Moparts

Brake drum red paint

Posted By: Airgrabber

Brake drum red paint - 11/29/17 09:49 PM

Were the brake drums painted red with just road wheels or both road & ralleye wheels?
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Brake drum red paint - 11/29/17 09:51 PM

road & rallye wheel cars received red brake drum paint

Re: Brake drum red paint - 11/30/17 05:51 AM

Does anyone have any documentation to prove this?
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Brake drum red paint - 11/30/17 06:00 AM

Engineering print calls out for styled{rallye and road} wheels receiving the paint...

Attached picture 7112439-brakepaint.jpg

Re: Brake drum red paint - 11/30/17 02:11 PM

Cool old diagram! So they mention styled wheels only and this seems to be where the discrepancy lies. Road wheels or magnums as some people refer to them are styled but what about ralleye wheels?
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Brake drum red paint - 11/30/17 03:14 PM

Ralleye's got red also. Good way to remember, any wheel that you could see the drum through the wheel was painted.
Posted By: JMCFAN

Re: Brake drum red paint - 11/30/17 03:39 PM

Best "shade" of red??
Posted By: Centerline

Re: Brake drum red paint - 11/30/17 04:52 PM

I remember back in the day the first thing everyone did was paint them black. Most people thought the red brake drums looked pretty cheesy..... and I have to agree with them. However, a proper restoration would need the drums red, unfortunately.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Brake drum red paint - 11/30/17 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By Centerline
I remember back in the day the first thing everyone did was paint them black. Most people thought the red brake drums looked pretty cheesy..... and I have to agree with them. However, a proper restoration would need the drums red, unfortunately.

Maybe in your "neck of the woods", but back in the day on the East Coast, red brake drums were the norm whether the car was done at the factory that way or not, as were a set of Crager SS's, under carriages an/or rear axles were often painted white as well! smile

Attached picture backintheday.JPG
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Brake drum red paint - 11/30/17 06:11 PM

I really did not worry about the shade of red . . . . I just used rust o leum on my drums on the Sport Satellite . . . I shud have done a swipe of red on the calipers . . . guess that can be a project for this winter ! ha ha ha . . . . .

Attached picture Satellite2 Leth May 2013.jpg
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Brake drum red paint - 11/30/17 06:16 PM

The calipers didn't get painted, and really they shouldn't have any attention brought to them, cause they aren't very attractive. Like the new cars with small spoke wheels, all you notice are the brakes hardware, not very good looking.
Posted By: RealWing

Re: Brake drum red paint - 11/30/17 06:22 PM

Chrysler listed 3 "styled" wheels in the Parts Catalog. This included the rallye wheel.

Attached File
IMG_20171130_0001.pdf  (92 downloads)
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Brake drum red paint - 11/30/17 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By 71birdJ68
The calipers didn't get painted, and really they shouldn't have any attention brought to them, cause they aren't very attractive. Like the new cars with small spoke wheels, all you notice are the brakes hardware, not very good looking.

This subject always comes up, with no definitive answers one way or another...one would think there's factory docs that either broadcast painting calipers, or not painting rear drums on disc equipped cars?

Attached picture redcalipers.JPG
Attached picture redcalpier.JPG
Attached picture reddrummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.JPG
Attached picture calipersred.JPG
Posted By: 6pkaar

Re: Brake drum red paint - 11/30/17 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By [/quote
Maybe in your "neck of the woods", but back in the day on the East Coast, red brake drums were the norm whether the car was done at the factory that way or not, as were a set of Crager SS's, under carriages an/or rear axles were often painted white as well! smile

Yep, My '69 Roadrunner "back in the day".... red brake drums, Craiger SS with N50'S and white differential!

Re: Brake drum red paint - 11/30/17 09:17 PM

Hey realwing I cannot open the attachment regarding styled wheels.
Posted By: Tempest

Re: Brake drum red paint - 12/01/17 03:09 PM

Some similar but additional info on this thread:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1623467/re-red-painted-brake-drums.html
Posted By: A12

Re: Brake drum red paint - 12/02/17 06:54 AM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By Centerline

up Yep my '69 A12 6BBL Lift-Off-Hood RR even had the K-Frame painted RED. It was a well know street racer during that time and would have looked pretty cool. I removed the red paint to read the date stamping.

Attached picture DSC06781.JPG
Posted By: A12

Re: Brake drum red paint - 12/02/17 06:58 AM

And I think the "recall" wheels would have had the red brake drums and calipers too??
© 2024 Moparts Forums