Moparts

70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question.

Posted By: TimS

70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/11/17 03:00 PM

I'm looking at buying a Gran Coupe which has the XW call out on the fender tag for the interior. Original seat covers appear to be black with a cloth checked red/orange and black center. It has a white headliner with over head console. Original door panels are gone. Dash pad is the correct black. What would be correct for a black/white interior combo on this car? Haven't seen many Gran Coupes in my lifetime. Thanks.
Posted By: rarefish

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/11/17 06:05 PM

If the interior code is PRXW then you would have the standard leather faced bucket seats in white with white door panels. Carpets, dash, headliner, steering wheel would be black.
If you have the interior code P6XW then you would have the optional premium vinyl bucket seats in white with white door panels. As before, the other trim would be black.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/11/17 07:29 PM

As pointed out the headliner would be black in a Plymouth Gran Coupe

The standard interior code should be PRXW which is white leather. The door panels would be white with Gran Coupe emblems in them

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/12/17 02:41 AM

This car has a white headliner which appears to be original.

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/12/17 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By TimS
This car has a white headliner which appears to be original.

The seats appear to be like this but with burnt orange and black checked centers.

Attached picture 70 Gran Coupe..JPG

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/12/17 03:31 AM

Tim

You have to tell us the first two digits of the interior code.

M426

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/12/17 05:35 PM

The two "Houndstooth" interior codes for 1970 Gran Coupe were:
P5X9 which is the Black and White pattern, as shown above.
P5K4 which is the Burnt Orange and Black pattern.

I think the white headliner is correct with the white interior code: XW
Even though the the dealer "Color and Trim Selector" books of the day said the the headliner would be black.
Posted By: fk5hemi

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/12/17 08:03 PM

My 70 cuda has a white vinyl gran coupe headliner. Is yours vinyl also? I have not seen another like mine.

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/12/17 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By fk5hemi
My 70 cuda has a white vinyl gran coupe headliner. Is yours vinyl also? I have not seen another like mine.

Yes it is a white vinyl headliner and I'm pretty sure it is original to the car. It has never had a restoration done on the interior.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/13/17 01:23 AM

Does have the overhead console? I thought all Gran coupes had that with a felt covered hard board headliner.

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/13/17 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By fastmark
Does have the overhead console? I thought all Gran coupes had that with a felt covered hard board headliner.

Yes it has an overhead console as all the Gran Coupes.The few I have paid any attention to appear to have a vinyl headliner.

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/13/17 03:18 AM

I really thought my car was an odd one with the vinyl headliner, because all the cars I have seen were felt? covered.

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/13/17 04:17 AM

Yes it is a white vinyl headliner and I'm pretty sure it is original to the car. It has never had a restoration done on the interior.

Then why does it have orange seats?

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/13/17 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By Morty426

Seats aren't orange they are black with the cloth back/orange(faded red) checked inserts as some Gran Coupes came with. I need to run over to the other garage and get the rest of that interior code. When my friend purchased this car 25 years ago the car came with half done black covered seats that were out of the car.It looks like The previous owner was trying to convert to a Cuda. I'm trying to sort out what it should have.

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/13/17 03:57 PM

My gran coupe has gold interior and door panels. It has the wood grain inserts in the doors. I have some other door panels from a pile of parts that I have that are white. They still have the same wood grain insert.

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/13/17 06:11 PM

Seats aren't orange they are black with the cloth back/orange(faded red) checked inserts as some Gran Coupes came with. I need to run over to the other garage and get the rest of that interior code. When my friend purchased this car 25 years ago the car came with half done black covered seats that were out of the car.It looks like The previous owner was trying to convert to a Cuda. I'm trying to sort out what it should have.

Tim we are just trying to help you up

The orange inserts would have the code P5XV. Since you said it ended in XW we know that's not right.

These cardboard and felt headliners (which all Gran Coupes should gave) failed early. If it has white vinyl on it I would suspect replacement in the 80s or earlier.

