Moparts

70 Challenger 1/4 Glass removal

Posted By: Viperredcharger

70 Challenger 1/4 Glass removal - 02/07/18 04:53 AM

Hi All,

I am buying New 1/4 Glass for my Challenger and I am trying to remove the glass from the metal frame it sits in. I have the entire window mechanism out of the car and I have already pulled off the metal trim that runs vertical on the window. The window sits in a track full of butel tape or whatever it was called back in the 70's and its hard as a rock. I put some lacquer thinner around the base of the glass to hopefully soften it up but it didn't seem to do much. I also used a heat gun and it didn't seem to do much either. Any ideas is appreciated.
Posted By: Gavin

Re: 70 Challenger 1/4 Glass removal - 02/08/18 02:22 PM

It's called window setting tape and yup it's a pain to get out. AFAIK the originals were not bonded in any way, just the compression of the rubber held the glass in. Mine had also had some later 'help' by a previous owner with some urethane or silicone frown

My windows were out of the car, and I got them off by caution and running a thin blade down the sides and under the bottom of the tape. Easier said than done, you have to take it bit by bit, I used some thinners as well during the process, but I did it to both sides with no damage (I planned to reuse my windows. If you are not reusing yours I guess you don't need to be as cautious.

If they won't budge or are not accessible in the car, taking them out might be your best bet......
Posted By: 750-h2

Re: 70 Challenger 1/4 Glass removal - 02/08/18 03:57 PM

I would place the lower window frame in a vice, then heat up the metal channel with a heat gun. Then use a rubber mallet and hit the upper straight edge of the glass to pull it out of the channel.

Re: 70 Challenger 1/4 Glass removal - 02/09/18 04:43 AM

Thank you both for the tips.

Re: 70 Challenger 1/4 Glass removal - 02/12/18 03:16 AM

750-h2

I did exactly what you said and it worked. I also added a step by submerging them in Paint Thinner for 1/2 a day then I heated them up and they popped right out with out breaking.

Thanks!
Posted By: 750-h2

Re: 70 Challenger 1/4 Glass removal - 02/12/18 04:45 PM

Your welcome, I am glad it worked out for you!
© 2024 Moparts Forums