Moparts

What model year did they start stamping SO #s in the body?

Posted By: Alaskan_TA

What model year did they start stamping SO #s in the body? - 01/03/18 01:17 AM

I know a guy with a 1963 Dart, he has not found any body numbers on it.

I am storing a '63 Valiant wagon here for a pal, so I just checked it & I to not see anything on the core support, so I am curious.

If they were stamped for '63, where can they be found?

Thanks,
Barry
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: What model year did they start stamping SO #s in the body? - 01/03/18 05:27 AM

Not sure where the dart is - on the b body there is one stamped in the core support - far right above the rad opening ( when standing at the front of the car ) on the vertical face and there is one under the backlight under the package tray cardboard - passenger side parallel to the backlight.
Posted By: A12

Re: What model year did they start stamping SO #s in the body? - 01/03/18 09:26 AM

Originally Posted By Transman
Not sure where the dart is - on the b body there is one stamped in the core support - far right above the rad opening ( when standing at the front of the car ) on the vertical face and there is one under the backlight under the package tray cardboard - passenger side parallel to the backlight.

What year B-body are you referring to?

I was always under the impression it started with the '68 model year??????? If it started before that then it would have been for internal identification in the BIW and paint departments I would think?
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: What model year did they start stamping SO #s in the body? - 01/04/18 09:21 AM

A 63 Ply B-body has the numbers located like Transman said.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: What model year did they start stamping SO #s in the body? - 01/05/18 03:11 AM

I have never been given an explanation on why the SO was stamped in to the early cars instead of the vin - I know it dates way back in time - would have thought the VIN was assigned when the SO number was - but I do know the Feds had something to do with the mandate to stamp the VIN/partial VIN later - 68 or 69?

I'm guessing it was just the way someone set the process up back in the day and left it that way until Uncle Sam got involved in anti-theft regulations.

I know we have rigid process standards dealing with re-stamps of vins and such when a vehicle fails the rolls test and a trans or engine has to be replaced in the plant or before retail sale.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: What model year did they start stamping SO #s in the body? - 01/05/18 03:41 AM

The SO (sales order) number was on the paper order blanks for each car, so the SO came first, prior to any model type being specified or options checked off or noted.

When Chrysler received an order form with the SO, they assigned a VIN to that SO / car.

They tracked the order for the car via the SO number, so it was stamped in the body.

Starting with the 1969 model year, the VON (vehicle order number) replaced the SO & they also started stamping the partial VINs in the bodies for ID purposes.

The SO & later VON both share their origins to the original blank form pad pages to fill out to initiate the actual order for a car.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: What model year did they start stamping SO #s in the body? - 01/05/18 08:32 PM

1960 has SO numbers stamped. They are in different spots depending on the car and model year.
© 2024 Moparts Forums