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/13/17 07:50 PM

The back side of the vinyl has ink stamps. I will have to check for maybe a date stamp.

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/13/17 08:35 PM

Here are the "Houndstooth" patterns and codes for 1970.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1970/70_Barracuda0009.jpg

The link is from Barry Washington's Hamtramck web site..

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/14/17 12:20 AM

As pointed out the headliner would be black in a Plymouth Gran Coupe

The standard interior code should be PRXW which is white leather. The door panels would be white with Gran Coupe emblems in them

Just got to the fender tag again. The code is PRXW. So this car had white leather seats.

I've posted a shot of the headliner too. At a closer look, it sure does not appear original to me? It is vinyl.

Also a shot of the drivers seat in it. Not original either, obviously. So it appears this car on the inside has had work done down thru the years after all.

Attached picture 70 Gran Coupe 007.JPG
Attached picture 70 Gran Coupe 009.JPG

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/14/17 12:46 AM

Yeah that headliner should be black felt. The car should have white leather seats and door panels. Everything else would be black.

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/14/17 12:48 AM

Is the correct headliner available?

Those seats must be out of another Gran Coupe I would guess.

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/14/17 12:57 AM

That pattern is not Gran Coupe or Challenger. It might just be an aftermarket or newer car pattern.

Call Legendary or Dantes for the felt headliner. Otherwise there was a guy up in Canada that had it but I would have to dig up his name.

If the cardboard is bad get ahold of Dayclona - he makes a fiberglass replacement.

Also the leather seats I think have different foam

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/14/17 04:31 AM

Here is the correct look of the PRXW seats.

Attached picture 70_Barracuda0006.jpg

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/14/17 01:35 PM

Legendary covers are pretty salty at over $1000 for the fronts only. Since the car isn't original in many ways, I would plan to use the standard Cuda covers and put the money somewhere else in the car.

I see Legendary also sells the headliner material needed in a roll.

Thanks all for the help in clearing this up!!

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/14/17 05:58 PM

cuda leather is pricey but it looks better than cuda vinyl IMHO

Legendary emails out discounts all the time.

Or call Dante and ask for Legendary and see what they can do on pricing.

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/15/17 01:43 PM

cuda leather is pricey but it looks better than cuda vinyl IMHO

Legendary emails out discounts all the time.

Or call Dante and ask for Legendary and see what they can do on pricing.

I agree about the leather covers looking better. I'll do some more pricing and talk to Legendary. Those would also be a good difference maker between a standard Barracuda and a Cuda, which I already have.

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/15/17 02:44 PM

I put white leather in my AAR when I did the interior. It pops. It came with white vinyl from the factory and they are just not a comfortable at all. I had to change foam and and make my own stays to line up with the difference attachment points between the two styles of seats.
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/15/17 06:33 PM

Also a shot of the drivers seat in it. Not original either, obviously. So it appears this car on the inside has had work done down thru the years after all.

Looks like your console has been swapped out also. The correct 70 console should have the seat belt holders, not the ashtray.

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/15/17 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By 318 Stroker

Looks like your console has been swapped out also. The correct 70 console should have the seat belt holders, not the ashtray.

Yes I did notice that as well and mentioned it to the present owner. Car was presented to the present owner as being very original but that is obviously not the case as we dive into the numbers and take a closer look at what's there. Water under the bridge at this point. That was 25 years ago.

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/15/17 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By fastmark
I put white leather in my AAR when I did the interior. It pops. It came with white vinyl from the factory and they are just not a comfortable at all. I had to change foam and and make my own stays to line up with the difference attachment points between the two styles of seats.

Sounds like I need more than just the seat covers themselves to put the leather covers on these particular seats?
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/15/17 11:39 PM

are they even '70 style seat cores?

Re: 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe Interior Question. - 11/17/17 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By 6bblgt
are they even '70 style seat cores?

They appear to be 70 style cores.
© 2024 Moparts Forums