Moparts

PREPPING NEW PANELS

Posted By: A/MP

PREPPING NEW PANELS - 10/19/17 07:09 PM

I have some new body panels that are e-coated by the manufacturer. Scuffed all the places I get get to w/maroon scotch brite. What about all those other places. Using a 2 part urathane.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: PREPPING NEW PANELS - 10/20/17 03:26 AM

I would put an etching primer on it, then over coat that with a urethane primer / sealer
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: PREPPING NEW PANELS - 10/20/17 07:06 PM

sand with 220 or 320 then apply a good 2K surfacer and ONLY etch primer on ONLY the bare metal. The small areas if using a direct to E coat product you can get away with out sanding. Products like PPG DP epoxy primers are direct to E coat. They do not suggest on outer sides of the panels but the jam areas say like underside of a hood is where that comes into play
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: PREPPING NEW PANELS - 10/20/17 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By A/MP
I have some new body panels that are e-coated by the manufacturer. Scuffed all the places I get get to w/maroon scotch brite. What about all those other places. Using a 2 part urathane.
You have the surface prepped.I use PPG products,so next step would be wash with wax and grease remover(SX 330) and spray on DP 50 epoxy primer.DP 50 is medium gray in color.There are several colors available.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: PREPPING NEW PANELS - 10/20/17 11:44 PM

PPG certified painter here.
if you want to use epoxy over non sanded ecoat you should use the slower dry 401 catalyst NOT the faster dry 402.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: PREPPING NEW PANELS - 10/22/17 04:58 AM

I would first wipe it with some laquer thinner and make sure it doesn't come off on the rag. Most the bigger name stuff has good coating, but better safe than sorry.

I like to hit it with a da and 180ish paper to get off the shine then epoxy. Then do any mud work over the epoxy.
© 2024 Moparts Forums