Moparts

Which Rear End Gears?

Posted By: mrm82

Which Rear End Gears? - 05/27/16 03:36 AM

Aside from taking apart my rear end, how would I determine which rear end gears my 72 challenger has? I was under the assumption on my fender tag it would have a code D "72 thru 85" ? I have a D34 and then nothing until code E44. Any ideas? maybe I am just reading the codes wrong.... Thanks
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Which Rear End Gears? - 05/27/16 03:49 AM

Likely 3.23's. Raise the rear and count the driveshaft rotation vs 1 rotation of the wheels.
Posted By: blewbyu

Re: Which Rear End Gears? - 05/27/16 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By Pacnorthcuda
Likely 3.23's. Raise the rear and count the driveshaft rotation vs 1 rotation of the wheels.

This only works if it is a sure grip, an open rear can not be counted by this method.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Which Rear End Gears? - 05/27/16 04:46 AM

Does the speedo read correct? If it does remove the gear and see how many teeth it has. What is your rear tire size. Do you have an aftermarket tachometer? What is your RPM at 60 MPH?
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Which Rear End Gears? - 05/27/16 04:57 AM

Your rear end should have a little metal tag bolted to it that will have the ratio. Also the bottom of the carrier should be marked with wide stripes that also tell the ratio.

The gear ratio codes are not on the fender tag because they have nothing to do with how the body is built or painted.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Which Rear End Gears? - 05/27/16 04:59 AM

Originally Posted By blewbyu
Originally Posted By Pacnorthcuda

This only works if it is a sure grip, an open rear can not be counted by this method.

I think it still works with an open if you leave one wheel on the ground
© 2024 Moparts Forums