Moparts

Reproduction Antique Mopar Battery

Posted By: faud88

Reproduction Antique Mopar Battery - 06/04/18 02:19 AM

Where is the best place to source reproduction antique Mopar batteries these days?
Posted By: therocks

Re: Reproduction Antique Mopar Battery - 06/04/18 02:41 AM

There is a place near here in Youngstown Ohio that supposedly makes good ones.Cant remember the name but Google should have it.Rocky
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: Reproduction Antique Mopar Battery - 06/04/18 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By therocks
There is a place near here in Youngstown Ohio that supposedly makes good ones.Cant remember the name but Google should have it.Rocky

I think it was bought out, I think the new name is Jim's Batteries.
Posted By: faud88

Re: Reproduction Antique Mopar Battery - 06/04/18 03:23 AM

The reviews that are out there for Antique Auto Battery or Jim's Battery are not very positive. Any other players out there?
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Reproduction Antique Mopar Battery - 06/04/18 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By faud88
Any other players out there?

(Go find a core, and have the internals replaced...
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Reproduction Antique Mopar Battery - 06/04/18 04:17 AM

Turbostart is tooling up to get repro Mopar batteries on the market too, but I don't know their ETA.
Another option is to use a battery topper.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Reproduction Antique Mopar Battery - 06/04/18 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By RS23U1G
Originally Posted By faud88
Any other players out there?

(Go find a core, and have the internals replaced...

Yep, there is another post going on about this now. This is what I do. cheaper, turns over easier & goes from like 46 lbs to about 18 lbs.

Attached picture Odyssey inside of stock battery.jpg
Attached picture 100_1698.jpg
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Reproduction Antique Mopar Battery - 06/04/18 09:15 PM

That fits nice in the repro group 27. up But have you ever done one with a group 24? I'm wondering if the mini battery and cables would fit in the smaller case.

Re: Reproduction Antique Mopar Battery - 06/05/18 05:30 PM

Should still work inside of a group 24 size battery also.
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: Reproduction Antique Mopar Battery - 06/05/18 07:59 PM

My buddy just got his red cap after a 3 month wait from this place: Link
Posted By: KWF340

Re: Reproduction Antique Mopar Battery - 06/05/18 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By Mastershake340
That fits nice in the repro group 27. up But have you ever done one with a group 24? I'm wondering if the mini battery and cables would fit in the smaller case.

I've done it - it does fit.

Link
Posted By: 340cpe

Re: Reproduction Antique Mopar Battery - 06/05/18 10:25 PM

Well I will probably will take some heat for this but in July of 2012 I purchased a group 24 yellow cap from antique auto battery, May of 2018, after a long winters nap, I attached the negative cable, put a bit of fuel in the bowl vent of the carb, cranked it over with ease and Wa-La it started! Obviously my point being that the battery still works well after 6 years use. Used the car this past weekend with no difficulties. My luck I probably just jinxed myself!!!
Posted By: cbusters

Re: Reproduction Antique Mopar Battery - 06/06/18 01:06 AM

Mine is well over 6 years old and still spins the engine over great.
Posted By: steve70

Re: Reproduction Antique Mopar Battery - 06/06/18 12:29 PM

My yellow cap from Antique Auto will be 8 years old in August and my red cap will be 7 in October. I've never had any issues. Just follow the instructions and NEVER use a battery tender.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Reproduction Antique Mopar Battery - 06/06/18 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By steve70
My yellow cap from Antique Auto will be 8 years old in August and my red cap will be 7 in October. I've never had any issues. Just follow the instructions and NEVER use a battery tender.

I got almost 12 years out of my red cap group 27 (Turbostart) with zero issues during that time... never used/needed a battery tender, would go 3-4 months during the winter not used, always started the car with no hesitation
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: Reproduction Antique Mopar Battery - 06/06/18 07:47 PM

I also had excellent like with my Turbostart group 27 years ago...like 8-10 years with light use and indoor winter storage with a battery tender.

Re: Reproduction Antique Mopar Battery - 06/06/18 08:28 PM

I used to get 6-8 years out of them several years ago but the last two I purchased only lasted about 2 years each which is why I started doing the whole gut & hide process.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Reproduction Antique Mopar Battery - 06/08/18 02:30 AM

Supposedly the new turbostart pieces will have better materials and quality control with the new company taking the reigns...Considering the lifespan of the old AGM units the new ones will be a welcome alternative for a big hole in the market at the moment...I,for one would like to purchase a battery and move on to the fun stuff for the next 10yrs...
© 2024 Moparts Forums