Moparts

Maroon paint for 68 Road Runner finish panel?

Posted By: Silverbullet2

Maroon paint for 68 Road Runner finish panel? - 02/25/18 11:10 PM

I scored a pretty nice satellite finish panel for $50. Has 1 crease about where the Road Runner decal needs to go. Otherwise it cleaned up nice. Anybody have a good match for the maroon stripes? Aerosol or otherwise. I was looking on TCP Global's site and they have some 1/4 and 1/2 pint maroon pinstriping paints. What would be close to the original?
Posted By: A12

Re: Maroon paint for 68 Road Runner finish panel? - 02/25/18 11:29 PM

Should read this thread to see that IMO it is a DARK maroon and not the reddish maroon some finish panel restorers use even when you give them a request to match the DARK maroon on FOUR ORIGINAL finish panels: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbt...tml#Post2418173

The tail finish panel maroon is supposed to mimic the DARK tail lights and make it appear to be part of them.

Mike
Posted By: A12

Re: Maroon paint for 68 Road Runner finish panel? - 02/25/18 11:41 PM

The person that restored my '68 RR's trunk finish panel painted it too RED and not DARK maroon like I asked him to do mad Waited way, way too long to finally get it back from him to not take it and have him correct the color. I know better now.

Posted By: topside

Re: Maroon paint for 68 Road Runner finish panel? - 02/25/18 11:56 PM

There was a thread about this a few months ago, as A12 says. He's right on the intended effect, and the unmolested '68 Decor Group RRs I owned years ago were as stated.
There's a Krylon Maroon that's actually a match for the factory color.
Posted By: Silverbullet2

Re: Maroon paint for 68 Road Runner finish panel? - 02/26/18 12:22 AM

I looked at some originals and repros at Carlisle last year so know it's supposed to be a deep wine color. The car is maroon too, so red won't do!
Posted By: Wagonman1967

Re: Maroon paint for 68 Road Runner finish panel? - 02/26/18 08:30 PM

Cant remember where I got it but I used a kit of 3M reflective vinyl. Just the right color and easy to apply. Got it from one of the vendors here.
© 2024 Moparts Forums