Moparts

68 Road Runner rear cross member?

Posted By: Silverbullet2

68 Road Runner rear cross member? - 03/02/18 03:29 PM

Gathering parts for my Road Runner project and I was wondering if there were any opinions on the 5 piece pre welded rear cross member for 68-70 b-bodies. It's NOT made by AMD but it seems like a smart way to go to me. Anybody used one? Any fitment or quality issues?
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: 68 Road Runner rear cross member? - 03/02/18 04:13 PM

Who's are you looking at? Wilson Production makes a real nice one. US made but is the 69-70 style with the oval hole instead of the 68 round hole for the fuel tube.

Re: 68 Road Runner rear cross member? - 03/02/18 04:48 PM

Been seeing them on ebay. Rock Auto has them. I think it's by Sherman.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: 68 Road Runner rear cross member? - 03/05/18 08:26 PM

You want original thickness steel. Welding pieces together is a minor issue.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: 68 Road Runner rear cross member? - 03/05/18 08:32 PM

If you get one not prewelded, you can move stuff around to where it'd needed. I used an amd one before and it had to be rebent to fit up snug to the bottom of the rails. Another part amd makes I won't use. Goodmark/sherman for example, 1pc floor pan is half the price and it's the same thickness as oem. With that said, they also make a lot of good parts. Rockauto has good prices on their stuff.
Posted By: demon

Re: 68 Road Runner rear cross member? - 03/07/18 05:28 PM

I've installed many of the AMD rear crossmembers along with the bumper plates and end pieces. All fit very well. Only one little mod needed, and that is is to hammer a small recess in the top flange of the crossmember for the tabs on the end of the rails to recess into. AMD didn't put this little indent in, but it is no big deal to do in 5 minutes.

Re: 68 Road Runner rear cross member? - 03/20/18 01:18 AM

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. Looks good out of the box. Heavy gauge metal. Very nice.
© 2024 Moparts Forums