Moparts

Refinishing gas filler and ECS tubes

Posted By: Neil

Refinishing gas filler and ECS tubes - 06/14/17 08:49 PM

What are the options for refinishing the gas tank fill tube and 1970 ecs vent tube in the trunk? Looks like they have some sort of lead coating on them? Mine are still somewhat shiny, but full of scratches.

Once upon a time a swear I saw repos on Ebay, but I can't find any for an A-Body.
Posted By: steve70

Re: Refinishing gas filler and ECS tubes - 06/14/17 09:56 PM

The only repros I've seen were from Megaparts but they looks like new stainless steel. I ended up using scotch brite on the scratches and then put them in a vibratory tumbler to give them a finish that looked original. I sprayed them with a satin clear before installation.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Refinishing gas filler and ECS tubes - 06/14/17 11:16 PM

If you want restoration, contact Allen Wilson:

http://www.n96airgrabber.com/fillertube.htm

He did an excellent job for me on my filler tube that had lots of internal rust and some external.

Photo is Before. Sorry, don't have an After, but it looks nearly new now.

Attached picture 14-74 Filler Tube3.jpg
Posted By: floyd

Re: Refinishing gas filler and ECS tubes - 06/15/17 12:02 AM

Wilson does a great job!
Posted By: Neil

Re: Refinishing gas filler and ECS tubes - 06/15/17 05:21 AM

Thanks for the advice.

The fill tube has a couple pretty deep scratches that would be pretty hard to eliminate 100%. The ECS tube, which is behind the gas fill tube and better protected, is in nicer shape.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Refinishing gas filler and ECS tubes - 06/15/17 07:44 AM

This is good to know.
Posted By: blewbyu

Re: Refinishing gas filler and ECS tubes - 06/15/17 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By floyd
Wilson does a great job!

So he has a process to put lead over it and make it look original? I know some polish it which is not correct.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Refinishing gas filler and ECS tubes - 06/15/17 04:48 PM

A couple years ago when we wanted to get the filler tube restored for my restoration, we found the guy who did the lead replating of the filler tubes wasn't doing it anymore.
I don't recall now who it was that was doing them then, though the restoration shop didn't know of anyone else who did this process other than the guy who stopped doing them.
Is Wilson still doing these?
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: Refinishing gas filler and ECS tubes - 06/17/17 04:34 PM

I had Wilson do the one in my GTX last year. Came out great.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Refinishing gas filler and ECS tubes - 06/17/17 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By Neil
What are the options for refinishing the gas tank fill tube and 1970 ecs vent tube in the trunk? Looks like they have some sort of lead coating on them? Mine are still somewhat shiny, but full of scratches.

Once upon a time a swear I saw repos on Ebay, but I can't find any for an A-Body.

You could do your own if you have a good torch set up?, if the original is in good shape just heat the entire tube until the lead solder is wet, then wipe it with a folded rag dampened with water, you have to work quickly! long strokes in an orderly fashion

If the tube's original finish needs to be removed along with rust/etc, sandblast the tube clean, then polish the tube with sandpaper to about a 400 grit finish, to re-coat it in lead solder, you'll need to dip the tube in Stainless Steel flux (hydrochloric acid)prior to tinning it with lead solder
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: Refinishing gas filler and ECS tubes - 06/19/17 12:01 AM

I bead blasted mine and used Tinning butter on it.Came out pretty nice.

Attached picture DSCN0410.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums