Moparts

Barn Find Bird

Posted By: GRAYBO

Barn Find Bird - 01/01/18 01:29 AM

Just found and obtained this Bird. It has less than 1000 miles. And is solid except for the nose cone and trunk floor. Interior is really nice. 440 6bbl 4 speed lemon twist. Really excited to get it on the road!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached picture 20171228_070910.jpg
Attached picture 20171228_075750.jpg
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/01/18 01:31 AM

How does a car get into that shape with only 1000 miles?
Posted By: mopar4ya

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/01/18 01:35 AM

Was it a local car?. Fill us in on all the details , why only 1000 miles ?. Was that car originally from Eau Claire.

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/01/18 01:35 AM

long story...but those are the original f60 polyglas tires on it. 1 of them still holds air! Has the original exhaust, tires, brakes, and the vinyl roof is really nice. Hasn't been driven since 1977.

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/01/18 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By mopar4ya
Was it a local car?. Fill us in on all the details , why only 1000 miles ?. Was that car originally from Eau Claire.

Yeah it was from Eau Claire. I just brought it back from a barn in Florida. Car is very solid but as with most old cars someone started tried to save it by spraying primer all over it! LOL

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/01/18 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By GRAYBO

Yeah it was from Eau Claire. I just brought it back from a barn in Florida. Car is very solid but as with most old cars someone started tried to save it by spraying primer all over it! LOL

Give me a call mopar4ya I just sent you a PM.
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/01/18 02:20 AM

WOW ! That's exciting . Awesome score.

Greg
Posted By: 69_SIX_PACK

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/01/18 02:47 AM

Incredible. I cant wait to see more pics!

This is a great place to share your story and help with your resto:

Aero Cars

Dave
Posted By: 70Challengerse

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/01/18 02:49 AM

nice find,I agree with more pics up
Posted By: chargervert

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/01/18 02:54 AM

That sure proves that they are indeed still out there! Great score!
Posted By: flypaper

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/01/18 04:58 AM

nice score!
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/01/18 06:10 AM

Originally Posted By chargervert
That sure proves that they are indeed still out there! Great score!

Oh there are still plenty of cars out there. up
Posted By: blewbyu

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/01/18 07:01 AM

So your from Pa. and found a car in Florida. I live in Florida and found my bird earlier this year in Pa. Mine is also a 440-6 with 4 speed original limelite. Can i ask where in Florida?

Attached picture superbird lancaster 2.jpg
Attached picture superbird lancaster.jpg
Attached picture superbird lancaster 1.jpg
Attached picture superbird home.JPG
Posted By: Devil

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/01/18 09:36 AM

Awesome find and great save!
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/01/18 11:27 PM

WOW ! ! ! ............. Just WOW ! ! ! eek

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/02/18 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By blewbyu
So your from Pa. and found a car in Florida. I live in Florida and found my bird earlier this year in Pa. Mine is also a 440-6 with 4 speed original limelite. Can i ask where in Florida?

Fort Myers Florida is where the car has been since the 80s. Was purchased in Eau Claire PA at J.M. Beatty dodge/Plymouth dealership

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/02/18 02:45 AM

Fort Myers Florida is where the car has been since the 80s. Was purchased in Eau Claire PA at J.M. Beatty dodge/Plymouth dealership

My car been stored in this body in Lancaster for 43 years.

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/02/18 03:00 AM

your car is amazing. What a find. I'm very happy for you. The grey primer looks bad azz but cant wait to see it in the sublime again!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/02/18 03:01 AM

Did your Bird come from Franklin, PA by any chance?
Posted By: mopar4ya

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/02/18 03:23 AM

Didn't ever know of a Bird in Franklin. There is one in Titusville.

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/02/18 03:27 AM

Didn't ever know of a Bird in Franklin. There is one in Titusville.

You are spot on. I just used Franklin as a reference, but I was thinking of Titusville. Nice call

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/02/18 03:41 AM

Trunk pics. Kinda neat how crude mopar built things for function and not for looks.

Attached picture 20180101_203608.jpg
Attached picture 20180101_203614.jpg

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/02/18 03:45 AM

I'll get some more pics as I clean this car out a little...

