Moparts

Gator Grain V. Top Material:

Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Gator Grain V. Top Material: - 11/09/17 10:56 PM

Just found a roll of this in black. Is this the right stuff - the correct pattern?

Attached picture Gator Material 1.JPG
Attached picture Gator Material 2.JPG
Posted By: yorker

Re: Gator Grain V. Top Material: - 11/10/17 03:18 AM

I will let others decide. I have this piece from a 70 Challenger.
Last time I had seen the material from NOS it had a date of 1969 or so stamped on the back.

Attached picture SAM_1752.JPG
Attached picture SAM_1751.JPG
Posted By: EV2RTSE

Re: Gator Grain V. Top Material: - 11/10/17 04:41 PM

Man it looks like it could be, even looks to still have some of the brownish tint to it, but I'm thinking close but no cigar. If you look at 6bblgt's Sport Fury top it looks like in the closeup pic at least some of the scales seem to have little tick marks in the original material, where yours doesn't appear to?

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2327508/5.html

Also in addition to the 1969 date code the original stuff is stamped with 'Stauffer Chemical' on the back, might be the biggest giveaway.

Attached picture FF4_V1G_Sport_Fury_S23_gator548_(1).JPG
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Gator Grain V. Top Material: - 11/10/17 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By Sunroofcuda
Just found a roll of this in black. Is this the right stuff - the correct pattern?

Is that from SMS Fabrics?
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Gator Grain V. Top Material: - 11/10/17 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By Sunroofcuda

Is that from SMS Fabrics?

No. Do they offer a "close" substitute for this stuff? I don't believe what I found is actual OE stuff though. It IS black, not brown. My cell photo does look a little brownish, but it is black. I'm not even sure if it is exterior grade stuff, but it seems pretty heavy-duty. Not much different HD-wise than my roll of Boar Grain silver/black stuff. The roll is wide enough to do the Challenger wide seams.
Posted By: EV2RTSE

Re: Gator Grain V. Top Material: - 11/10/17 10:13 PM

Yeah up until Legendary started offering their reproduction gator grain the material from SMS was pretty much the only option unless you found NOS. I guess it was better than running a regular boar grain top if you had a gator grain car but wasn't really close to the original if you looked at the two side by side.
Posted By: kab69440

Re: Gator Grain V. Top Material: - 11/11/17 02:22 PM

It's close enough for my ride. Know anybody that can do the seams to custom fit my Charger's roof?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Gator Grain V. Top Material: - 11/11/17 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By kab69440
It's close enough for my ride. Know anybody that can do the seams to custom fit my Charger's roof?

SMS has the Gator mat'l in black, you can either have them do a top for you, or have Legendary make the top for you, with SMS's material, as Legendary sources a lot of their mat'l from SMS directly

Legendary also offers the Gator grain in it's brown/black dyed original configuration (I suspect the "New" Legendary "original" style Gator offering is SMS's mat'l with a dye job, I could be mistaken though?)SMS's last quote that I seen for a BLACK GATOR grain top using their mat'l was $500, Legendary BROWN/BLACK GATOR grains are $1200-$1500 last I recall
Posted By: kab69440

Re: Gator Grain V. Top Material: - 11/12/17 11:50 PM

Cool! Thanks!
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Gator Grain V. Top Material: - 11/17/17 02:56 AM

I'd love to own an original Gator Grain topped car. A loaded to the gills
Imperial or 300 would be nice.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Gator Grain V. Top Material: - 11/17/17 06:56 AM

Originally Posted By RoadRunnerLuva

V1G - "gator grain" vinyl top was not available on a Chrysler (& I bet that included Imperial)
Posted By: Baller

Re: Gator Grain V. Top Material: - 11/17/17 07:11 AM

I found this as part of the front seat when I was taking the seat apart (factory Chrysler cover). Is this Gator Grain?

Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Gator Grain V. Top Material: - 11/17/17 07:21 AM

that appears to be '70s V1Y - "tortoise grain" it was available on Fury hardtops & 2DR coupe (& maybe some others?)
Posted By: Baller

Re: Gator Grain V. Top Material: - 11/17/17 07:28 AM

Cool. I didn't know that there was such an option.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Gator Grain V. Top Material: - 11/22/17 03:01 AM

Original weathered sample at left & an SMS sample at right.

Attached picture GatorVSGator copy.jpg
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Gator Grain V. Top Material: - 11/22/17 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By 6bblgt
Originally Posted By RoadRunnerLuva

V1G - "gator grain" vinyl top was not available on a Chrysler (& I bet that included Imperial)

Dan,there was a 70 Imp coupe local to me 30 yrs ago with a gator grain top.
© 2024 Moparts Forums