Moparts

How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY

Posted By: Dixie

How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/05/18 12:35 AM

Guys,

I cleaned out a parts barn I had and found some '69 rotors and drums. They have some rust on them. Is there a way to chemically strip them?

I'm thinking of a do it yourself solution I can mix up and put these parts in drum and let soak. Any suggestions on that?

Afterwards, how should I keep them from flash rusting until used? Spray with oil?

Thanks!
Randy
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/05/18 12:52 AM

Buy yourself a 5 gallon pail of Evaporust.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/05/18 01:34 AM

I use Evaporust, rinse off with hot water (I installed an outside hot water hose bib) & then I spray them down with WD-40 so they do not start to rust.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/05/18 05:31 AM

Order a 5 gal pail of Evapo-Rust from Northern Tool online, and pick up at the store for no added shipping cost.

Inspect after 30 minute to see progress. Wash off Evapo-Rust before it dries with a 2" paint brush and mineral spirits and wipe with shop rag. Buff with an 8" wire wheel in a drill motor. I can't prove it, but I believe wire brushing slows or prevents rusting.

If all rust down to the bottoms of all rust pits isn't gone, re-immerse and repeat.

If all rust down to the bottoms of all rust pits is gone, wash and wipe with mineral spirits, wire wheel, followed by brushing on phosphoric acid with a 1" nylon paint brush. Wash off acid with mineral spirits before the acid dries. This leaves a very thin and almost invisible coat of acid that almost always prevents re-rusting. If minor re-rusting does occur later, it is easily and quickly removed by re-wetting with phosphoric acid and scrubbing with a Scotch-Brite pad. This works very well on steel body panels waiting for paint that should not be oiled. Wash the Scotch-brite pad immediately with water or it will turn to powder.

I've also used just vinegar and both Evapo-Rust and vinegar on cast iron brake drums with good results. A short dip in Evapo-Rust followed by a vinegar soak seemed to make the rust scale pop off and finish up de-rusting quicker. Use the same methods as above to prevent rust without oil, or you can add oil too if you want.

Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/05/18 05:51 AM

Yes, Evaporust. These drums were soaked overnight, left is before, right is after. The paint is the factory red paint & raw cast iron, no paint.

Attached picture A body Red Drum 2.jpg
Attached picture Demon Red Drum Small.jpg

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/06/18 03:22 PM

So, vinegar or evaporust, huh? Ok, I'll give it a shot!

kentj340, that's quite the process, thanks!
Posted By: CDN72SE

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/06/18 07:42 PM

Sometimes I do the vinegar and lemon first and then finish it off with the Evaporust. Makes my evaporust last longer.
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/07/18 12:08 AM

Take them to the machine shop and have them shot blasted
Posted By: MattW

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/07/18 04:10 AM

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/07/18 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
Yes, Evaporust. These drums were soaked overnight, left is before, right is after. The paint is the factory red paint & raw cast iron, no paint.

Scott , That's really great to remove Rust ..... however ...... Won't that like

instantly Re-Rust ? ? ? Do you do anything to prevent that ? shruggy

Use "RPM" ? ? ? on Drums ? ? ? work

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/07/18 06:55 PM

On these drums I didnt use RPM (but could have). I seasoned them in my oven like a frying pan. I washed the Evaporust off with Acetone (NOT WATER!) and a 0000 steel wool pad then coated them in heavy bacon grease and popped them in the oven at 250 for 3 hours cooling them slowly for 3 more hours. After I cleaned the pad contact areas with brake cleaner and installed. A month or so of daily driving in mixed weather, zero rust so far smile
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/07/18 07:06 PM

('Painted' my drums with black POR 15...

Been over 20 years...

They still look like the day the POR went on...

They're behind some Rallyes...

Worked well for longevity, OEM, not so much...
Posted By: Michael Ecks

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/07/18 11:26 PM

On these drums I didnt use RPM (but could have). I seasoned them in my oven like a frying pan. I washed the Evaporust off with Acetone (NOT WATER!) and a 0000 steel wool pad then coated them in heavy bacon grease and popped them in the oven at 250 for 3 hours cooling them slowly for 3 more hours. After I cleaned the pad contact areas with brake cleaner and installed. A month or so of daily driving in mixed weather, zero rust so far smile

You coated your brake parts with.... bacon grease?

THIS IS THE MOST AWESOME POST EVAR! up

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/08/18 12:24 AM

Sure did! ....and now after some hard breaking I get to smell bacon....WINNING! smile

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/08/18 01:34 AM

Sure did! ....and now after some hard breaking I get to smell bacon....WINNING! smile

Yummm....B..A..C..O..N...…….
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/08/18 02:40 AM

Sure would be a good reason to eat a big slab of applewood smoked bacon !! up

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/08/18 02:48 AM

Quote:
Sure would be a good reason to eat a big slab of applewood smoked bacon !! up

I had an opposite thought the day I did it. I had just cooked up a big batch of custom smoked bacon and thought "Wow that sure smells good, wonder what I should do with this all of this awesome grease?" LOL!

*Hey, its a different approach, if you don't experiment you never learn new things smile
Posted By: MoparABE

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/10/18 11:30 PM

Maybe you could bottle up the bacon grease and compete with the RPM product? What could you call it?
Posted By: dragon slayer

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/11/18 04:52 AM

If you are allergic to bacon, vegetable oil works and won't hurt any rubber brake parts.

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/11/18 06:12 AM

Can you imagine a life without bacon? eek whiney

*But yes, you can season cast iron with pretty much any kind of oil.
Posted By: charles6970

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/11/18 09:17 AM

Muriatic acid, 1 gal. $9.00 at home depot.
Same as hydrocloric acid.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/11/18 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By dragon slayer
If you are allergic to bacon, vegetable oil works and won't hurt any rubber brake parts.

Who the heck is allergic to bacon? Never heard of that one.
Posted By: dragon slayer

Re: How to strip rust from large items like drums/rotors - DIY - 06/11/18 05:28 PM

A joke, forgot the smiley face.
© 2024 Moparts Forums