Moparts

Engine and Transmission Cradle Plans

Posted By: 70RT

Engine and Transmission Cradle Plans - 09/30/16 03:23 AM

Guys - was hoping someone here would be willing to share their plans/specs/pictures of an k-frame/engine/tranny cradle used when taking the drivetrain with suspension attached out from the bottom. Appreciate any and all help provided. I have a local fabricator lined up just need some starting points. TIA!
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: Engine and Transmission Cradle Plans - 09/30/16 04:36 AM

Here is one I made that supports the engine by the oil pan. Fits BB and SB and rides on top of a motorcycle jack, making it easy to maneuver.

Attached picture P1010019.JPG
Attached picture P1010023.JPG
Attached picture P1010022.JPG
Attached picture P1010001-1.JPG
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Engine and Transmission Cradle Plans - 09/30/16 02:40 PM

PM an e-mail address for set of plans, I'm not on my computer and cant figure out how to upload the doc from an e-mail but I can forward it and then someone could attach it.

Re: Engine and Transmission Cradle Plans - 10/02/16 06:20 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!
Posted By: 68jim

Re: Engine and Transmission Cradle Plans - 10/03/16 02:04 AM

This is one I made several years ago for my 68 RR project. I made it a little taller so I could have room to work it under my lift as I was bolting it in. Couple of small issues I ran into was with the Milodon oil pan and K-frame - I needed to put a notch in the one upper rail to clear the pan. I also put some nylon sheet scraps on the top to protect the paint (wood would work just as well). I used a spare scissor jack I got out of some car at the junkyard to allow me to fine adjust the angle during installation (weld it to the cradle so it does not move). I also put the spindles and brakes together on the K-frame initially but since my lift was a 4-post style I had to remove them to clear the lift tracks. It was probably a little overkill for a one time shot but I gave it to a mopar restoration shop so it still sees good use.

Jim

Attached picture DCP02230.JPG
Attached picture DCP02232.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5979.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5982.JPG

Re: Engine and Transmission Cradle Plans - 10/03/16 04:05 AM

Thanks Jim! That's exactly what I needed.

Re: Engine and Transmission Cradle Plans - 10/03/16 09:12 AM

70RT,

Are you using a lift? 2 post or 4 post? Or are you lifting the front end high with the rear end as the pivot point?

My style cradle will work fine with a lift but is too tall for the pivot method.

Re: Engine and Transmission Cradle Plans - 10/04/16 02:57 AM

Two post lift. The only point I'm not clear on is the front two front contact points. Engine or K-frame? Thanks!

Re: Engine and Transmission Cradle Plans - 10/04/16 10:59 AM

Two post lift will make it much easier. I also had to put 4 notches in the drip pan lips on the lift tracks to clear the K-frame "ears". The process, once I started pushing the motor under the car, took all of 20 minutes until I was raising the car to clear the cradle. I added a few more pictures - the K-frame is what makes contact to the cradle front contact points. I do not have an exact measurement for height but you get an idea of how much room we had to bolt in the trans cross member. If you make it higher for more room the tradeoff will be in the overall stability, or just make it wider as well.

Good luck - would like to see pics of what you end up with.

Attached picture IMG_5973.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5979.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5981.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5988.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums