Moparts

Information Binder on Car

Posted By: GTXKARL

Information Binder on Car - 07/22/18 03:59 AM

Good evening! I honestly don't know if this would be the right place to ask, but the kid and I have a question. She is putting together a binder of pictures and information on the car. She would like to know what kind of stuff do you think she should add? There is production numbers for the GTX, a copy of the broadcast sheet, the breakdown/decoding of the broadcast sheet she did (explaining each line), and I am working on getting together old pictures. What else should we add? up
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/22/18 04:10 AM

A copy of the SIAC record. ;-)

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/22/18 04:21 AM

Not a bad idea, Barry. cool
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/22/18 05:32 AM

Not sure about this 70 GTX obsession whistling

Attached picture IMG_0373.jpg

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/22/18 05:37 AM

On a serious note

I would add:

Magazine Reviews from 1970
Rapid Transit Literature
Anything found on the car that wasn't correct - mine for example has two emissions stickers, facing in opposite directions.
Pictures galore
Owner History as far back as you can go

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/22/18 07:13 PM

I just replied to your email.

Mapquest says your location is 15-20 minutes away from where the owner lived back in 1985, so it might be fun to drive over there with the car sometime just to see if he is still there.....
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/22/18 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By Alaskan_TA
I just replied to your email.

Mapquest says your location is 15-20 minutes away from where the owner lived back in 1985, so it might be fun to drive over there with the car sometime just to see if he is still there.....

Great idea!!

That would be a good way to create your own luck.

Even if they are not there, being the real deal with the car parked in front of the house might stir up a neighbor or two and lead to great opportunity. Drive by twice and park right in front of house. Be real obvious. Pick a good time on Saturday or Sunday when everyone is home... I’lll take a WAG at maybe 11 am Saturday?? Others’ suggestions.

People aren’t real hip on talking to stranglers at thier door with stories. But with the car to point to, changes everything.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/22/18 11:20 PM

A copy of the SIAC record. ;-)

Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference??? confused

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/22/18 11:20 PM

Special Interest Auto Club

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/23/18 12:59 AM

Thanks for the ideas, Morty! I found some of the old Rapid Transit literature that I'll print out in the next few days. The kid printed out the press releases from her favorite site (a.k.a Barry's Hamtramck Historical). Then she found photos from another website of official press release photos. She also found an article from an old newspaper that she pieced together. Her next thing is finding the magazine reviews from 1970.
Posted By: topside

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/23/18 02:39 AM

A few other things, depending on how much/what kind of stuff you want:

Road tests
Magazine ad pages
Salesman's Price/Order Guide
Sales brochure
Reproduction Monroney label that the car would have worn @ dealership

Obviously if you want to document that specific car, LOTS of photos of everything on it, as already stated.

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/23/18 02:49 AM

Original Monroney labels can help document a car.

New ones made up out of thin air have no value at all.

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/23/18 04:27 AM

Originally Posted By GTXKARL
Thanks for the ideas, Morty! I found some of the old Rapid Transit literature that I'll print out in the next few days. The kid printed out the press releases from her favorite site (a.k.a Barry's Hamtramck Historical). Then she found photos from another website of official press release photos. She also found an article from an old newspaper that she pieced together. Her next thing is finding the magazine reviews from 1970.

Oh I forgot

You need the postcard. Do you have that?

I think that the reason so many GTXs are FK5

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/23/18 04:31 AM

FK5 was a popular color with the Chrysler brass.

Most of the Chrysler executive lease / salesman 1970 Challengers I have seen information on so far are FK5.

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/23/18 04:44 AM

FK5 was a popular color with the Chrysler brass.

Most of the Chrysler executive lease / salesman 1970 Challengers I have seen information on so far are FK5.

Probably because it's an awesome color cool
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/23/18 05:44 AM

Yeah, it's OK
Posted By: topside

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/23/18 05:45 AM

Barry, I'm not suggesting a fake/misleading/fraudulent Monroney.
That's why I worded it the way I did, which I thought was pretty clear.

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/23/18 06:08 AM

Originally Posted By NANKET
Yeah, it's OK

The great thing about 1970 is all the color choices.

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/23/18 11:42 AM

I wanted to load a photo, but it isn't happening.

Yes it's a cool color, it turns gold in the sun and then it looks great. Hard to impossible to duplicate the correct factory look of this paint in today's world.

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/24/18 01:42 AM

Hi, Morty.

