Moparts

Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover

Posted By: Mike Mancini

Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/11/09 11:25 PM

Does anyone know who's making these?..the cardboard wheel cover. I can't remember where I saw them.....

Thanks
Mike
Posted By: A12

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/11/09 11:37 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know who's making these?..the cardboard wheel cover. I can't remember where I saw them.....

Thanks
Mike

CARDBOARD!!!!!!!!

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/11/09 11:39 PM

yah someone had a cardboard cover kit they were selling on ebay...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/11/09 11:41 PM

ITS NOT CARDBOARD.
but id like to know if anyone knows where to get the dodge boys promo discs?i saw they were reproduced a while back.

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/11/09 11:43 PM

Yes, i know they were not cardboard originally, but there was someone selling cardboard repro's on ebay....

Attached picture 5018423-694406roadrunner.jpg
Posted By: anlauto

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/11/09 11:55 PM

I found this ad in the E Body section, but I'm guessing they're made out of metal....

am just a couple of weeks away from completing this product which was available back in 1969 to Chrysler dealers. These stationary wheel discs were available to both Plymouth and Dodge dealers to promote the Roadrunner and Dodge products to go along with their "Ride with the Dodge Boys" advertising campaign.

I will be offering these with a variety of logos on them that will be cool for all models, A,B,C, and E bodies.

If you are not familar with these, they are white, flat, wheel discs with Logos on them like the running Roadrunner. The wheel disc stays stationary while the front wheels turn giving the impression that the front wheels are sliding. VERY COOL and guaranteed to draw a lot of attention to your car. Really cool on the drag strip.

Pricing will vary but will be $399. or under plus shipping.

Taking advance orders now.

darryl@sedonarental.com

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 12:08 AM

Quote:

I found this ad in the E Body section, but I'm guessing they're made out of metal....

am just a couple of weeks away from completing this product which was available back in 1969 to Chrysler dealers. These stationary wheel discs were available to both Plymouth and Dodge dealers to promote the Roadrunner and Dodge products to go along with their "Ride with the Dodge Boys" advertising campaign.

I will be offering these with a variety of logos on them that will be cool for all models, A,B,C, and E bodies.

If you are not familar with these, they are white, flat, wheel discs with Logos on them like the running Roadrunner. The wheel disc stays stationary while the front wheels turn giving the impression that the front wheels are sliding. VERY COOL and guaranteed to draw a lot of attention to your car. Really cool on the drag strip.

darryl@sedonarental.com

if they are anything like his bogus buildsheets, ill pass thankyou.
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 12:20 AM

Talk to this guy....

darryl@sedonarental.com

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 12:26 AM

over the last few years the reproductions were made of aluminum as were the originals.....

Attached picture 5018534-WheeldiscRRrs.jpg

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 12:33 AM

Two problems with licensing, well make that three and I wonder how much that will cost?

1.) Plymouth (Chrysler$$)

2.) Road Runner (Warner Bros./Time Warner. $$$)

3.) Road Runner Internet (Time Warner $$$$)

Will this be legally possible??????

Chris, the Dodge promo wheel discs may be a little bit easier, only Chrysler to deal with?

MikeR

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 12:38 AM

Quote:

Two problems with licensing, well make that three and I wonder how much that will cost?

Chris, the Dodge promo wheel discs may be a little bit easier, only Chrysler to deal with?

MikeR

very simple Answer!!!!

Back when Plymouth was kicking around the idea of the Roadrunner name and thought of using the cartoon character, they found that Warner Brothers had never trademarked the image and didn't have to pay anything for the use of it. I think it actually was benifitial to both in the long run in the awareness it created for both.

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 12:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

MikeR

very simple Answer!!!!

Back when Plymouth was kicking around the idea of the Roadrunner name and thought of using the cartoon character, they found that Warner Brothers had never trademarked the image and didn't have to pay anything for the use of it. I think it actually was benifitial to both in the long run in the awareness it created for both.

Really NO TRADEMARK?....I kind of doubt that, not in this day and age IMO.

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 12:54 AM

LOONEY TUNES, characters, names and all related indicia are trademarks of Warner Bros. © 2003

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 12:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MikeR

very simple Answer!!!!

Really NO TRADEMARK?....I kind of doubt that, not in this day and age IMO.

That was the Reply i got from the above guy I got info from.....

Seems if back then there was no trade mark..it is legit
Posted By: 1fastrunner

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 01:06 AM

I had heard somewhere that Plymouth used the RoadRunner "Theme" for about $5/ vehicle.
Jim

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 01:29 AM

Rich, sorry if I'm reading something wrong into this, are you saying there should be no problem now (2009) using the image and text from the original (1969) wheel discs. I know that Mike Ro...got a little hand slapping for the first sets years ago. I just don't see how someone now is going to make them, even out of cardboard, without paying someone some $$$$

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 01:34 AM

Quote:

Rich, sorry if I'm reading something wrong into this, are you saying there should be no problem now (2009) using the image and text from the original (1969) wheel discs. I know that Mike Ro...got a little hand slapping for the first sets years ago. I just don't see how someone now is going to make them, even out of cardboard, without paying someone some $$$$

Deff... I agree... I asked the same question.......!!!
Posted By: cdp

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 01:39 AM

Its real simple....

