Moparts

How do I remove surface rust without blasting??

Posted By: cdp

How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/15/09 12:24 AM

I'm ready to restore my brake pedal assembly and have surface rust all over...as everything was bare metal.

I could bead blast, but it would not have the original sheen at that point.

I was thinking of a muratic acid and water solution to dip them in. Would this be too harsh to try?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Posted By: GMP440

Re: How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/15/09 12:30 AM

Fill a container with Ospho and let it sit for about an hour or so. Rust will be gone and you will have clean metal again.

Re: How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/15/09 12:36 AM

Where do I get Ospho? Heard of it, but never used it.

Thanks
Posted By: GMP440

Re: How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/15/09 12:52 AM

Advance Auto and Pep Boys sell it. Also any auto paint supply store will have it too.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/15/09 01:13 AM

I never treid the ospho but have used PPGDX579 thnk it is close to the same thing

Re: How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/15/09 01:19 AM

PPG.....10x more expensive I bet.
Posted By: etek

Re: How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/15/09 01:36 AM

OPSHO is just diluted Phosporic Acid. You can either get it straight, or in Brands like Metal Ready (from POR15).
But it leaves a white residue (or black if really heavy), so your "sheen" will be gone. Of course once you have surface rust the sheen is gone anyways, so whatever, right?! I'd sand or bead blast if your have access, then paint it with a Cast Silver, or spray Graphite Lube on it and rub it - it leaves a clean dark metal look (just the lead is left once the carriers flash off- Awesome on manifolds).
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/15/09 01:45 AM

The safest way to remove surface rust without blasting AND not use ANY corrosive chemicals is Ultra One.
I use it and it works.
Miss Belvedere is at the Ultra One shop.
http://www.ultraone.com/
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/15/09 02:51 PM

The last thing you want to do is sandblast those bare steel underdash parts. You will ruin the natural look to it. Here is a picture of an assembly that I did a while back. I submerge them in Evaporust. They come out looking like new with all the shiney stamping lines still visible. I do them same with all other bare steel underdash parts like the E-brake and the heater box.

Attached picture 5026415-Picture1023.jpg

Re: How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/15/09 02:58 PM

Thanks, thats the finish I'm wanting. I do have a few quarts of metal ready that I put misc. half rusty bolts and nuts in and let them set a while. But I havn't had much luck with pitted metal and such and thought it would be too harsh for what I wanted.

I did order som Ultraone. I see some other things like E-brake cables and stuff I could use it for as well as the degreaser.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/15/09 04:05 PM

Hot Rod just did an article on this
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/body/hrdp_0901_rust_removal_guide/index.html
Good luck, and keep those parts looking factory!
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/15/09 09:03 PM

Evaporust works great...AND is very safe.

Re: How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/15/09 09:12 PM

i went to Harbor Freight today to get some moving blankets and they had evopo-rust. I bought a gallon and am going to give it a test try. I'll post some pics.

Re: How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/18/09 01:54 AM

A few parts soaked overnight in Evapo-rust, then used a plastic bristle brush to scrub down with. This is what I got. A before and after.

Attached picture 5033319-TQ_carbs023.jpg

Re: How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/18/09 01:56 AM

after

Attached picture 5033326-TQ_carbs036.jpg

Re: How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/18/09 04:36 AM

Quote:

The last thing you want to do is sandblast those bare steel underdash parts. You will ruin the natural look to it. Here is a picture of an assembly that I did a while back. I submerge them in Evaporust. They come out looking like new with all the shiney stamping lines still visible. I do them same with all other bare steel underdash parts like the E-brake and the heater box.

How do you keep them looking like that? A flat clear?
Posted By: BADBEE

Re: How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/18/09 05:23 AM

Yes, I strongly agree, Evapo-Rust is the way to go.
I have been using and raving about this product for 4 or 5 years. I use to have to order it from the manufacturer in Arkansas before it went to the mass merchants. Its great stuff. Just be sure to clear the parts to protect them when you are done cleaning them or the will start to rust.
Posted By: BADBEE

Re: How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/18/09 05:26 AM

I like to use a satin clear myself.

Re: How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/18/09 11:26 AM

I was planning on a satin clear also. Something like I used on my heater box. Krylon Satin clear.

Re: How do I remove surface rust without blasting?? - 02/18/09 05:07 PM

Don't think it would work good on a large part like a floor secton since it will have to stay wet to work.
I wonder what percentage the evapo rust is compaired to the PPG DX579
I have some of that and it must stay wet to work. It smells nasty and ya gotta wear gloves.
© 2024 Moparts Forums