Posted By: mopargem

Re: Vinyl top, how much to trim at bottom chrome moulding? Pics? - 08/12/18 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By 6PakBee
Originally Posted By NANKET

Absolutely, the top will experience some initial shrinkage. Let it set for a couple weeks before you start trimming or put any 'C' pillar emblems on.

iagree
Your pic looks perfect, tuck what’s left under the rear moulding and you should be good
Posted By: lockjaw-express

Re: Vinyl top, how much to trim at bottom chrome moulding? Pics? - 08/12/18 09:15 AM

GMP440,

How did your vinyl top install go with your windows installed? I was also thinking about a Vinyl top, but was told that the front/rear window needed to be removed...I also think that a Coronet uses a different mounding trim at the bottom/side of the rear window than a Roadrunner.

Thank for any tips or advice.

Re: Vinyl top, how much to trim at bottom chrome moulding? Pics? - 08/12/18 01:50 PM

The install went pretty good. This is the first time I did this myself.
Was not that hard.
I,ve had the vinyl top installed with the windows in before. No issues with doing it with the windows in.
Without the windows in ; it's just easier to tuck in the excess. But, you need to make sure you mark the holes for the moulding clips.
DAYCLONA, a member here; gave me very good installation instructions.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Vinyl top, how much to trim at bottom chrome moulding? Pics? - 08/12/18 08:52 PM

I did one with glass in, I later redid it with the glass out... works out better when you can put the flips for the reveal molding through the material. Problem I had was having to trip around clip and when it shrinks, you see where that cuts were made. Hopefully yours doesn't do the same.

Re: Vinyl top, how much to trim at bottom chrome moulding? Pics? - 08/12/18 09:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. Still looking to see if someone had taken a pic of this area during an install.

Re: Vinyl top, how much to trim at bottom chrome moulding? Pics? - 08/13/18 12:09 AM

I did mine myself with glass in almost a year ago and it’s holding up great and hasn’t shrunk where it’s out of the mouldings.
And yes C pillar moulding is longer on Bee than road runner.

Attached picture 9E2B28C2-9AFD-483A-8CF5-84C8ECD2C37A.jpeg
Attached picture 6F1F6347-725B-4658-BC0C-C800B3BA29BE.jpeg
Attached picture 7E1A7F81-5962-4397-8806-3F02F0E0BCE7.jpeg
Attached picture ED48582B-6E92-4E3D-9154-8D40A7C129B9.jpeg

Re: Vinyl top, how much to trim at bottom chrome moulding? Pics? - 08/13/18 12:39 AM

That mod top came out nice. I did the same as you by doing relief cuts on the excess material over lapping on the roof rail.
Made it real easy to push the material into the roof rail.

Re: Vinyl top, how much to trim at bottom chrome moulding? Pics? - 08/13/18 01:47 AM

A black top that sees a lot of sun will shrink more than a mod top I doubt sits outside much.

Re: Vinyl top, how much to trim at bottom chrome moulding? Pics? - 08/13/18 05:37 AM

Since I did not stretch the top while installing, I doubt it's going to shrink. I did the install on July 31st. No evidence of any shrinkage.

Re: Vinyl top, how much to trim at bottom chrome moulding? Pics? - 08/13/18 07:06 AM

You really can't stretch legendary's tops if that is what you used. Mine didn't shrink right away. After it sat stored over winter, that's when I noticed it. I was surprised how much it actually did shrink. After that I pulled the glass and did it right and only do them with the glass out.

Re: Vinyl top, how much to trim at bottom chrome moulding? Pics? - 08/13/18 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By Silver70
A black top that sees a lot of sun will shrink more than a mod top I doubt sits outside much.

Good point but my building does get very hot inside and it had been my car of choice to drive lately. It looks like the OP top is green scope
But agree the best way is to pull the glass but wasn’t about to blow this particular car apart because you what happens then, lol it can take years to finish and you never get to enjoy and drive the car and then you die eek
© 2024 Moparts Forums