Moparts

who rebuilds / restores fuel tank sending units?

Posted By: fuelishnsilly

who rebuilds / restores fuel tank sending units? - 06/21/17 04:04 AM

Looking to get the original fuel tank sending unit for my 69 RR restored. The sending unit thin wrapped wire in the tank broke and the repro's don't read correct at all. Is there any place that rebuilds these?

Thanks for any leads.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: who rebuilds / restores fuel tank sending units? - 06/21/17 04:11 AM

Dixie restorations had some sending units that work, call to see if they have any left.
Posted By: flypaper

Re: who rebuilds / restores fuel tank sending units? - 06/21/17 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By 71birdJ68
Dixie restorations had some sending units that work, call to see if they have any left.

long gone
the best one available today is from Bill Rolik..

Re: who rebuilds / restores fuel tank sending units? - 06/21/17 04:32 AM

Id like to try and have this one rebuilt as its the original one to the car and the date matches too. Id really like to try and keep it with the car if its possible.
Posted By: David_in_St_Croi

Re: who rebuilds / restores fuel tank sending units? - 06/21/17 04:57 AM

Do a search for Nisonger. They rebuild Smith and Jaeger instruments for British stuff but they might do other brands. After all, they all work on the same principle.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: who rebuilds / restores fuel tank sending units? - 06/21/17 05:09 AM

Every monthly issue of Hemmings Motor News lists several restorers of sending units in the giant classifieds.
Posted By: 44D6PAKCUDA

Re: who rebuilds / restores fuel tank sending units? - 06/21/17 01:11 PM

Correct,I found a place in Hemmings that restored mine for the Cuda.Re-tin plated it as original.Worked and looks great.
Posted By: Dixie

Re: who rebuilds / restores fuel tank sending units? - 06/21/17 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By flypaper

long gone

Depends on the application. We have 71-74B 3/8", 63-5B in 5/16" and 3/8", 66-7B in 3/8" and 67-76A 3/8".

For other applications, the ones AMD sells from Spectra have gotten good reviews. This is not an endorsement as I have not used any, just passing along what I've heard.

Randy
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: who rebuilds / restores fuel tank sending units? - 06/21/17 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By 44D6PAKCUDA
Correct,I found a place in Hemmings that restored mine for the Cuda.Re-tin plated it as original.Worked and looks great.

Would you post the name of the restorer you used,please.
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: who rebuilds / restores fuel tank sending units? - 06/21/17 10:27 PM

I wish I would have known how poorly the repro sending units were before I wasted good money on one. I managed to find a NOS unit at Carlisle last year. It reguired only minimal adjustment and read perfectly on my gauge.

I would have had my original rebuilt if I couldn't find a NOS. Here are 2 places on the web that I found. I have no information regarding their quality of service.

http://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/services.asp

http://tristarrradiator.com/Classic%20%20Vintage%20Page/Classic%20%20Vintage%20Page.html
Posted By: 44D6PAKCUDA

Re: who rebuilds / restores fuel tank sending units? - 06/22/17 01:36 AM

Bob's is the place I had mine done.Excellent
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: who rebuilds / restores fuel tank sending units? - 06/22/17 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By 44D6PAKCUDA
Bob's is the place I had mine done.Excellent

Thanks. PB
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: who rebuilds / restores fuel tank sending units? - 06/22/17 08:14 AM

Originally Posted By Dixie
Originally Posted By flypaper

long gone

Depends on the application. We have 71-74B 3/8", 63-5B in 5/16" and 3/8", 66-7B in 3/8" and 67-76A 3/8".

For other applications, the ones AMD sells from Spectra have gotten good reviews. This is not an endorsement as I have not used any, just passing along what I've heard.

Randy

Got mine from Randy for my '71. Haven't fired it up yet but it's getting closer to up
Posted By: 70plymA34

Re: who rebuilds / restores fuel tank sending units? - 06/23/17 03:57 PM

mike mancini did mine a few years back. it functions as it should now. however it was a mechanical restoration not a cosmetic one. it looks like he spray painted the outside of it. i seem to remember him saying they can't be replated because they have the same galvanized plating as the gas tanks. its been a few years since our last conversation and don't quote me on this. if anyone has better info please inform me. thanks.

Re: who rebuilds / restores fuel tank sending units? - 06/26/17 08:56 AM

Interesting that he said that it can not be replated as ours has a surface rust on it with some very, very minor pitting. I would imagine that the galvanized plating would or could be removed and have the thing replated in clear zinc like how the after market parts are now. Again, I could be wrong as I know nothing about how plating process' work.
Posted By: scf100

Re: who rebuilds / restores fuel tank sending units? - 06/28/17 04:12 AM

What was the cost of having one restored?

Re: who rebuilds / restores fuel tank sending units? - 06/29/17 04:40 AM

It varied between the two places mentioned above. They all said it depends on what needs to be done but one was about $150 and the other was $300 min. Tristar was the cheaper of the two and is also relatively close to me.
© 2024 Moparts Forums