Moparts

Original dealer info

Posted By: FLPlum

Original dealer info - 12/20/17 06:36 PM

I have heard there is a way to determine the original dealer a particular car was shipped to.
Is that possible?
Is there a way to track down the history of a car other than state registrations.
Thanks
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: Original dealer info - 12/20/17 10:00 PM

One place to start is the original broadcast sheet.
If you still have it,the shipping order number can be a clue to which dealer ordered the car regardless if it was sales bank or special order.
A lot of dealer records are lost over time as dealerships some are now closed
Hope this helps
Posted By: ro23_j

Re: Original dealer info - 12/21/17 02:13 AM

If you can obtain the IBM punch card from Chrysler, the dealer code will be on the card.

Re: Original dealer info - 12/21/17 09:41 PM

I presume the punch card would have been in the car somewhere?

Unfortunately, There was nothing in the car when I purchased it.
All I have is the fender tags, That's it.

Thanks for the input, though.
Posted By: Savoy1964

Re: Original dealer info - 12/21/17 10:17 PM

http://www.fcanorthamerica.com/company/Heritage/Pages/Build-Records.aspx

Site can get information on your car you need title and some $$ i think.
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: Original dealer info - 12/21/17 10:37 PM

What is the year and make and model of the Vehicle. An Example is an 1971 E Body and if you have the fender tag then the number above the VIN number on the fender tag might shed some light of the location of the dealer and maybe the exact dealer. There are members on here that have amassed a lot of information and have put together what dealer belongs to what order numbers. An example again is the Mr. Norm Order Number for E Bodies and B Bodies. Most or the E Bodies were one after the other. Also If the vehicle happened to be a Mr. Norms sold vehicle if might of had a file made for it and one person has these files and with some prove of ownership would send them to you.

Past ownership history is were you will have to go if nothing else is known. Talk to the people you bought the car off of to find were they bought it from and who they bought it from.

Re: Original dealer info - 12/22/17 02:27 AM

70 E Body Challenger,
Thanks
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Original dealer info - 12/22/17 02:57 AM

There is no dealer information stamped in any portion of any vehicle Chrysler has ever made.
The punch card is the old IBM card and those were retained at Chrysler. It's my understanding that at the original Chrysler archives in Highland Park Michigan, there was a fire that took out a lot of records. I think anything newer than 67 was lost.
Posted By: srt

Re: Original dealer info - 12/24/17 08:01 AM

Try to chase it back from local history. If unknown it's likely lost to time.
© 2024 Moparts Forums