Moparts

Factory Defect?

Posted By: Kirby

Factory Defect? - 02/05/09 03:23 PM

So I was working on my 70 Challenger RT/SE clone last night, and it struck me that there is no spare tire hold down brackets welded in place. It was originally a 318/904/column shift car. I am absolutely positive that the pan has never been replace, and there is no signs of the brackets being cut out. I had the trunk sand blasted- so I'd be able to tell if either the pan was replaced, or any grinding to remove the brackets. Is this just another example of a "friday" built car, just sloppy manufacturing and a mistake- or did some cars not have them due to the way they were ordered (doesn't make sense) I think its just an error? Thought it was interesting.

Re: Factory Defect? - 02/05/09 09:16 PM

Anyone?
Posted By: burdar

Re: Factory Defect? - 02/05/09 09:26 PM

I don't have much information for you but I always thought that even if you didn't order a spare tire, you still got a rim mounted in the trunk. I would think that all cars would have had the spare tire hold downs.
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: Factory Defect? - 02/05/09 09:29 PM

Here's a picture of Tony D'Agostino's Challenger he
posted awhile back...
same missing spare tire bracket; yes, presumably a factory error.

Rick

Attached picture 5003395-oddball01.jpg

Re: Factory Defect? - 02/05/09 11:02 PM

Thanks Rick- I thought there was a debate in the past about this. Mine is by no means a survivor- but I am certain that there never was one in place- and the pan is original. I thought it was funny that I never noticed it and I've been working on it since october! Tony and I should compare build dates- and see if there is any connection.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Factory Defect? - 02/06/09 03:02 PM

Quote:

Here's a picture of Tony D'Agostino's Challenger he
posted awhile back...
same missing spare tire bracket; yes, presumably a factory error.

Rick

is that a convertible in that pic ? would the tire be mounted in the middle still on a 'vert ? I know 68 - 7- b bodies the spare was located elsewhere from hardtop/coupes ???
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Factory Defect? - 02/06/09 03:10 PM

Hard top E-bodies spare tire brackets have a bend, they install at the front on the flat & up over the raised lip.

E-Body 'verts have a flat bracket that mounts to the rear of the lip on the flat section.

Re: Factory Defect? - 02/06/09 04:38 PM

Yes... convertible like this:

Attached picture 5005348-trunkfloor_1_1.JPG
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: Factory Defect? - 02/06/09 05:41 PM

Quote:

I don't have much information for you but I always thought that even if you didn't order a spare tire, you still got a rim mounted in the trunk. I would think that all cars would have had the spare tire hold downs.

There was no provision for ordering a spare tire on an E-body. You had no choice, it came with one whether you wanted it or not...
Posted By: Mike Mancini

Re: Factory Defect? - 02/06/09 06:42 PM

I do not believe that to be true. Code W07 reads "Omit Spare"

Whether this selection also omited bracketry, I do not know.

Do either cars have this code on the broadcast sheet or fender tag?

Re: Factory Defect? - 02/06/09 07:22 PM

Interesting...
maybe Tony can check his sheet...
I know he has it handy; we were discussing info on it a couple days ago.

Rick

edit: just sent him a note...
Posted By: TONY_DAGOSTINO

Re: Factory Defect? - 02/06/09 07:36 PM

hi all

i have a spare code W34 = collaspible spare

my spd is 226 = feb 26th 1970

the car is F8 green, but does have the rad support blackout

also i had posted on another thread months ago (maybe rick kept that one too) that on the drivers side door jamb the outward facing screw for the rubber/steel 1/4 window to door jamb escutchin was never drilled

feb 26 1970 was a thurs, maybe it was really built on that friday when workers called in sick????????

weird

Re: Factory Defect? - 02/06/09 08:04 PM

yup... lol

Attached picture 5005777-oddball03.jpg

Re: Factory Defect? - 02/11/09 06:07 PM

I have the BS at home- I'll take a look
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Factory Defect? - 02/11/09 06:12 PM

Interesting...

Tav
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Factory Defect? - 02/11/09 06:17 PM

Quote:

the car is F8 green, but does have the rad support blackout

I've seen a couple F8 cars that also had the blackout so I went ahead and did mine.

Interesting stuff.

Dave

Re: Factory Defect? - 02/19/09 02:58 PM

I dug out the BS for this car. The Spare Code is 15, wheel color TX9, "road" 15. Does this help? I can read most other codes on the sheet. Let me know if I should post any more info off it, such as build date?

Re: Factory Defect? - 02/20/09 07:56 PM

© 2024 Moparts Forums