Moparts

Correct Cuda parts colors

Posted By: gregok

Correct Cuda parts colors - 01/06/18 06:48 PM

I have questions about what color the bumper brackets are on a 70 Cuda. Are they body color or black? If black, are they gloss, semi gloss or satin? Is there a difference between semi gloss and satin? What black is the color of the rear panel and taillight trim? What about the cover for the deck lid lock rod? Is it black or body color? Thanks for your input.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Correct Cuda parts colors - 01/06/18 07:11 PM

Rod cover black, bumper brackets black, the color is about 80% gloss not semi or gloss kinda in between. Rear panel is organosol black, do a google search on it plenty of info. The real original paint is $$$$.

Re: Correct Cuda parts colors - 01/06/18 07:25 PM

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.
Posted By: B5Cuda440-6

Re: Correct Cuda parts colors - 01/06/18 07:42 PM

I agree with 4406bbl. The bumper brackets are about 70-80% gloss. The trunk rod cover has a higher gloss than the bumper brackets, however. See the reference picture below. This is from a 3100 mi unrestored 70 Cuda. The covers were painted VERY poorly.

The tail panel was painted with Organosol, which is Lacquer and becoming difficult to find.

Attached picture Capture1.PNG

Re: Correct Cuda parts colors - 01/06/18 09:55 PM

Thanks for that info. You guys are always helpful.
Posted By: 70plymA34

Re: Correct Cuda parts colors - 01/07/18 02:22 AM

if you want to save on paint, fool around with the different gloss levels of krylon black, they will give you that poor oe quality look if thats what you desire.
Posted By: Midcoresro

Re: Correct Cuda parts colors - 01/07/18 05:27 PM

Chrysler NEVER used any black but gloss black.Most black parts were bare metal dipped in black acrylic enamel If you have ever blasted parts you can see that.Everybody thinks these parts are less than full gloss is because cheap paint that is 45 years old.And they NEVER used krylon
Posted By: Maxwellwedge

Re: Correct Cuda parts colors - 01/10/18 04:50 PM

A lot of those parts came from different vendors.....some parts had 2+ vendors they bought from.
I can't agree that every part that was black was always 100% gloss black.
Seen many well preserved low mile original cars, many take-off parts and gloss levels varied.

Re: Correct Cuda parts colors - 01/11/18 12:40 AM

Okay, thanks for the info guys but have another paint question. What rattle can paint is close to bare steel color?
© 2024 Moparts Forums