Moparts

Restoring original positive battery cable

Posted By: C_B5

Restoring original positive battery cable - 10/02/16 01:09 AM

The original positive battery cable on my 72 challenger is in really good condition including the original black tape wrap and part # tag.

The problem is the battery post connector head - the wires are pulling out and are exposed

Mega parts sells just a replacement head that looks close to the factory style and attaches to cable with set screws

Of course it won't look exactly like the original but has anyone repaired the terminal head end in order to retain the original cable ?

Looking for any tips / recommendations
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Restoring original positive battery cable - 10/02/16 04:57 AM

I tried one of those cable ends. It worked ok but it never was as snug as I would have liked. I still have it around here somewhere as I put a nos cable on in place.
Posted By: 69bfan

Re: Restoring original positive battery cable - 10/02/16 05:10 AM

We can take your existing cable and cut the damaged head away leaving the exposed wires. Then a correct style head is poured back around the existing cable much as the reproduction or any battery cable for that matter is made. We have done this on several cables both positive and negative so that the car could retain the original cables. There is a difference in what I call the Packard brick red color of an original cable vs the more pinkish red found on the cables on the market today. We have seen on some cables that there is some oxidation of the metal and it has to be trimmed back slightly, but there is most times enough excess not to be an issue. The service runs approximately $35 to replace the head. If it needs to be retaped or the starter lug replaced, it will be slightly more. If you have any questions give me a call or I will be at the Hershey meet and I will be glad to answer any questions.
Richard O'Shields
Restoration Parts and Materials
404-643-5760
Posted By: whomper1

Re: Restoring original positive battery cable - 10/03/16 03:55 PM

Richard, that sounds like a great service. can you post some pictures of the finished product?
thank you
Posted By: 69bfan

Re: Restoring original positive battery cable - 10/03/16 04:47 PM

I am currently out of town getting ready for the Hershey meet, but will attempt to get a before and after picture to post.
Thanks,
Richard
© 2024 Moparts Forums