Moparts

How to read date codes on starters

Posted By: blewbyu

How to read date codes on starters - 01/30/17 05:28 AM

I have a starter and there is a 69 in the center circle with several lines around it with little dots. How do you ready these for month or day? Was there different part numbers for different engines also?
Posted By: Cuda Cody

Re: How to read date codes on starters - 01/30/17 05:29 AM

Pie date wheel. Each section of the pie is a month and the dots are weeks, of coarse the 69 is the year. If I recall correctly.
Posted By: mopar346

Re: How to read date codes on starters - 01/30/17 05:47 AM

How about the barrel date? 3 digits for week and year?
Posted By: craigerlitz

Re: How to read date codes on starters - 01/30/17 07:28 AM

Originally Posted By blewbyu
I have a starter and there is a 69 in the center circle with several lines around it with little dots. How do you ready these for month or day?

I found the following link helpful. According to the article, the date is the year and month.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-0110-taking-inventory-date-coding/
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: How to read date codes on starters - 01/30/17 08:05 AM

scope is this accurate/correct? shruggy

Attached picture rm23u2g starter photo 2 dates.jpg
Posted By: Cuda Cody

Re: How to read date codes on starters - 01/30/17 08:11 AM

I think Dan has it perfect.
Posted By: 70RT

Re: How to read date codes on starters - 01/31/17 02:52 AM

Cody - the 3rd digit (reading from left to right) is typically the "year" designator. If that field coil can has domed philips screws holding the coils in place, then it is likely a 1972 assembled starter. As with anything Chrysler built, never say never. I actually saw my first example of juxtaposed week - year in an alternator stamping last week. Just goes to show...
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: How to read date codes on starters - 02/02/17 06:01 PM

Dans posted picture has it backwards on the barrel it is read week then year so the one in the pic is 14th week of 1972
Posted By: FC7cuda

Re: How to read date codes on starters - 02/02/17 06:38 PM

Is the pie wheel typically read clockwise or counter-clockwise? I know the month will be the same either way, but the week could change.

Tom
© 2024 Moparts Forums