I just purchased one today after seeing your mention of it! Thanks for the suggestion. up

I think I remember something about it being one of the top three colors sold that year aside from B5 - Blue Fire Metallic.

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/24/18 02:20 AM

Email it to me if you want & I'll see what I can do.

If it is the car I think it is, it is a stunner.

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/24/18 06:08 AM

Yes it's a cool color, it turns gold in the sun and then it looks great. Hard to impossible to duplicate the correct factory look of this paint in today's world.

My GTX is original paint and I have seen numerous cars repainted FK5 where it is way, way off. Usually it's base coat / clear coat and it's way to light.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/24/18 06:16 AM

top 3 GTX colors for '70 are:
#1 EB5
#2 FK5
#3 EF8

these 3 colors account for more than 1/3 of production

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/24/18 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By Morty426
My GTX is original paint and I have seen numerous cars repainted FK5 where it is way, way off. Usually it's base coat / clear coat and it's way to light.

You are so right, Morty. I remember the kid thought this snippet that the kid saved from the Graveyard Carz website back from last Novemeber about FK5 that she thought was interesting.

This was the snippet: "When tinting a color like Burnt Orange, different paint is used to try and match the exact color. To lighten the tint, either white or yellow is added, and to darken the tint, black is added. This is a very delicate process and it can be easy to ruin a batch of paint if too much pigment is added. After this process is done the paint is then thinned down for spraying."

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/24/18 09:58 PM

The kid's stuck on decoding the broadcast sheet. She's having some difficulty with the third line. More specifically the difficulty is with the steering column and steering wheel type box too. Any ideas on what the code 16 is? It's listed 16TT. She knows from a book that the TT is the color code for the wheel and that its Wood grain. No idea about the correct steering wheel type code, though.

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/25/18 02:33 AM

The kid's stuck on decoding the broadcast sheet. She's having some difficulty with the third line. More specifically the difficulty is with the steering column and steering wheel type box too. Any ideas on what the code 16 is? It's listed 16TT. She knows from a book that the TT is the color code for the wheel and that its Wood grain. No idea about the correct steering wheel type code, though.

16TT should be a wood grain steering wheel

08X9 would be the standard black wheel

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/25/18 02:42 AM

Thank you for the confirmation on the color code. smile

Also, do you have any idea what the number 16 in front of the TT means? Or does it just go along with the TT?

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/25/18 02:46 AM

Thank you for the confirmation on the color code. smile

Also, do you have any idea what the number 16 in front of the TT means? Or does it just go along with the TT?

I believe, and Dan can correct me if I am wrong, that the first two digits are wheel type and the last two are color.

08 - Standard Wheel
X9 - Black

16 - Wood Wheel
TT - Wood Color

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/25/18 02:49 AM

Okay, thanks. The kid has been using a Decoding Series manual book and it wasn't too explanatory. I am trying to help her. I am pretty sure some of the book is inaccurate.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/25/18 03:41 AM

correct - the full part number for the woodgrain '70 b-body steering wheel is - 4016 FTT

I have a factory quart of FK5 lacquer - it is a great color drool

Attached picture 1970s FK5.jpg

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/25/18 04:17 AM

Original paint X

Attached picture image.jpg

Re: Information Binder on Car - 07/25/18 04:26 AM

It still looks great! grin Not a day over forty.

Re: Information Binder on Car - 08/27/18 05:19 PM

The research has been coming along well! The kid has been hitting some roadblocks with the buildsheet deciphering, but she's getting through it slowly.

Big thanks to Barry for the SIAC sheet it was really cool to see and to show to people in the binder at car shows.

Anyway, I was wondering does anyone know what happened to the records after the Chrysler Historical museum closed? Who might have them?

Re: Information Binder on Car - 08/28/18 07:38 AM

The research has been coming along well! The kid has been hitting some roadblocks with the buildsheet deciphering, but she's getting through it slowly.

Big thanks to Barry for the SIAC sheet it was really cool to see and to show to people in the binder at car shows.

Anyway, I was wondering does anyone know what happened to the records after the Chrysler Historical museum closed? Who might have them?

There were no records at the Chrysler Historical Museum.

It's believed that most records were destroyed in the Chrysler building fire.

So what we have is a lot of guys trying to reconstruct the data from the forensic evidence.

Re: Information Binder on Car - 08/28/18 06:29 PM

Thanks, Chris! I was partially unsure. I heard there was a fire, but I also saw something online called Chrysler Historical Collection or something? That is why I was a 100% unsure.

https://maxwedge.com/research/cchist.php
© 2024 Moparts Forums