Attached picture 20180101_203556.jpg
Attached picture 20180101_203358.jpg

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/02/18 06:12 AM

Did your Bird come from Franklin, PA by any chance?

came from Lancaster Pa.
Posted By: mickm

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/02/18 11:26 PM

I'll get some more pics as I clean this car out a little...

yes, would love to see more pictures.

What do you plan to do with it? i.e. full resto, etc...
Posted By: A12

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/03/18 09:35 AM

I was kind of skeptical at first on the mileage until I saw the new for '70 steering column lock instructions still on the sun visor shock shock

(but still, it's not really in what I would think a 1000 mile car should look like, especially the trunk and the entire exterior in primer :()

Posted By: dangina

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/03/18 09:55 AM

such a awesome find in a 4speed and great color!! would love to see more pics!!!!
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/03/18 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By A12
I was kind of skeptical at first on the mileage until I saw the new for '70 steering column lock instructions still on the sun visor shock shock

(but still, it's not really in what I would think a 1000 mile car should look like, especially the trunk and the entire exterior in primer :()

Dave,you know how far it is from PA to FL and back,also why is it in it's present condition ? confused
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/03/18 06:24 PM

It's present condition is not caused by putting miles on the car. it is caused by poor decisions and improper storage.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/03/18 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By NANKET
It's present condition is not caused by putting miles on the car. it is caused by poor decisions and improper storage.

Agreed, I bought a never registered, never titled 15,000 mile 1971 W200 Power Wagon, poor choices in it's storage left it nothing but a rusted parts truck, yet the 1971 Sweptline that came in the deal with it, having 70,000 miles on it was in real nice shape, so 2 trucks to make one
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/03/18 07:49 PM

on the trunk picture, why is the underside of the trunk lid brown? Both of my Roadrunners were body color

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/03/18 07:56 PM

Ask the guy the let loose with the rattle can of brown primer. He could tell us WHY?
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/03/18 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By NANKET

I agree. Great find would have been worth a lot more if better care had been in the thought process. Years back I bought a triple black 64 Polara 500 convertible 383 4speed car with only 53k on it and parked in 1976. lt served as a parts car to mine as it was left outside and once the top failed the rest filled with water and leaves and went quickly. Same time the guy put a 1962 Polara 6 cylinder 4dr inside and that car remained very nice. He said his intensions were to get the 64 on the road quick as the oil pump went out. It sat there for over 25 plus years....
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/04/18 01:35 AM

I live minutes from Ft Myers and never heard about this car.Where in Ft Myers and what's the story?

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/05/18 07:04 AM

Story is better than Fiction: Guy bought two cars from a dealership in Eau Claire, PA. 1 Hemi Bird, 1 440 6bbl Bird. Wrecked the Hemi in 1978ish. Sold the Car to the man I bought it from in 1978ish. Car has not been PA inspected since 1976. Guy I bought the car from drove it very little when a young man. Parked it in PA weather for 5 years then sent it to uncle in Fort Myers FLA. At this time nose cone is getting pretty bad. Trunk floor has some issues. Uncle was not a restoration expert and decided to spray bomb the car to "preserve" it. Whole car is brown rustolem primered. Found 4 rusted spray cans in trunk.

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/05/18 07:28 AM

Everyone wants to know my plans for this car. I am not a big dollar car collector or a Know it all MOPAR guru. But I've heard about this car since I was young and got a chance to buy it.

So.... I plan to clean the points, put the starter back in, get the motor running. Get the brakes working. Then drive the car this summer in present condition.. Next winter, start a full restoration, which, to my surprise will not need to be extensive. I will be able to keep all sheet metal except trunk floor. Cant wait to see how it drives on the old suspension.

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/05/18 08:30 PM

Can you remove the primer and save the original paint? I would look into that route. The original paint might be pretty good under that protective layer of primer.

The nose and wing were lacquer and went bad before rest of the enamel body paint.
Posted By: Tommy D

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/05/18 08:50 PM

Thank you for replacing the wheels on that primer Super Bird! I started to get ill, and luckily scrolled down just in time to save myself!

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/06/18 06:18 AM

Originally Posted By Tommy D
Thank you for replacing the wheels on that primer Super Bird! I started to get ill, and luckily scrolled down just in time to save myself!