Have an "official" Barrelcuda (or input another name) charity fund. For a simple donation, you get a FREE set of wheel discs.

I think the trademark infringement comes with selling/profit.

Remember what Laysons went thru!?

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 01:55 AM

Quote:

Its real simple....

Have an "official" Barrelcuda (or input another name) charity fund. For a simple donation, you get a FREE set of wheel discs.

I think the trademark infringement comes with selling/profit.

Remember what Laysons went thru!?

lol Just was reading a back Issue of MCG "Oct 2008" figured there was a issue!!
Posted By: Kirby

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 04:22 PM

Try Mike @ mlgrotto@att.net I emailed him a couple weeks ago about the Dodge Boys disks he had made up. Cant remember how much- but he said they are dead on-
Posted By: klunick

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 07:23 PM

Try Tony D at Tony's Parts. That is probably where you saw them on his 69 Hemi RR in last months issue.

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 07:47 PM

Quote:

Try Mike @ mlgrotto@att.net I emailed him a couple weeks ago about the Dodge Boys disks he had made up. Cant remember how much- but he said they are dead on-

kirby, just sent him a email, lets see what happens.i need the hardware also.

Attached picture 5020340-115-1539_IMG.JPG

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 07:49 PM

Quote:

Try Tony D at Tony's Parts. That is probably where you saw them on his 69 Hemi RR in last months issue.

NOT A HEMI

Attached picture 5020349-4890535-696BBLBURNOUTWITHCINDI28Medium29.jpg

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 07:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Chris.....

MikeR

Attached picture 5020356-050308SpringFlingXXII394-vi.jpg

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 07:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

damn, does that look sweet!!!
you just gave me goosebumps
where did you get those?
now i feel naked!!!

Chris.....

MikeR

Attached picture 5020367-115-1540_IMG.JPG

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 07:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

mike are you teasing me?

Chris.....

MikeR

Posted By: MrNormsTA

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 08:05 PM

My opinion is that the Dodge ones weren't as nice as the Plymouth, and not many survived and none to my knowledge have been repopped unlike the Roadrunner. They are like looking for hen's teeth. I have been able to only score one in umpteen years. Figure I will mount it on the best side.

Rick.

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 08:08 PM

Rick, i thought i saw someone making them a few years ago, i thought the ad stated either the plymouth or dodge available. i think around $399.00 with hardware or am i going
Posted By: MrNormsTA

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 08:12 PM

Quote:

Rick, i thought i saw someone making them a few years ago, i thought the ad stated either the plymouth or dodge available. i think around $399.00 with hardware or am i going

You see the roadrunner ones come up for sale on occasion, but never see the bee ones. They might of been repopped, you just never see them around.
Posted By: klunick

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/12/09 09:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

NOT A HEMI

Oops, my bad, I meant 440/6.

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/13/09 12:39 AM

Quote:

thanks kirby, just bought a set off of mike, he hooked me up and what a great guy!!!!
THE DODGE BOYS promo discs are on the way. ill post some pictures when they arrive.

Attached picture 5021013-115-1536_IMG.JPG
Posted By: Kirby

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/13/09 03:28 PM

Glad I could help- Make sure to post a pic right away for us-
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/13/09 04:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You see the roadrunner ones come up for sale on occasion, but never see the bee ones. They might of been repopped, you just never see them around.

I think these are the metal repro's. They have to be at least 3 years old.

Posted By: TONY_DAGOSTINO

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover *DELETED* - 02/13/09 04:13 PM

Post deleted by TONY_DAGOSTINO
Posted By: TONY_DAGOSTINO

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/13/09 04:15 PM

a bigger pic, next to an original

Attached picture 5022242-DSC00610(Large).JPG
Posted By: Kudakidd

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/13/09 04:40 PM

Quote:

Depression. What depression?
Posted By: Ts road runner

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/14/09 04:15 AM

Plymouth actually did pay $50,000 for permission to use Warner Bros. trademark and with this they were able to use the meep meep sound for their horn.
Posted By: mopargem

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/14/09 04:29 AM

Theres just something about that hat, it reminds me to much of a 60's Dodge pick up with cushion beam suspension!
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/14/09 04:42 AM

It seems obvious that they were promoting 69 Runners with the RoadRunner disks so why don't the Dodge disks have Superbees on them? I wonder if the Dodge disks were developed for 67's before they came out with a Bee? The hat leaves a little to be desired. I would think there'd be a market for a Superbee or Scatpack disk if someone wanted to make the one Dodge should have come out with but never did?
Posted By: BradD

Re: Roadrunner Promotional Wheel Cover - 02/18/09 02:38 AM

I know of an original Dodge boys disc hanging on a shop wall with a clock movement in it! Been there for years.
© 2024 Moparts Forums