Moparts

Edelbrock 6bbl manifold?

Posted By: GB5andGY8

Edelbrock 6bbl manifold? - 02/09/09 08:58 PM

I originally posted this under Q&A, but didn't get much of a response.

Can anyone tell me how to ID an Eddy 6bbl manifold to tell whether it is one of the originals from the '69 Six-pack cars vs. one of the new aluminum castings?

Thanks!
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Edelbrock 6bbl manifold? - 02/09/09 09:04 PM

The OEM part has a part # cast-into it.
Posted By: GB5andGY8

Re: Edelbrock 6bbl manifold? - 02/09/09 09:20 PM

Quote:

The OEM part has a part # cast-into it.

Thanks! I just happen to have access to a late-model Eddy manifold to compare to the other one, so I will check them both out side-by-side tonight.
Posted By: Troy

Re: Edelbrock 6bbl manifold? - 02/09/09 09:26 PM

Here is how it went I believe...

Original intake said "Edelbrock" on the #1 runner and a casting number between the first and second carb.

The first generation of repops had the Edelbrock and the casting numbers BUT it also had a "CH6" casted into the heat crossover.

The second generation of repops had everything but the Edelbrock on it. I was told that these were made overseas but I have no proof of it.

The third generation and the ones that they sell today do say Edelbrock...do have the casting numbers and do not have the "CH6" on the cross over. They are very correct.

Another way to tell an original one from all of the aftermarket is the originals had good port alignment...if you look where the intake gaskets seal against the intake the floor of the runners were even from one port to the next. ALL of the repops are off up to 1/8" All of my Stock Eliminator customers always ask me to look at the ports before shipping them out....hoping that I will find a intake that has a little better port alignment....they never do.
Posted By: A12

Re: Edelbrock 6bbl manifold? - 02/09/09 11:13 PM

Quote:

Here is how it went I believe...

Original intake said "Edelbrock" on the #1 runner and a casting number between the first and second carb.

The first generation of repops had the Edelbrock and the casting numbers BUT it also had a "CH6" casted into the heat crossover.

The second generation of repops had everything but the Edelbrock on it. I was told that these were made overseas but I have no proof of it.

The third generation and the ones that they sell today do say Edelbrock...do have the casting numbers and do not have the "CH6" on the cross over. They are very correct.

Another way to tell an original one from all of the aftermarket is the originals had good port alignment...if you look where the intake gaskets seal against the intake the floor of the runners were even from one port to the next. ALL of the repops are off up to 1/8" All of my Stock Eliminator customers always ask me to look at the ports before shipping them out....hoping that I will find a intake that has a little better port alignment....they never do.

Originals and CH6 "service replacements" had "046" ending part numbers and later part number (current?) is "048"
Posted By: Troy

Re: Edelbrock 6bbl manifold? - 02/09/09 11:42 PM

Really....I believe you but I have to check that out!!

Thanks!!
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Edelbrock 6bbl manifold? - 02/10/09 03:09 AM

& isn't there a "CH6B" or is that the one for the 383?
Posted By: A12

Re: Edelbrock 6bbl manifold? - 02/10/09 05:33 AM

Quote:

I was told by someone at Edelbrock a few years back that if they had a Chrysler part number they were only made for Chrysler and "our oldest employee here that was working for us back then gave me that info" and CH6B "stood for Chrysler 6 Barrel" Here are two 440 "046" part numbered intakes one with CH6B one without.

MikeR

Attached picture 5014239-Edelbrockintake0002CH6B.JPG
Posted By: rftroy

Re: Edelbrock 6bbl manifold? - 02/10/09 06:31 AM

Quote:

Can anyone tell me how to ID an Eddy 6bbl manifold to tell whether it is one of the originals from the '69 Six-pack cars vs. one of the new aluminum castings?

Some aluminum manifolds also came on early 1970 Six Pack cars. My Roadrunner has one. No CH6B on mine.

Bob

Re: Edelbrock 6bbl manifold? - 02/10/09 06:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Some aluminum manifolds also came on early 1970 Six Pack cars. My Roadrunner has one. No CH6B on mine.

Bob

What is the SPD & plant of your RoadRunner??

Re: Edelbrock 6bbl manifold? - 02/10/09 07:48 AM

Here's one I have that has "CH6" but no part #

Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Edelbrock 6bbl manifold? - 02/10/09 12:04 PM

Quote:

The 383 manifold is a DP6.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Edelbrock 6bbl manifold? - 02/10/09 01:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bob

I have a '70 Cuda that came with the aluminum intake. SPD is A12, Hamtrack.
I also know of a '70 RR with aluminum intake that has a SPD within a few days of my Cuda, I think it was a few days earlier. I don't recall the SPD exactly or if was Lynch or St L, it was 18 years ago when we compared cars/motors.
Both cars were unrestored, unmodified and bought from original owners 20plus years ago. Intakes look exactly like the one on my '69 A12 Bee.
My B5 '70 Bee has a SPD of 929, St L, but original motor was gone when I got it and the iron intake on it wasn't original as it had a Dec cast date. I thought there may have be a possibility it had a aluminum int on it when new, so I put on of what sounds like Troy's 'first gen' CH6B intakes on it.

How common were 440-6 and 440 Six Packs with the '69 intake? I recall in one of GG articles he had documented a number of V code SuperBirds with '69 intakes.
Posted By: Quikshft

Re: Edelbrock 6bbl manifold? - 02/10/09 08:16 PM

At one time I was told one way to tell an original from later repops was the last character of the part no. On an original the "6" will be kind of skewed and funky looking. You can see the diff in the side by side comparo posted by A12 above.
Posted By: rftroy

Re: Edelbrock 6bbl manifold? - 02/11/09 02:37 AM

Quote:

C09, December 9, 1969; Los Angeles plant.

I bought the car in the spring of 1975.

Bob

P.S. Date first sold was December 23, 1969. Plum Crazy six pack Roadrunner. Heck of a nice Christmas present.
© 2024 Moparts Forums