Moparts

I need a fender tag for a 1968 Roadrunner Help

Posted By: mad car disease

I need a fender tag for a 1968 Roadrunner Help - 02/27/09 03:31 AM

I am missing the fender tag on a 68 roadrunner. isn't there some kinda punch card data for 68 and back or is that 67 and back?

thanks
Posted By: flypaper

Re: I need a fender tag for a 1968 Roadrunner Help - 02/27/09 03:49 AM

with out an original to copy
the best you can do is a guess
good luck
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: I need a fender tag for a 1968 Roadrunner Help - 02/27/09 04:04 PM

Apparently Chryler Historical Society has the IBM punch cards for some '67 and prior vehicles. I believe the story is that the '68 and up stuff was lost in a fire.

Unless you can dig out a broadcast sheet, you're SOL as far as getting an accurate repop tag made.

Cheers,
Dave
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: I need a fender tag for a 1968 Roadrunner Help - 02/27/09 04:18 PM

Quote:

Apparently Chryler Historical Society has the IBM punch cards for some '67 and prior vehicles. I believe the story is that the '68 and up stuff was lost in a fire.

Unless you can dig out a broadcast sheet, you're SOL as far as getting an accurate repop tag made.

Cheers,
Dave

Posted By: mad car disease

Re: I need a fender tag for a 1968 Roadrunner Help - 02/28/09 02:07 AM

Thanks guys. I was afraid it was 67 and back. Too bad that they didn't have those cards 68 and up any more. It sure would have made things allot easier.
Posted By: Furyman

Re: I need a fender tag for a 1968 Roadrunner Help - 02/28/09 04:44 AM

I think if the car is fairly original -ie unrestored a Fairly accurate repop could be made.
There is basically no guesswork except for order #.
A good eye will be able to spot a repop fender tag pretty easily....there are always one or two cars every given week on e-gag with repop tags.
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: I need a fender tag for a 1968 Roadrunner Help - 02/28/09 04:54 AM

Quote:

I am missing the fender tag on a 68 roadrunner. isn't there some kinda punch card data for 68 and back or is that 67 and back?

thanks

Where else EBAY HAS EM......LOL guy out of Canada is selling tags there... go figure....

Re: I need a fender tag for a 1968 Roadrunner Help - 02/28/09 06:02 AM

sylvain is selling original tags not repops.
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: I need a fender tag for a 1968 Roadrunner Help - 02/28/09 06:11 AM

Quote:

sylvain is selling original tags not repops.

Who said he was?
Posted By: Prodart440

Re: I need a fender tag for a 1968 Roadrunner Help - 02/28/09 11:36 PM

Quote:

I think if the car is fairly original -ie unrestored a Fairly accurate repop could be made.
A good eye will be able to spot a repop fender tag pretty easily....there are always one or two cars every given week on e-gag with repop tags.

The order number is on the radiator support. You could get it easily.
Posted By: Butterscotch71

Re: I need a fender tag for a 1968 Roadrunner Help - 03/01/09 02:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The order number is on the radiator support. You could get it easily.

68s had the VON (vehicle order number) stamped on the rad support???? I though only partial VINs were stamped on the body.
Posted By: 68CoronetRT

Re: I need a fender tag for a 1968 Roadrunner Help - 03/01/09 03:03 AM

Yes, 68s have the sales order number on the radiator support and the driver's side trunk lip under the weatherstipping.
Posted By: Prodart440

Re: I need a fender tag for a 1968 Roadrunner Help - 03/01/09 03:11 AM

Yep. The only place the vin is on the car is the tag on the dash.
Posted By: 440fied

Re: I need a fender tag for a 1968 Roadrunner Help - 03/01/09 04:22 AM

Quote:

Yep. The only place the vin is on the car is the tag on the dash.

and on the block and transmission for some cars built after Jan. 1, 1968
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: I need a fender tag for a 1968 Roadrunner Help - 03/02/09 03:37 AM

Quote:

Two of the harder things to figure out on the 68 tag without the build sheet are the order date, tires and wheel combo (unless the originals are still on the car, which isn't likely after 40 years, well, maybe the wheels). The SO number is the number stamped on the radiator support and trunk lid. The VIN does not show up.
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: I need a fender tag for a 1968 Roadrunner Help - 03/02/09 03:50 AM

You would also have to know what codes were used at what plants during what time of year to make an accurate tag.

Not all codes were used at all plants all model year. Codes came and went.

Re: I need a fender tag for a 1968 Roadrunner Help - 03/03/09 01:18 AM

All you need is a big enough database....couple thousand tags per year will cover it pretty much.I had a major brain fart on the so # .Build dates are pretty straight forward although every once in a while a real wild card will get thrown in.I see nothing wrong with a repop tag especially if there is other documentation....IBM card,broadcast..rotted original tag etc etc.Problem comes in with misrepresentation...colour change.....trans change options added etc.Like I said before the one good thing is repop tags can be spotted.
Order #'s for post 68 cars can be a problem but again with a big enough database I think that could be figured out.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: I need a fender tag for a 1968 Roadrunner Help - 03/03/09 05:39 PM

Quote:

I see nothing wrong with a repop tag ONLY if there is other documentation....IBM card,broadcast..rotted original tag etc etc.Problem comes in with misrepresentation...colour change.....trans change options added etc.

....fixed it for you!

Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums