Moparts

V.I.N tags restoration service

Posted By: L.R Helbling

V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/17/17 03:03 PM

Wondering if there is a service out there that will restore and beautify original VIN tags? My VIN got painted over and no longer bears the white silk screened pentastar markings. My car will be going for a rotisserie resto this coming Fall and Wwinter and I'd like to have this done. Thoughts or comments?
Posted By: blewbyu

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/17/17 03:57 PM

I believe you can buy the silk screen to re-apply to your vin tag. I am not sure who sells it. I know someone will chime in.
Posted By: mopar346

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/17/17 04:05 PM

ECS has the correct rivets well as the dry rub transfer and it is awesome but can be a real bear to get to stick correctly, you can soda blast the plate and paint it semi gloss and apply the dry rub. Make sure to cut the old rivets from the back side with a die grinder and push them out rather than drilling them from the top. If you drill them the bit can grab and spin the rivet causing damage. Not know of anyone that will restore it for you supply because of the chance of it getting lost in shipping and the value of it. If you lived near ECS he might consider a hand delivery of the plate for restoration, he is pretty cooperative and has some great products.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/17/17 05:17 PM

X2 . . . do it yourself, ECS product is perfect!!! Including the rivets and dry rub transfer . . . don't take a chance of losing something so important to your car !!!
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/17/17 07:33 PM

whomever is performing your restoration surely has the ability to restore the tag
Posted By: steve70

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/17/17 09:16 PM

Instrument Specialties in RI did mine when my dash was restored.

Attached picture cabraldash4cropped.jpeg

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/18/17 03:12 AM

yep, that's the level of attention and detail that I'm willing to pay good money for. What all do they include in the service. do they install the rivets too or just supply with new ones?

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/18/17 03:13 AM

Can you shoot me some contact numbers?
Posted By: flypaper

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/18/17 03:43 AM

ecs

http://www.ecsautomotive.com/

instrument specialties

http://www.instrument-specialties.com/
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/18/17 05:42 PM

I restored my VIN tag with the ECS dry transfer. I used SEM Trim Black on the tag. The stencil was easy to use. No reason that you couldn't do the job yourself.

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/18/17 06:37 PM

The ECS dry transfer looks good. Both of the links supplied by flypaper look like preferred choices. Thanks to FJR doc and Steve70 for input. I am leaning now on doing the VIN myself. The pic of the restored dash, though almost looks like there is a bit of metallic in with the black. Steve, is that a special paint that they used to restore your dash?

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/18/17 06:39 PM

Noted buddy. I just went back to this post when I realized that this ECS thing may in the end, play out well for me. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: steve70

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/18/17 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By L.R Helbling
The ECS dry transfer looks good. Both of the links supplied by flypaper look like preferred choices. Thanks to FJR doc and Steve70 for input. I am leaning now on doing the VIN myself. The pic of the restored dash, though almost looks like there is a bit of metallic in with the black. Steve, is that a special paint that they used to restore your dash?

The paint on the dash is the correct factory textured suede finish. I believe it's a PPG lacquer.

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/18/17 08:50 PM

Good to know I wouldn't have guessed. Sort of looks like Organosol to me with that slight metallic look to it which is also a lacquer. I always thought dashes were done in a plain semi-gloss black. Now I know. Thanks
Posted By: Morty426

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/18/17 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By L.R Helbling
Good to know I wouldn't have guessed. Sort of looks like Organosol to me with that slight metallic look to it which is also a lacquer. I always thought dashes were done in a plain semi-gloss black. Now I know. Thanks

As Steve said it's suede, not as textured as organisol. It's not easy to come by, but it looks great.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/18/17 11:52 PM

It is available, don't know if SEM is still out there in spray cans, I have one that is new and probably 20 years old.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=mopar+dash+paint

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/19/17 12:18 AM

Lots of great info on here going forward.
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/19/17 07:05 AM

The dash paint is sold by instrument specialties.
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/20/17 04:16 PM

Check out Cuda Cody's E body steering column rebuild videos he has some great info on suede paint.

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 01/20/17 07:26 PM

Yep, before long, I'll need all kinds of info on restoring a B-body steering column with console shifter correctly. That would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 03/12/17 01:13 PM

anyone chemical strip their vin tag? I saw the soda blast suggestion, but I am not setup for that.

I was hoping that soaking it in acetone, or a specific paint stripper, would work pretty easily.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 03/16/17 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda
anyone chemical strip their vin tag? I saw the soda blast suggestion, but I am not setup for that.

I was hoping that soaking it in acetone, or a specific paint stripper, would work pretty easily.

bump
Posted By: flypaper

Re: V.I.N tags restoration service - 03/16/17 03:59 AM

just use regular stripper
its not like its made of plastic or something that stripper can destroy..
© 2024 Moparts Forums