Moparts

What rear springs for my E body

Posted By: fireeng

What rear springs for my E body - 11/01/16 04:07 PM

I am looking to replace the stock rear leaf springs on my 71 challenger. My car was originally a plain jane 318 car with 8 3/4 rear end. I have swapped to a 340/727 combo and upgraded to 3.55 limited slip rear. My car sits low in the rear, about an inch of the rear tires (60 series, 15" polyglas) is covered on top by the quarter panels. I had installed air shocks as a quick fix to lift the rear end. When over filled I can raise the rear of the car so I can see about an inch over the tire showing and something close to that would be my final goal for ride height. I now want to do it right so what leaf springs should I get and where is the best place to purchase?? also looking to replace the shocks all the way around. Looking for the best I can get.. Suggestions please....thanks for any help
Posted By: Erik

Re: What rear springs for my E body - 11/01/16 04:52 PM

ESPO! They make a 1" over stock arch rear spring. I used them on one of my Challengers and loved it. Not overly expensive and excellent service. I use them for all of my cars now. Ditch those air shocks ASAP!
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: What rear springs for my E body - 11/01/16 07:27 PM

http://www.springsnthings.com/

Here the link to ESPO springs. Never used them so I have no opinion on how good they are. Have used SS Springs from Chrysler, the older ones lasted with no problems for years and the old springs never relaxed in their height, they were in my A12. Pulled the ladder bars and slider kit out of the Challenger and put a new set of SS springs in the Challenger and they have lost there height very quickly, with in a year. I do not recommend new SS Springs. Using SS Spring you will need the longer front spring hangers. One thing I like that ESPO says in the write up is that the springs are matched in height and that is good for your application being an automatic and small block. There is one other way to go by using the stock springs that would of come on a Hemi or 440-6 car and having those springs redone but you are taking your chances on older springs and the people will set them to the proper ride height.The stock spring numbers end in 024 and 034.

The Air shocks, like said above by Erik toss them, buy shocks that are good for your applications and do not alter your spring height and make the springs non effective on acceleration.
Posted By: Erik

Re: What rear springs for my E body - 11/01/16 08:36 PM

Here's a pic of my old Challenger 'vert that has the ESPO 1" over stock lift springs. Not too high and gives a nice stance.

Posted By: Morty426

Re: What rear springs for my E body - 11/01/16 08:56 PM

What ever you do ditch the air shocks
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: What rear springs for my E body - 11/02/16 02:00 AM

I have fought this battle on a number of occasions and would like to suggest this; order springs with an inch or so MORE lift than you want. Because it is difficult to judge exactly how high the new springs will raise your rear compared to what you have now.

If the new springs are too high, it is easy to use some spacers to get the rear down where you want it. Then there is the chance that the springs will settle at least a little. Then you can pull the spacers and you are back where you want to be.

In other words, too tall is no problem to address. Too low and you're back to the same old issues.

IHTH
Posted By: 1932chrysler

Re: What rear springs for my E body - 11/02/16 03:26 AM

I have used Eaton Detroit spring They have several plus sizes available for your application
https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/leaf-springs/

twocents Donald
Posted By: fireeng

Re: What rear springs for my E body - 11/02/16 03:32 AM

Thanks Donald!!Good to hear from you, hope all is well.
© 2024 Moparts Forums