Moparts

TCP global dash paint pricing PPG vs their brand?

Posted By: sawdust

TCP global dash paint pricing PPG vs their brand? - 02/22/09 08:15 PM

Went to get the suede finish PPG lacquer paint from TCP and noticed a large price diff of over $100/qt between their brand and PPG. Love to save money but not sure of their brand vs the quality I have always used with Ditzler products.
Anyone have experience with the TCP product especially with dash frame suede paints.
Posted By: cdp

Re: TCP global dash paint pricing PPG vs their brand? - 02/22/09 08:33 PM

I just picked up a qt. of 69-suade black and also some Mandarine orange urethane, but havn't sprayed either.

To me, its probably like Dupont vs. Nason. Both are produced by Dupont, but Nason is a bit cheaper.

More than likely, almost the same, just different label.
Posted By: copchaser

Re: TCP global dash paint pricing PPG vs their brand? - 02/22/09 08:37 PM

I've sprayed some of there house brand paint before and it is complete garbage. The colors where hot rod black and egg shell white, never again. Just my
Posted By: AdamR

Re: TCP global dash paint pricing PPG vs their brand? - 02/22/09 08:41 PM

I used there paint before.No problems, Color match was right on

The engine compartment has been re sprayed with there paint, The rest of the car was original paint.

Posted By: sawdust

Re: TCP global dash paint pricing PPG vs their brand? - 02/22/09 08:49 PM

Quote:

've sprayed some of there house brand paint before and it is complete garbage. The colors where hot rod black and egg shell white, never again. Just my

This is my concern when buying the suede finish, want it to look original and if not mixed correctly it will look, well, cheap.

Re: TCP global dash paint pricing PPG vs their brand? - 02/22/09 09:33 PM

There is a test blot on the top of my can and it matches my steering column in feel/texture. Its a simple lacquer mix.

If I was painting an outside of a car, I'd be a more concerned, but on dash/resto pieces, I think it will be fine.

Attached picture 5044743-tc_paint.jpg

Re: TCP global dash paint pricing PPG vs their brand? - 02/22/09 09:41 PM

I did use PPG's mix on my 68 GTX convertible and it came out nice. But, it was $110 a quart plus tax. I bought 2 quarts. Both the same color, but different applications. Altogether, it was $250.

Ask TCP why such a break. I didn't ask, and went with their Resto line.

I'm going to do an engine paint comparison in the spring on the Mandarine orange vs. spray bombs and some Roger Gibson Deluxe I bought several years ago and never used.
© 2024 Moparts Forums