Moparts

EBody woodgrain steering wheel sheen

Posted By: Aar1064

EBody woodgrain steering wheel sheen - 01/01/18 02:50 PM

I'm in the process of restoring my wheel which was in really great shape to begin with so it hasn't been that difficult but I have a question regarding the clear coat sheen.

Should it be gloss or satin? The reason I ask is because of all the wheels I've seen restored, they are satin but my wheel was clearly gloss. I understand that polishing can occur naturally by years of use but parts of the wheel that shouldn't have much contact like the bottom inside were gloss.

This is the last stage of the process and I want to make sure it's correct.

Thanks
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: EBody woodgrain steering wheel sheen - 01/01/18 05:47 PM

Satin for sure, my 3,700 mile survivor Cuda was satin as well as the NOS rim blow steering wheel I have. I've never seen any original wood grain steering wheel on any MOPAR from 67-71 that was shiny.
Posted By: JRepucci

Re: EBody woodgrain steering wheel sheen - 01/01/18 06:34 PM

NOS wheel

Attached picture hemicar 001a.jpg
Attached picture hemicar 002a.jpg

Re: EBody woodgrain steering wheel sheen - 01/01/18 06:36 PM

Thanks. I was hoping that was the case. Satin was my preferred finish but needed to be sure.

Now will a product like SEM Color Coat satin clear suffice or should I flatten some PPG 2002 urethane clear? I'll first need to see how they react to the minwax stain I used before committing. May not be an issue at all but I'd hate to mess up wheel at this point.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: EBody woodgrain steering wheel sheen - 01/01/18 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By Aar1064
Thanks. I was hoping that was the case. Satin was my preferred finish but needed to be sure.

Now will a product like SEM Color Coat satin clear suffice or should I flatten some PPG 2002 urethane clear? I'll first need to see how they react to the minwax stain I used before committing. May not be an issue at all but I'd hate to mess up wheel at this point.

I used SEM satin clear on my woodgrain wheel and pistol grips after refinishing it, 40K miles later still looks great

Attached picture chargerinterior3.jpg

Re: EBody woodgrain steering wheel sheen - 01/01/18 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

I used SEM satin clear on my woodgrain wheel and pistol grips after refinishing it, 40K miles later still looks great

That's good news because I already have a full can. I'm assuming you used minwax stain?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Re: EBody woodgrain steering wheel sheen - 01/02/18 11:12 AM

I'm assuming you used minwax stain?

Yes...

Re: EBody woodgrain steering wheel sheen - 01/03/18 02:16 AM

Awesome. Thanks again

Re: EBody woodgrain steering wheel sheen - 01/13/18 01:59 AM

Finished steering wheel and super happy with the results.

Thanks for the help everyone..

Attached picture IMG_0033.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0035.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0037.JPG

Re: EBody woodgrain steering wheel sheen - 01/13/18 04:12 AM

Nicely done!, seriously...
© 2024 Moparts Forums