I was sick hauling that Bird home with the Donk wheels on it. Had one kid ask me if it was a drifting car. confused

Attached picture superbird lancaster 3.jpg
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Barn Find Bird - 01/07/18 12:36 AM

Kids spank

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/06/18 02:34 AM

Story is better than Fiction: Guy bought two cars from a dealership in Eau Claire, PA. 1 Hemi Bird, 1 440 6bbl Bird. Wrecked the Hemi in 1978ish. Sold the Car to the man I bought it from in 1978ish. Car has not been PA inspected since 1976. Guy I bought the car from drove it very little when a young man. Parked it in PA weather for 5 years then sent it to uncle in Fort Myers FLA. At this time nose cone is getting pretty bad. Trunk floor has some issues. Uncle was not a restoration expert and decided to spray bomb the car to "preserve" it. Whole car is brown rustolem primered. Found 4 rusted spray cans in trunk.

Okay, I was wrong! Imagine that! I just spoke to the original owner of the car. His father bought the car from a Plymouth dealer in Etna, PA called Krebs and King. The license plate frame on my car still has the name on it. He sold it to the man I bought it from due to health issues. I'm gonna do some research on KREBS and KING.

Attached picture krebs and king.jpeg

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/06/18 02:41 AM

Here are some pics of the car after I removed the Primer. A lot of original paint left. Think I'll drive it like this till I save up some loot for the restoration.

Attached picture bird .jpeg
Attached picture bird 1.jpeg

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/06/18 02:43 AM

Solid car under all that Primer.

Attached picture bird 2.jpeg
Attached picture bird 3.jpeg

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/06/18 02:48 AM

Did you sand it off? You know that rattle can paint/primer will usually come off with lacquer thinner, little to no sanding required

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/06/18 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
Did you sand it off? You know that rattle can paint/primer will usually come off with lacquer thinner, little to no sanding required

I tried that,,,,However...The Primer KING sanded the car, then primered it. It would not come off without sanding. All the bare metal you see was done by his sanding. I wet sanded most of it but that rattle can rustoleum was tough stuff!!!

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/06/18 03:52 AM

more pics of when it came out of barn

Attached picture DSC_0117.JPG
Attached picture DSC_0162.JPG

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/06/18 03:54 AM

more of underside

Attached picture DSC_0183.JPG
Attached picture DSC_0258.JPG

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/06/18 04:03 AM

trunk

Attached picture DSC_0150.JPG

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/06/18 06:38 AM

Full blown resto candidate, no "survivor" quality hiding under the primer and dirt, but a nice candidate to start with!, you still have your clone bird?

Mike

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/06/18 06:44 AM

Its had more than primer over the original paint, at least in the door jambs, the door striker and latches were not painted yellow from the factory.
Posted By: big-block-dave

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/06/18 08:20 AM

VERY COOL CAR!!! I used to drive my friends 440-6 4spd white BIRD....always loved the looks from onlookers or the people we passed!!

Anyways, my 2cents....i would have someone spray the car with non gloss clear to preserve it until the resto.....

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/06/18 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Full blown resto candidate, no "survivor" quality hiding under the primer and dirt, but a nice candidate to start with!, you still have your clone bird?

Mike

Mike, I traded my clone for this car.

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/06/18 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
Its had more than primer over the original paint, at least in the door jambs, the door striker and latches were not painted yellow from the factory.

Yeah, the "restoration expert" found himself a can of yellow too. I do believe the extra primer and paint may have helped a little to prevent rust. Car needs a total reso anyhow so I might as well drive it a little rough and enjoy it.

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/06/18 07:23 PM

Mike

That's one for the Mopar enthusiast history books, trading a clone Superbird for the so called "real deal", good for you!

Mike

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/07/18 07:02 AM

Mike

That's one for the Mopar enthusiast history books, trading a clone Superbird for the so called "real deal", good for you!

Mike

Yeah it was a perfect storm. Gentleman had some $ and health issues and loved my car. He knew he would never have the time or cash to restore his sooo.... The trade happened. The clone was no slouch. Here are some pics someone posted on the web while I was parked at summit in Ohio.

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/10/14...il&msg=fail

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/07/18 07:06 AM

OUCH. anyone know where I can find a replacement nose or a bottom piece for this one??????

