Moparts

1970 SUNROOF INFO NEEDED

Posted By: stevenjuliano

1970 SUNROOF INFO NEEDED - 03/08/09 08:06 PM

Hi Guys...First please no health related questions. I need some normalcy in my life and researching nonsense like this is an escape from the reality i now find myself in.

For the first ever i attempted to order a repop headliner for one of my cars. its a 1970 challenger sunroof car. the boys at legendary were at a loss.

Of course my restorer discarded the one that was in the car so i no longer have a template to send them. sometimes i think hes done more damage to my health than the cancer.

Do any of you have any photos you can share of a sunroof challenger headliner? we need to know the number of bows, seam location, etc... I dont know if ASC simply cut a hole in the headliners that came from chrysler on the cars when new or did they install their own?

Yes i know i currently own the big kahuna of sunroof cars (loaded 71 hemi challenger) that could answer all my questions but regrettably i now find myself at a disadvanatage.

best wishes to all. thank you.
steven
rapidduster@aol.com
www.stevenjuliano.com
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 1970 SUNROOF INFO NEEDED - 03/08/09 08:25 PM

Ken Mosier at The Finer Details did one a few years ago, (he is a member here) I am sure he could talk you through it. I have a couple interior photos of that car, but they are quite dark. I'll play with them & see if I can lighten them up some....

Gary Bieneke could help too, he has a lot of sunroof experience.

Re: 1970 SUNROOF INFO NEEDED - 03/08/09 08:32 PM

Attached picture 5079013-70sunroofinteriorfront.JPG

Re: 1970 SUNROOF INFO NEEDED - 03/08/09 08:33 PM

Attached picture 5079016-70sunroofinteriorrear.JPG
Posted By: VCODE

Re: 1970 SUNROOF INFO NEEDED - 03/08/09 08:35 PM

Hey Steve,

Yes,Check with Ken.He may be busy tonight.He was at the Indy Trade Meet with some cars.One was mine
can't wait for you to see it

I will give you a call this week
Bob

Re: 1970 SUNROOF INFO NEEDED - 03/08/09 08:37 PM

I have not had a 1970 sunroof car to take apart but...

The 1973 car I did had no bows, foam was glued to the bottom of the pan (contact cement) & then the headliner material was glued to that before the pan was installed in the car. From there it was just a matter of tucking, trimming & gluing the edges.

Re: 1970 SUNROOF INFO NEEDED - 03/08/09 08:38 PM

ken mosier? yes i know him. annoying guy out of indiana with a nice wife named pat. if it wasnt for her nobody would come by his spot at the nats. i spoke to him about this last week. he did shed some light on the issue.

so barry do you think calling him annoying will flush him out? just kidding...ken and i have been good friends for decades.

barry thanks AGAIN for your help. alaska is on my short list of places on earth yet to see.

Re: 1970 SUNROOF INFO NEEDED - 03/08/09 08:41 PM

Quote:

Hey Steve,

Yes,Check with Ken.He may be busy tonight.He was at the Indy Trade Meet with some cars.
Bob

BOB....SOME CARS? I HEARD IT WAS YOUR CAR. CONGRATS. STEVE

Re: 1970 SUNROOF INFO NEEDED - 03/08/09 08:49 PM

Come on up for a visit, you can use my phone to call the annoying red-headed step child in Indy.
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: 1970 SUNROOF INFO NEEDED - 03/08/09 08:55 PM

My 71 Charger R/T sunroof has one bow in the back and the Challenger was probally the same as it has a smaller roof overall. I just got a local upholstery place to make a headliner with one seam for a bow (uses the rear bow only) and leave extra materal everyware. Im not 100% sure, but I dont think ASC used the orig headliner on my car as the headline was orig when I got the car in 1983 with 26K miles.
Posted By: NicksGarage

Re: 1970 SUNROOF INFO NEEDED - 03/10/09 07:48 PM

Quote:

Yes i know i currently own the big kahuna of sunroof cars (loaded 71 hemi challenger) that could answer all my questions but regrettably i now find myself at a disadvanatage.

I'll see if I have any ceiling pictures of the '71 in the ones I've taken.

Nick.
© 2024 Moparts Forums