Moparts

1968 Road Runner Dash Bezel (Black or Chrome)???? Help

Posted By: 440PURSUIT

1968 Road Runner Dash Bezel (Black or Chrome)???? Help - 12/27/17 02:04 AM

Is the bezel around the Speedo and gauges Black or Chrome or a combo? Car was built 11-6-67 and is a Non Decor Sedan.

I had the cluster surround bezel re-chromed a while ago when I first put car together years ago.

I'm trying to improve some shortcomings and I want to have the correct Bezel treatment around the Speedo and gauge cluster.

Please advise and or post pics

Thanks in advance

Re: 1968 Road Runner Dash Bezel (Black or Chrome)???? Help - 12/27/17 02:10 AM

PS-Black Dash
Posted By: topside

Re: 1968 Road Runner Dash Bezel (Black or Chrome)???? Help - 12/27/17 03:48 AM

Regardless of Decor Group or base, the perimeter was chrome-plated with black detailing at the top horizontal edge and inner edges. I don't have pics, sorry, but I'm sure someone will post some.

Pic of mine - 12/27/17 06:09 AM

I had Mr G's do it when they were the only game. The very top is only black part.

Attached picture RR DASH Chrome.JPG

Advertising Brochure??? - 12/28/17 05:37 PM

Does anybody have old Road Test or Ad pics?
Posted By: A12

Re: Advertising Brochure??? - 12/28/17 07:00 PM

Non-décor, that would mean non-chrome inside door handle/armrest bases, no rear armrest ashtrays, etc., Also black outside door opening buttons. Are the armrest bases black or painted interior color?

Found this in my archives of a non-décor '68 B-body coupe with the original instrument bezel that is CHROME. Hope this helps.

Attached picture 68blvd12.jpg
Posted By: cbusters

Re: Advertising Brochure??? - 12/29/17 03:06 AM

Non Decor also has black door lock push buttons. My post car has black armrest bases and black upper trim above the door panels. Black interior.
Posted By: 68jim

Re: Advertising Brochure??? - 12/29/17 03:45 AM

I have plenty of reference pictures of a 68 RR post car with the standard interior (non décor car) let me know if you need anything else. Chrome around the bezel.

Attached picture DCP02579.JPG
Attached picture Dashassem4.JPG

is this appropriate detailing? - 12/30/17 04:48 PM

It seems the leading edge and inner "Shadow Box" is chrome.
The outer lip is black to compliment the dash.

Attached picture RR Dash Resto.jpg
Posted By: A12

Re: is this appropriate detailing? - 12/30/17 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By 440PURSUIT
It seems the leading edge and inner "Shadow Box" is chrome.
The outer lip is black to compliment the dash.

Hmmmmmmmm, BTW you have nice hands...

Don't think the black or non-reflective edge was really style. New FMVSS regulations that were phasing in since '66 were calling for less and less reflective (re; chrome) areas in front of the driver. The horn ring, column shifter, rear view inside mirror stalk, turn signal stalk and a few other items became a more brushed finish or low gloss silver to comply with the new ('66) regulation. Surprised the chrome rocker switches were still in place. Have to check if the '70 switches changed to a less or lower reflective finish? Oh and I thought the three or two point pivot was chrome in '68 but low reflective silver in '69-on??
© 2024 Moparts Forums