Attached picture DSC_0203.JPG

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/07/18 07:08 AM

Originally Posted By big-block-dave
VERY COOL CAR!!! I used to drive my friends 440-6 4spd white BIRD....always loved the looks from onlookers or the people we passed!!

Anyways, my 2cents....i would have someone spray the car with non gloss clear to preserve it until the resto.....

Thanks. Already cleared! Done!
Posted By: big-block-dave

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/07/18 09:52 AM

Originally Posted By big-block-dave

Thanks. Already cleared! Done!

Is it already cleared in the last 3 pics?

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/07/18 04:46 PM

Yes in those last few pics it is clear coated over top the yellow and bare metal.

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/07/18 07:28 PM

OUCH. anyone know where I can find a replacement nose or a bottom piece for this one??????

Your only choice is Gene Gregory for a steel SB nosecone or possibly individual panels

Mike
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/07/18 07:32 PM

Your only choice

TJ out of the equation???

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/08/18 05:47 AM

Originally Posted By RS23U1G
Your only choice

TJ, as in Tedrick Janek?, if so Ted's nose is fiberglass, not steel, I'll assume the OP wants a "factory" style steel replacement nose or panels to repair his existing nosecone...hence Gene Gregory

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/08/18 06:39 AM

Who has the pot metal vinyl top trim for rear of window in something other then fiberglass?

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/08/18 09:01 PM

Who has the pot metal vinyl top trim for rear of window in something other then fiberglass?

No potmetal repros, and originals are scarce, IIRC the current fiberglass ones on the market have no provision to bolt on, they are "bond-on", my repros are fiberglass, and have provisions to bolt them on as original with 2 studs and 2 screws per piece if your interested?

Mike

Attached picture mopartstri.JPG
Attached picture moopartrib.JPG

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/09/18 04:53 AM

Originally Posted By RS23U1G
Your only choice

I put a lot of Ted Janek parts on my clone. But this one I want to keep steel. If I could replace the bottom center it would be a nice nose. I think I got a hook on a bottom center section. Thanks folks....

TJ, as in Tedrick Janek?, if so Ted's nose is fiberglass, not steel, I'll assume the OP wants a "factory" style steel replacement nose or panels to repair his existing nosecone...hence Gene Gregory

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/09/18 05:00 AM

That Dirty interior cleanup up nice with soap, water and a ton of Armor All. Will be nice for driving this summer.

Attached picture 20180208_214613.jpg
Attached picture Resized_20180208_214628_6493.jpeg

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/09/18 05:02 AM

Seats are brittle but very nice. Shame, I don't think they will last long without ripping.

Attached picture Resized_20180208_214712_6844.jpeg
Attached picture 1.jpeg
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/09/18 05:29 AM

Okay, I was wrong! Imagine that! I just spoke to the original owner of the car. His father bought the car from a Plymouth dealer in Etna, PA called Krebs and King. The license plate frame on my car still has the name on it. He sold it to the man I bought it from due to health issues. I'm gonna do some research on KREBS and KING.

Krebs and King was right on Rt 8 in Etna for years, still exists in a new location as Krebs Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram, still on Rt 8, but farther north in Gibsonia PA. They used to have a swap meet every spring at the dealership

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/09/18 05:43 AM

Hey Bullit, You got it. I thought that the car came from Eau Claire PA. Till I talked to the original owner. He will be coming up this week to see the car with his 88 year old MOM. He was a young kid and saw the yellow bird in the showroom at Krebs and King and told his Dad about it. They bought it that day off of the owners son, Mark KING JR.
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/12/18 06:40 AM

That’s pretty cool, that they want to check it out! I’ve seen a lot of FY1 ‘birds in this area. Had a numbers FY1 4bbl 4spd car for 26 years.

Re: Barn Find Bird - 02/14/18 04:39 AM

Originally Posted By Bull1tt
That’s pretty cool, that they want to check it out! I’ve seen a lot of FY1 ‘birds in this area. Had a numbers FY1 4bbl 4spd car for 26 years.

Yeah, I guess yellow was the care for this area. Guess it didn't show dirt as much as the darker colors. LOL
© 2024 Moparts Forums