Moparts

White vinyl interior: best product, method for cleaning?

Posted By: A12

White vinyl interior: best product, method for cleaning? - 04/24/18 07:35 AM

What's the best, safest product for cleaning and restoring a white vinyl interior, seats, door and side panels back to as white color as possible?

It doesn't have any tears, rips or holes just not white like it used to be and I'd like to save it if possible. Thought about the whitewall tire bleach or marine mold/mildew products or vinyl and leather cleaner but if there is something that you might have had the best success with or the method using any product I'd really appreciate some help before going down the wrong path. Thanks in advance as always.

Mike
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: White vinyl interior: best product, method for cleaning? - 04/24/18 03:21 PM

If you want to really strip the crap/dirt/aged look from white interior/exterior vinyl, I use 3M general purpose adhesive remover

Word of caution, once you start you have to finish as it really whitens the surface, use ONLY CLEAN WHITE RAGS, make sure you only wipe the vinyl surface,do a small area at a time, change out for a fresh rag as often as possible, don't saturate the area, don't stay in one area too long, give the cleaner time to evaporate and the vinyl time to recover, touch noting else when cleaning as you might smear that color into the white grain, keep it away from painted/dyed surfaces...

All the other "whitening" products pale in comparison

Mike
Posted By: RJS

Re: White vinyl interior: best product, method for cleaning? - 04/24/18 04:35 PM

Zaino's interior cleaner.
Ron
Posted By: a12rag

Re: White vinyl interior: best product, method for cleaning? - 04/24/18 04:41 PM

Fantastic . . . have used that on the white interior of my 74 Duster360 for years, using a scrub brush to even keep the stitching bright white !!! . . .
Posted By: topside

Re: White vinyl interior: best product, method for cleaning? - 04/24/18 04:46 PM

Years ago I used the whitewall bleach stuff on a dirty white interior (years of sitting) and it was very effective. Had to be careful with it, as it seemed capable of actually melting the vinyl a bit. Had to air the car out afterwards.
Maybe better products have come along; I wonder if Simple Green would work well, I don't recall trying that.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: White vinyl interior: best product, method for cleaning? - 04/24/18 05:03 PM

We used to use spray 9 to clean vinyl seats, door panels etc. Pretty much spray and wipe right off with little effort. Doesn't hurt anything if it stays on longer.

Re: White vinyl interior: best product, method for cleaning? - 04/24/18 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By topside
I wonder if Simple Green would work well, I don't recall trying that.

Simple Green is overrated, dish soap is a better product than SG
Posted By: mopargem

Re: White vinyl interior: best product, method for cleaning? - 04/24/18 07:30 PM

I found out Crown available at Walmart is a very good cleaner and safe
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: White vinyl interior: best product, method for cleaning? - 04/24/18 08:07 PM

I tried several different cleaners on my convertible's white top over time and never had much success. Last year I had some work being done on it by a local Mopar shop, and he noticed the dirty top and asked if I wanted him to clean it for me. I said if it wouldn't take much time and run up my bill much more, go ahead.
When I got the car back, the top looked like new! He said he used Westley's Bleach white, and a lot of water to rinse it off. Then after he was finished, he used a vinyl preservative like Mothers.
I assume it would work equally well on interiors, though it would be best to remove the seats and do them out on the driveway or patio rather than while in the car.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: White vinyl interior: best product, method for cleaning? - 04/24/18 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By Silver70
We used to use spray 9 to clean vinyl seats, door panels etc. Pretty much spray and wipe right off with little effort. Doesn't hurt anything if it stays on longer.

Have also used Spray 9 with good success too ! . . .
Posted By: A12

Re: White vinyl interior: best product, method for cleaning? - 04/25/18 06:53 PM

Thanks Mike I'll cautiously give that a try up and funny thing the other day in the auto parts I looked at a can of that exact 3M product and said that might work.....naw, no way wink

Thanks everyone too, for the replies, more replies and experiences are appreciated.

Mike
Posted By: rallye73

Re: White vinyl interior: best product, method for cleaning? - 04/26/18 06:43 AM

I've used hand cleaner and fairly soft scrub brush with good results. I figured if it's safe for your hands then it should be safe for the seats.

Re: White vinyl interior: best product, method for cleaning? - 04/26/18 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By rallye73
I've used hand cleaner and fairly soft scrub brush with good results. I figured if it's safe for your hands then it should be safe for the seats.

Someone recommended using GOOP brand hand cleaner on white interior cleaning, I haven't had the chance to try it though?
Posted By: fuelishnsilly

Re: White vinyl interior: best product, method for cleaning? - 04/27/18 03:48 AM

My friend had good luck with Meguiar's #39 Heavy Duty Vinyl cleaner followed up by the #40 Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner / conditioner
Posted By: cdp

Re: White vinyl interior: best product, method for cleaning? - 04/28/18 12:13 AM

Believe it or not, quick-n-brite worked really well on cleaning a white interior that had allot of mildew on it. I'd say a lanolin based cleaner, a soft scrub brush, and a cheap set of micro-fiber towels will do wonders.
© 2024 Moparts Forums