Moparts

E-Body Steering Column Part 4 (Final Assembly)

Posted By: Cuda Cody

E-Body Steering Column Part 4 (Final Assembly) - 01/10/17 09:10 PM

Part 4 of 4 of a "How-To" series about E-Body Steering columns. In this final Video we cover how to assemble the E-Body Steering column.

E-Body Steering Column Part 4 (Final Assembly)
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: E-Body Steering Column Part 4 (Final Assembly) - 01/11/17 12:22 AM

Great stuf Cody
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: E-Body Steering Column Part 4 (Final Assembly) - 01/11/17 01:06 AM

Cody, how about a video on how to repair a column shaft that has been collapsed. And the correct lengths that the different columns should be.
Posted By: tman

Re: E-Body Steering Column Part 4 (Final Assembly) - 01/11/17 01:34 AM

Awesome presentation!

Re: E-Body Steering Column Part 4 (Final Assembly) - 01/11/17 01:36 AM

E-Body shafts only have 2 lengths (manual & power steering), but the difference in length is in the lower half. So I think they all get repaired to the same length. It's measured from the top of the threaded end to the first of the plastic pins. I could double check some un-collapsed shafts, but I think it's like 16 3/8" or around there.

Mopar sold a kit to repair the collapsed steering column shafts. It did not replace the pins, instead it glues the shafts together so they would still collapse if in an accident. So that might be a good option to try first. If I had a collapsed shaft I could play around and find a good glue that would hold up to about the same impact strength as the original plastic pins.

[img]http://forum.e-bodies.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=199.0;attach=1520;image[/img]

Attached picture DSC02458.JPG
Posted By: Dodge

Re: E-Body Steering Column Part 4 (Final Assembly) - 01/11/17 03:34 AM

Very good info as always up
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: E-Body Steering Column Part 4 (Final Assembly) - 01/11/17 04:08 AM

Cody: Was wondering if you had considered combining access these videos into a single thread and posting in the Questions and Answers section.

My observation over the years has been that it has far more viewers than does The Restoration 12 section.

I suspect that many members who might benefit form your fine effort may completely miss this.

I was also thinking that there could perhaps be another section created on the forum, where how to videos and other such instructive teachings might be archived.

I have stumbled over many, but a separate "Go To" could prove helpful,,,,kind of a super sticky section.
Posted By: Dodge

Re: E-Body Steering Column Part 4 (Final Assembly) - 01/11/17 04:25 AM

A list, so you could go down the list instead of searching.How to restore this part, or parts restoration section that more than one person could post there way to restore the same part. In that same post and each post, the venders could list that they sell a part needed in the restoration and maybe even list the part # and price.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: E-Body Steering Column Part 4 (Final Assembly) - 01/11/17 04:57 AM

Cody, actually mine is a 71 B body. But the procedure would be the same. I have seen that repair kit, but finding that now a days I guess would be impossible. I took mine apart and the inner tube has a milled slot the the plastic filled along with the hole. I trie shot glue, but that didn't work very well. Just wondering if there would be a better option.

Re: E-Body Steering Column Part 4 (Final Assembly) - 01/11/17 07:47 AM

Well, there's gotta be something out there that would work, but I'm just not sure without doing some testing. With today's 2 part epoxy and glues it would just come down to testing a couple different ones. I would look Lords Adhesives. Most of them might be too strong, but if you contact them or go to a local supplier they might have something that will work. Don't give up. I know you can find a solution. smile

http://www.lord.com/products-and-solutions/brands/lord---adhesives

Originally Posted By 71birdJ68
Cody, actually mine is a 71 B body. But the procedure would be the same. I have seen that repair kit, but finding that now a days I guess would be impossible. I took mine apart and the inner tube has a milled slot the the plastic filled along with the hole. I trie shot glue, but that didn't work very well. Just wondering if there would be a better option.

Re: E-Body Steering Column Part 4 (Final Assembly) - 01/11/17 08:31 AM

That's a good idea. I'll put them all in one post over there.

As for Sections on the Forum, I think that's a good idea. But not sure who does those things?

Originally Posted By Sxrxrnr
Cody: Was wondering if you had considered combining access these videos into a single thread and posting in the Questions and Answers section.

My observation over the years has been that it has far more viewers than does The Restoration 12 section.

I suspect that many members who might benefit form your fine effort may completely miss this.

I was also thinking that there could perhaps be another section created on the forum, where how to videos and other such instructive teachings might be archived.

I have stumbled over many, but a separate "Go To" could prove helpful,,,,kind of a super sticky section.
Posted By: Plum440

Re: E-Body Steering Column Part 4 (Final Assembly) - 01/14/17 01:45 PM

Great video! Thank you.
Posted By: EL5 71

Re: E-Body Steering Column Part 4 (Final Assembly) - 01/14/17 06:07 PM

What kind of grease are you using for the final assembly and your coupler? Very, very helpful videos Cody. Thank you again for taking the time to share your procedures with us. Much appreciated. Eddie
Posted By: RV2

Re: E-Body Steering Column Part 4 (Final Assembly) - 01/15/17 02:07 AM

Thanks for the videos

Re: E-Body Steering Column Part 4 (Final Assembly) - 01/15/17 10:15 AM

I use synthetic wheel bearing grease, but any good grease should work well.

Originally Posted By EL5 71
What kind of grease are you using for the final assembly and your coupler? Very, very helpful videos Cody. Thank you again for taking the time to share your procedures with us. Much appreciated. Eddie
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: E-Body Steering Column Part 4 (Final Assembly) - 01/15/17 04:19 PM

I don`t have a e body but my lock plate pin was solid. Did you replace it with a roll pin or is e body or other years different?

Re: E-Body Steering Column Part 4 (Final Assembly) - 01/15/17 08:11 PM

I reuse the original pins. Then put the cover cap back over them to hold them in.

Originally Posted By mopars4ever
I don`t have a e body but my lock plate pin was solid. Did you replace it with a roll pin or is e body or other years different?
© 2024 Moparts Forums