Moparts

69 Charger rear suspension front pivot bolt

Posted By: Sixt8Chrgr

69 Charger rear suspension front pivot bolt - 03/11/18 06:10 PM

Prior to disassembly of my car the pivot bolt nut was outboard. I have good reason to believe that this was the way the car was originally assembled. (I have original springs etc on the car and I have known the car since I was 16.) When we put the rear suspension back in the car the pivot bolt nut is inboard. I can see the head of the bolt from the side of the front hanger. Which is correct? The CSM has the head outboard.
Posted By: fuelishnsilly

Re: 69 Charger rear suspension front pivot bolt - 03/12/18 04:56 AM

my originals on my car that my grand pop had since new was the nuts on the outboard side.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 69 Charger rear suspension front pivot bolt - 03/12/18 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By fuelishnsilly
my originals on my car that my grand pop had since new was the nuts on the outboard side.

Correct, that way if the nut falls off/rusts off the stud is trapped by the frame and cannot fall out of the front perch
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 69 Charger rear suspension front pivot bolt - 03/13/18 01:41 AM

Attached picture nut.JPG

Re: 69 Charger rear suspension front pivot bolt - 03/13/18 02:59 AM

Dayclona is that drawing for a B Body?

This is from my Service Manual. I still think the nut should be outboard but this drawing begs to differ?

Attached picture B81ED644-8DFB-40A7-8E84-043D599A15D9.jpeg

Re: 69 Charger rear suspension front pivot bolt - 03/13/18 03:05 AM

This is a little easier to see. This is from the 69 Service Manual. Seems like the bolt head is on the outboard side, but like I said before I restored my car I have pics of the nut being outboard. Any ideas what is correct?

Attached picture 8CFB07E5-E9AA-49D9-A60A-1F2A9C1802AB.jpeg
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: 69 Charger rear suspension front pivot bolt - 03/17/18 05:55 PM

On my 68 Charger, i know the bolts were installed from the inside because i can see the imprint of the bolt heads in the undercoating next to the bolt head on the adjacent rail. When they were putting the nuts on, the bolts must have pushed out and pressed into the inner frame rails making a perfect impression in the factory undercoating.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 69 Charger rear suspension front pivot bolt - 03/17/18 07:06 PM

The text in the FSM says to remove the front spring hanger in order to remove the pivot bolt, if the bolt head was toward the center of the car there would be no need to remove the hanger first.

Re: 69 Charger rear suspension front pivot bolt - 03/20/18 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

The text in the FSM says to remove the front spring hanger in order to remove the pivot bolt, if the bolt head was toward the center of the car there would be no need to remove the hanger first.

John, are you saying the nut for the bolt is outboard?

Thanks!
Posted By: charge70

Re: 69 Charger rear suspension front pivot bolt - 03/20/18 11:26 PM

No question about it,the nut goes out.

Re: 69 Charger rear suspension front pivot bolt - 03/21/18 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By charge70

I agree with you.
Posted By: moparx

Re: 69 Charger rear suspension front pivot bolt - 03/22/18 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By Sixt8Chrgr
Originally Posted By charge70

I agree with you.

x3 iagree my charger is that way from the factory, and i have owned it since 1970.
beer

Re: 69 Charger rear suspension front pivot bolt - 03/24/18 02:01 PM

I have pictures of my Charger prior to disassembly and the nut was outboard. I am the third owner of my car and have known the car since I was 16. So know the car well. The reason I raised this question is because how the CSM has the diagram I posted and also the photographs in David Wise's Restoration and Judging guidelines showing the nut head outboard.

Thanks
© 2024 Moparts Forums