Moparts

Original AAR Exhaust Tips

Posted By: AAR#2

Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 04:32 PM

Hey guys, I hoping theres an expert on these things to confirm my suspicion. I have a set of megaphone exhaust tips that I have good reason to believe are NOS, but without a PN on them its tough to say for sure. I did find a set pictured on Ebay where the tips had a tape ID tag on them that supports why I wouldn't find a stamped number.
Heres a few pics with details, perhaps one of you can confirm.

Attached picture IMG_6081.JPG

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 04:37 PM

Both have the internal deformed pipe

Attached picture IMG_6083.JPG
Attached picture IMG_6084.JPG

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 04:39 PM

Each is deformed intentionally leading up to the chrome tip

Attached picture IMG_6085.JPG
Attached picture IMG_6086.JPG
Posted By: floyd

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 04:39 PM

I’m pretty sure originals and NOS have a weep hole on the underside in the pipe near where the chrome tip starts. I haven’t seen repros with those.

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 04:43 PM

I’d guess those are repros. In addition to the lack of weep holes, I’ve never seen an NOS pair with really nice chrome or great black paint. I can post some pics of an NOS set later tonight.

and each carry a raised dimple at the muffler connection.

Attached picture IMG_6087.JPG
Attached picture IMG_6088.JPG
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

The NOS tail pipes have a small locating tab on the inlet tube.

I have not seen that on any reproductions yet.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 04:52 PM

I have an NOS one here and I have a pair of restored originals installed on my T/A.
(the quality of the chrome on these is poor enough that I doubt anyone would want to install an NOS pair on their car without having them rechromed first).
My NOS has the Chrysler part number tag approximately 4" from the chromed end "megaphone". There is a 3/16" diameter drain hole on the bottom of the pipe in the middle of the area around 6" from the end that installs in the muffler. The flat on the pipe leading into where it's welded to the tip doesn't have a distinct tooling mark like that shown in your picture.
And finally something I noticed on originals that I'm not sure if the repros have, is a small nipple or nub 1-3/4" from the end that installs in the muffler which is an indicator mark to how far the pipe inserts into the muffler exit pipe.
It's been a while since I looked closely at a repro, so I don't know if they have these details the originals have.

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By floyd
I’d guess those are repros. In addition to the lack of weep holes, I’ve never seen an NOS pair with really nice chrome or great black paint. I can post some pics of an NOS set later tonight.

Thanks for the help, and you would ask about the bottom, I don't recall anything particular about them on the bottom other than what appears like two small weld spots.

And who said the chrome or paint is nice, LOL They do look pretty good but I got these with the car purchase 12 years ago from a guy who purchased the car as a project in 1982. He started collecting parts for the 'one day' project. He lived in TX for a bit and moved to AZ shortly after purchase, so I suspect these have been stored in a great environment for this period.

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By Alaskan_TA
The NOS tail pipes have a small locating tab on the inlet tube.

I have not seen that on any reproductions yet.

Barry, are you thinking of the notch on the muffler?

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 05:04 PM

The locating tabs on the pipes fit in the notches on the mufflers.

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 05:09 PM

So am I to understand that both connections to the muffler carried the cutout tab, meaning that both the head pipe and exhaust tip would have the added mating slug welded to it?

If thats the case, this is an easy visual to say these are not originals.

Any pics of this? or perhaps one of the others will post up pics shortly

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By AAR#2

So am I to understand that both connections to the muffler carried the cutout tab, meaning that both the head pipe and exhaust tip would have the added mating slug welded to it?

If thats the case, this is an easy visual to say these are not originals.

Any pics of this? or perhaps one of the others will post up pics shortly

Heres a set of mufflers listed as original that recently posted on Ebay, note the notch appears only on one side.

I also included the claimed original tips, that coupled with another factor had making me think these could be legit.

