Moparts

Finish of Lower Control Arms

Posted By: dodgem_doug

Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/05/09 12:56 AM

Just finished bead blasting and installing new bushing on my lower control arms. I'd like to give these the factory look.

Weren't these covered with cosmolem for shipment from the factory? I'm not sure what color to paint but I'm thinking of clear coating when complete.

Any suggestions and pictures would be of great help.

Thanks, Doug
Posted By: BradD

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/05/09 01:33 AM

Heres one dipped in cosmoline! They were held at the ball joint end.

Attached picture 5070796-JReasoner71Cudab(16)resize.JPG
Posted By: moparmojo

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/05/09 01:36 AM

nice
Posted By: 420SIX

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/05/09 02:10 AM

Used Resto Ricks Quasimoline urethane. Nice dry finish, no sticky problems to deal with.

Attached picture 5070876-000_0032.jpg
Posted By: Neil

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/05/09 02:12 AM

Those look very nice.

Did you coat the bare metal on the ends with anything?
Posted By: 420SIX

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/05/09 03:19 AM

Quote:

Those look very nice.

Did you coat the bare metal on the ends with anything?

Everything was cleaned ,primered,and painted..
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/05/09 02:58 PM

I dip mine in real cosmoline just like the factory did. You end up with highlighted streaks that you can't get with spraying them. Besides, how are you going to get paint coverage way down in the middle of the arm? The bushings are installed AFTER dipping.

Attached picture 5071798-Picture366.jpg
Posted By: VA_Mopars

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/07/09 08:25 PM

To those guys that dipped their's, where did you find the cosmoline and what process did you use?

Thanks,
Joe
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/07/09 08:44 PM

Just did a web search...Here's one for instance

http://www.mil-specproducts.com/cosmo_l.aspx

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/07/09 10:28 PM

Thanks,

I had previously searched and am aware of this vendor as well as others online... I am more interested in finding out from those that have already done it, what source they used... As you can see from the two postings, the color/tone appears different and I was trying to find out what source each used...

Thanks again for the suggestion,
Joe

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/08/09 12:56 AM

It is a CRC product I bought through Fastenal Supply, I bought a 5 gal pail which works out perfectly to be deep enough for dipping.

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/08/09 02:15 AM

Thanks...

I appreciate the details,
Joe
Posted By: cdp

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/08/09 02:34 AM

I bought some spray cans from Schafco, who owns the Cosmoline trade mark. They explain their products on their website. I mixed and matched and bought a case.

Have yet to experiment.

http://www.schafco.com/cosmoline.asp
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/08/09 02:56 AM

what other parts are on a car that needs cosmoline?
Posted By: buzz440

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/08/09 03:28 PM

Hate to rain on your parade but...... Houghton owns the rights to the Cosmoline name they are the original makers of this product.... the real name of the product is; Cosmoline 1102.I have a 20 litre pail of the stuff, it's the real deal.

Later, BUZZ
Posted By: Purestocker

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/08/09 04:00 PM

I bought a block of the stuff from an army surplus outlet, you heat it up and it thins out nice and you can dip your arms in it, works well but it does stay a little tacky like the oe stuff,
Posted By: rrunner

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/10/09 12:27 AM

Here's the CRC in a spray can. It could be applied heavy to get the run affect. I cleaned my arms and washed off all the org while rebushing the ft end. My arms weren't blasted or painted as I am not doing a resto just trying to preserve it, so there was some surface rust I had left alone. Seems to work very well and only need to get 1 can insted of a bucket.

Attached picture 5082018-CRC001.JPG

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/10/09 12:28 AM

part #

Attached picture 5082023-CRC003.JPG

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/10/09 12:29 AM

And the arm. I did mine laying flat, should have hung then and let it run

Attached picture 5082028-CRC005.JPG
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/10/09 01:41 AM

The CRC spray on stuff looks pretty good to me.
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/10/09 02:47 AM

Quote:

The CRC spray on stuff looks pretty good to me.

I agree... If I was going to do it over again, it would be that...

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/11/09 03:19 AM

rrunner, The CRC cosmoline I used is really thick. You would never get it to spray out of any spray can tip. I can't even use it in the winter unless I warm it up to 120 degrees. I'll say that the spray can version looks pretty good, right color hue and all. Great for the do-it-your-selfer.

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/11/09 09:27 PM

Quote:

rrunner, The CRC cosmoline I used is really thick. You would never get it to spray out of any spray can tip. I can't even use it in the winter unless I warm it up to 120 degrees. I'll say that the spray can version looks pretty good, right color hue and all. Great for the do-it-your-selfer.

Yes, It is thiner, but with a few coats it's good to go and think I could get the hung/run look. It's just a thined out cosmoline, the smell tells it all . Don't know how this spray would work in the cold as we really don't see cold here.
Posted By: dodgem_doug

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/13/09 01:53 AM

I just want to thank everyone for their tips and suggestions. I finished restoring this Satellite last year and wanted to upgrade the lower control arms with factory sway bar mounts. This is not a judged show car but I wanted it to look original. Your information was very helpful.

Thanks, Doug

Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: Finish of Lower Control Arms - 03/13/09 05:09 AM

Get off the computer and get to work. Spring time driving is just around the corner. Burnouts are in front of your house again.
Lets beat the crap out of the cars soon.
Looks Nice Doug.
Whoever glass beaded those did a Nice job on them LC arms.
Later David
© 2024 Moparts Forums