Moparts

Replacing Windshield in '68 Barracuda

Posted By: Erik

Replacing Windshield in '68 Barracuda - 07/16/18 04:02 PM

On the way home from Carlisle I had the unfortunate pleasure of my windshield cracking. I have never replaced one on an A-body, so I have a couple of questions.

1. Where is the best place to get replacement glass? I see them at the big parts places like Classic Industries and such.

2. Can I reuse the old gasket? It was replaced when the car was restored. Or will I need to get a new one.

3. Is there any kind of sealer that needs to be used with the new gasket?

Thanks!
Posted By: njmopar

Re: Replacing Windshield in '68 Barracuda - 07/16/18 05:34 PM

That stinks about your glass. Way to ruin a ride home.
If you are looking for date coded, makes finding more complex. I got mine from ECS. There are mixed reviews of various vendor quality and ECS seemed to have the best reputation. Looks distortion free to me, which was the primary complaint I saw.
I am not positive about the gasket. I know on my convertible you could save it, since there is the lock strip. Since you are trashing your old glass, then you may be in luck. Assuming there is not an abundance of sealer from previous install. You dont need sealer, but many use urethane as extra insurance.
You may want to pick up a set of trim clips to have on hand if they get damaged on removal. Sadly, you could have purchased at the show....
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Replacing Windshield in '68 Barracuda - 07/16/18 05:38 PM

You can source a new windshield at a local glass shop. I would also ask them about installation it may be well worth it to let them do it for the price. That way if they happen to break the new one installing it, it won't cost you any extra. The windshield seal is readily available but yours is likely in good shape.
Posted By: Erik

Re: Replacing Windshield in '68 Barracuda - 07/16/18 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By njmopar
That stinks about your glass. Way to ruin a ride home.
If you are looking for date coded, makes finding more complex. I got mine from ECS. There are mixed reviews of various vendor quality and ECS seemed to have the best reputation. Looks distortion free to me, which was the primary complaint I saw.
I am not positive about the gasket. I know on my convertible you could save it, since there is the lock strip. Since you are trashing your old glass, then you may be in luck. Assuming there is not an abundance of sealer from previous install. You dont need sealer, but many use urethane as extra insurance.
You may want to pick up a set of trim clips to have on hand if they get damaged on removal. Sadly, you could have purchased at the show....

I am not worried about date coding. There was no sealer at all used when the windshield was put into place during the restoration. Leaked badly on the way home in that rain! Hence my question about sealer with the gasket.
Posted By: challengersteve

Re: Replacing Windshield in '68 Barracuda - 07/17/18 11:27 PM

I use a 3M sealer designed just for front and rear windows. I apply it to the inside groove of the gasket that the windshield frame goes into before installing the seal in the car. You should be able to reuse your gasket but make sure it does not get torn when removed. Not a hard job but can be frustrating.
Posted By: DUSTER_340

Re: Replacing Windshield in '68 Barracuda - 07/19/18 04:11 AM

This what you want to use.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Auto-Bedding-and-Glazing-Compound/?N=5002385+3293194048&rt=rud

Do not use urethane that will destroy the seal if you ever need to remove the glass again.
© 2024 Moparts Forums