Attached picture Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 8.11.29 AM.png
Attached picture Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 8.12.03 AM.png

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 05:23 PM

"positioning spuds" mentioned in the installation instructions at http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/imag....%2080%20p2.jpg

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 05:25 PM

There is a tab on original head pipes that inserts into the slot.
The nub or nipple prevents the tip from being installed too deep into the muffler, and gives a guide as to how far the tip inserts into the muffler. There is no slot for it, you install the tip until the nub contacts the muffler exit pipe.

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 05:32 PM

Just noticed something else while looking at my NOS tip. There are actually 2 positioning spuds (as an engineer I need to use the correct term, thanks Barry for clarifying that!). And the positioning spuds are on a horizontal plane on the pipe (9 o clock and 3 o'clock positions when the pipe is installed)

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By Mastershake340
Just noticed something else while looking at my NOS tip. There are actually 2 positioning spuds (as an engineer I need to use the correct term, thanks Barry for clarifying that!). And the positioning spuds are on a horizontal plane on the pipe (9 o clock and 3 o'clock positions when the pipe is installed)

Any chance of getting a pic of either set you have?

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 07:02 PM

I'll take some pictures. I'm usually on my iPad these days but will fire up the ol laptop later today, download the pix and post.

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 07:27 PM

Sorry I dropped off for a bit, its Easter and I got called to Cheese Cake duty, pretty mean Amaretto recipe.

So I just went and pulled the tips again and to my surprise there are two spuds on each. Since its hard to capture both I have my fingers placed over them to show orientation. I'd call the clocking about 11 and 5 on these

While I had them out I saw no sign of any "Drain Hole", I'd sure like to see your clocking and drain hole pics.

And thanks for all the help guys

Attached picture IMG_6090.jpg
Attached picture IMG_6091.JPG

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 07:47 PM

On a side note I had these as well . . . just thought interesting.

Attached picture IMG_6075.JPG
Attached picture IMG_6078.JPG
Attached picture IMG_6080.JPG

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 11:06 PM

Those muffler straps are nice! I only managed to get one side OE for my restoration (from Floyd), and would like to find a OE passenger side one someday to replace the repro I have.
Here are the pictures of the positioning stubs on my NOS tip. Hard to photograph, hope my pointer pens do the trick in pointing them out!

Attached picture IMG_4683.JPG
Attached picture IMG_4684.JPG

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/01/18 11:09 PM

Here are some pictures of the NOS tip showing the drain hole.

Attached picture IMG_4686.JPG
Attached picture IMG_4685.JPG
Attached picture IMG_4689.JPG

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/02/18 12:44 AM

Looks like Barry beat me to it. Here are some pics of mine, with some other areas that may differ from repro.

Attached picture IMG_7650 small.jpg
Attached picture IMG_7651 small.jpg
Attached picture IMG_7652 small.jpg

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/02/18 12:45 AM

A few more

Attached picture IMG_7653 small.jpg
Attached picture IMG_7654 small.jpg
Attached picture IMG_7655 small.jpg

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/02/18 12:46 AM

Last one

Attached picture IMG_7656 small.jpg

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/02/18 01:00 AM

As far as those straps go. I believe the repro mufflers have a slightly larger diameter than originals. If I recall correctly, the repro straps will not work with NOS mufflers.

Does any one know which part number 3466967/3466939) goes to LH/RH?

BTW, I have a set of NOS straps without the stamped part numbers

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/02/18 05:22 AM

Well thanks guys, I wasn’t convinced until I saw the hole, that convinced me the ones I have are not NOS, and if I had one in hand I may find other subtleties that are sometimes hard to tell by photos alone.

And unsure what I plan to do with those straps at the moment.
Posted By: jeff968

Re: Original AAR Exhaust Tips - 04/02/18 05:06 PM

I have an NOS one here and I have a pair of restored originals installed on my T/A.
(the quality of the chrome on these is poor enough that I doubt anyone would want to install an NOS pair on their car without having them rechromed first).

I had a few pairs many years ago that I bought new. I totally agree with this statement. Terrible original chrome. My NOS tips pitted up while sitting in storage!

They had a wrapped sticker part number on them.
© 2024 Moparts Forums