Moparts

pics of convertible top header panel

Posted By: fuelishnsilly

pics of convertible top header panel - 09/18/17 12:37 PM

Does anyone have a good pic of a convertible top front header frame panel? A friend of mine is having his top replaced and found that the header frame panel is rotted badly. It looks like the top material gets attached to it but someone had it bondo'd up but looks like there was a recessed area on the corners of the header panel. If I can get a good pic for him, I'm sure he can fabricate something as he does an amazing job with custom metal work.

Thanks.
Posted By: 71vert340

Re: pics of convertible top header panel - 09/18/17 02:08 PM

A-body, B-body, E-body, or C-body, and what year? It may make a difference.
Posted By: floridian

Re: pics of convertible top header panel - 09/18/17 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By fuelishnsilly
Does anyone have a good pic of a convertible top front header frame panel? A friend of mine is having his top replaced and found that the header frame panel is rotted badly. It looks like the top material gets attached to it but someone had it bondo'd up but looks like there was a recessed area on the corners of the header panel. If I can get a good pic for him, I'm sure he can fabricate something as he does an amazing job with custom metal work.

Thanks.

Really common area/part to rust out... Had a body man cut out most the bad and weld in new metal on mine..

Re: pics of convertible top header panel - 09/18/17 08:16 PM

Sorry, he has a 70 roadrunner vert. (b body)

Re: pics of convertible top header panel - 09/18/17 08:18 PM

Floridian,

Thanks for the info. Thats what he assumed also but it seemed like there was a recessed area on each end. He can fabricate something but needs a pic of what it supposed to look like. Shame no one makes repros of these since they are such a common area to rust out.
Posted By: 70runner

Re: pics of convertible top header panel - 09/18/17 10:16 PM

Here's some from my 70RR, hope they help...

Attached picture header_lt_orig.jpg
Attached picture header_rt_orig.jpg
Attached picture header_old_lt.jpg
Attached picture header_old_rt.jpg

Re: pics of convertible top header panel - 09/20/17 08:19 PM

awesome. can you take just a picture of that flat recessed area on the top where those holes are? The underside of his is good. Its just the top area where those holes were that is one giant hole now. Also, what were those hose there for? Did it hold the top material down to the header? If so, were they screwed or pop riveted? his had pop rivets holding it down but his also had a ton of plastic filler in there too so I doubt that was correct.

Re: pics of convertible top header panel - 09/25/17 09:02 AM

I only found this one other picture after the weatherstrip was removed. Everything on mine was glued to the header, weatherstrip, pad, top, etc. The header openings are for the top latches/sunvisor. If you have these you can reverse engineer the openings/bolt holes to match up with the latches.

Attached picture header_old_rt_weatherstripremoved.jpg

Re: pics of convertible top header panel - 09/25/17 07:09 PM

Here's another pic

Attached picture padattach_front.jpg

Re: pics of convertible top header panel - 09/30/17 06:00 AM

Perfect. That bottom pic with the screw holes is what he needed. Where the top padding goes and screws into the header panel, thats right where his is completely rotted out. I did see some screw holes which now I know why they were there for the top padding.

Thank you so much for the pics ! He is extremely appreciative !
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: pics of convertible top header panel - 10/08/17 02:13 AM

thanks for those pictures 70runner
© 2024 Moparts Forums