Moparts

Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's?

Posted By: Morty426

Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/06/17 05:41 PM

What is the difference between a headliner from Dante's and one from Legendary?

Other than $100.

Application is 71 Challenger, black, 5 bow

Thanks
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/06/17 07:44 PM

You'll have to call Dante. He supplies a lot of stuff from Legendary but with better service.

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/06/17 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By RUNCHARGER
You'll have to call Dante. He supplies a lot of stuff from Legendary but with better service.

Understand that but that's quite a larger price difference
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/07/17 03:12 AM

I'm about to call him up and ask him the same question I bought a headliner for my 70 RR project. It was an R.E.M. And on sale for about $100 or maybe less. It did not fit the bow locations well and I ripped it trying to install it. It would not stretch well. The other two headliners I installed were both legendary. I did not rip them. They fit well. Idk.
Posted By: Siba

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/07/17 04:33 AM

I had the same problem with the R.E.M. headliner, the front bow locations were not correct. They were working to resolve it, not sure if they did or not. The Legendary headliner fit perfect. Car was a 1968 Sport Satellite.

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/07/17 05:26 AM

I do not want an REM anything
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/07/17 05:54 AM

I agree: I've probably thrown $1000 of REM stuff in the garbage. It sort of goes like this: Pull out of package, place in position, change positions several times to try to get object to fit, trim with knife, throw in garbage.

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/07/17 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By RUNCHARGER
I agree: I've probably thrown $1000 of REM stuff in the garbage. It sort of goes like this: Pull out of package, place in position, change positions several times to try to get object to fit, trim with knife, throw in garbage.

LOL

Been there done that, Sheldon up

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/07/17 07:51 PM

Well how bout that. I guess you get what you pay for. I never even ask what brand it was just bought it because it was on sale for a customer. It fit fine until the front bow. I'll call Dante.
Posted By: Little Detroit

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/08/17 01:05 AM

why would you compare a retailer to a manfacture?? im just ask'n?

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/08/17 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By Little Detroit

Lots of reasons.

Some manufacturers do not discount their products the same way some retailers do.

I was curious as I had heard that Dante's dealt in Legendary.

Want to know experiences others had had.

I placed my order with Legendary today.

BTW - their website is not Legendary, lots of glitches
Posted By: Little Detroit

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/08/17 04:41 PM

price should be the secondary question , the way I understood the post was a comparison to the Quality? that's why I asked why would you compare a retailer to a manufacture

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/08/17 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By Little Detroit

Simple. I bought it from Dante and he has great customer service. He likes happy customers because they come back. He has more influence with a manufacturer than a one time customer. If there is a problem that needs solving at the manufacturing level in order to to please lots of his customers, his voice will carry more weight. He sells both brands and has more knowledge than I on the subject. I've already called him and we are on the way to resolving the problem through some measurements i'm sending him. He gave me some info about headliners I did not know. He has experience. Good guy.

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/08/17 04:48 PM

Price is secondary to me as well. I'm working on an hourly scale so a correct product installs faster. My mistake is I assumed is was a legendary item in the first place. They are both made of the same material just sewn up by two different companies. From my measurements on the headliner that came out of this car, the seams are ALL about a 1/2" short. That makes for a big stretch on the last bow. Magillia here thought that it just needed some tugging! My mistake😜

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/08/17 04:50 PM

Legendary does have two different materials I am told. One is cheaper and more stretchy and the other is close to correct OEM material and not stretchy.
Posted By: RJS

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/08/17 06:47 PM

A few times Legendary didn't have the correct pattern for me, just that generic GM looking stuff. I used SMS which had the near correct material but are slow as s%^t.
Ron

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/08/17 07:32 PM

Well. Just measured my R.E.M. headliner and it is 1/2" shorter on the back three bows and 7/8" on the front two. That makes the front bow way off. No wonder it would not stretch. I'm waiting on replies from Dante and legendary now. We will see.
Posted By: CDN72SE

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/08/17 07:35 PM

Hmm I just bought my headliner from Dante which is by REM, now I'm wondering about it.
Posted By: RJS

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/08/17 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By CDN72SE
Hmm I just bought my headliner from Dante which is by REM, now I'm wondering about it.

Send it back, we have to boycott bad products until they are corrected.
Ron

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/08/17 09:51 PM

Measure your old headliner vs the new.. You'll know real quick.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/09/17 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By fastmark
My mistake is I assumed is was a legendary item in the first place.

That's often the problem when the customer doesn't verify exactly what they want, sometimes a vendor might be out of stock, rather than lose a sale, they substitute another mfg's line, or advertise a certain line early in business, then switch mfg's down the road and catalogs/websites don't get updated, or a myriad of reasons why you got grape juice instead of champagne, often the reason I go directly to the mfg, I don't need service with a smile or coddled conversation, just the parts that I paid for....

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/09/17 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By RJS

Send it back, we have to boycott bad products until they are corrected.
Ron

Hopefully it's not something he bought "years" ago, most vendors have a time line on returns, defective or not...

FYI...REM headliners have sucked for the last 2 decades, little chance they're going to correct them any time soon

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/09/17 04:10 PM

Well after lots of phone calls from Dante, it seams like three different manufactures all have the same demensions as the R.E.M. One I received. The one that came out of the customers car is just stretched out I guess. I've got to go back to the drawing board and do some measuring on my cars here at the shop before I will figure this one out. The bottom line is that bothe the R.E.M. One and the cheaper Legendary one are made the same deminsions and the same material. Dante says that the oem material is more pricy and harder to stretch.

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/09/17 06:17 PM

Well after lots of phone calls from Dante, it seams like three different manufactures all have the same demensions as the R.E.M. One I received. The one that came out of the customers car is just stretched out I guess. I've got to go back to the drawing board and do some measuring on my cars here at the shop before I will figure this one out. The bottom line is that bothe the R.E.M. One and the cheaper Legendary one are made the same deminsions and the same material. Dante says that the oem material is more pricy and harder to stretch.

I've installed the higher quality headliners from Legendary, never had an issue with stretching the mat'l, nor fit of the headliners in the following cars...

69-70 B body....actually was the easiest headliner I've ever fitted
68-70 Charger
70-74 E body 4 and 5 bow headliners
70 Superbird

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/09/17 08:33 PM

All I've done are 70 e bodies. They were easy. Of coarse this 70 RR has the glass still in so it's harder. I'll figure it out.
Posted By: Siba

Re: Headliner - Difference Between Legendary and Dante's? - 08/14/17 03:31 AM

I went through the same thing. Lots of pictures, phone calls, and e-mails with Dante. I sent my old headliner, the 1st R.E.M. headliner, and the second R.E.M. headliner directly to R.E.M. to help solve their issue. Sounds like it might still be an issue or you have old stock.

The headliner I purchased from Legendary matched my old headliner bow locations and fit like a glove. Dante sells Legendary but Legendary had it in stock so I just bought from them.

THey also told me I had to stretch the R.E.M. headliner, there was no way it was happening. It had the wrong dimensions. Purchase the better Legendary and you should be fine.

Top is the old, then Legendary, bottom two are R.E.M. Front bows match on the top two.

Attached picture IMG_20150503_211212_422.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums