Moparts

'69 "Cuda" or "Formula S" grille finishes

Posted By: RealWing

'69 "Cuda" or "Formula S" grille finishes - 04/17/16 01:16 AM

What is the correct black finish on both the egg crate section and the surround piece?? Gloss black, semi gloss black, satin black?????
Thx
Jim
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: '69 "Cuda" or "Formula S" grille finishes - 04/17/16 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By RealWing
What is the correct black finish on both the egg crate section and the surround piece?? Gloss black, semi gloss black, satin black?????
Thx
Jim

Flat on the grill,painted, and the surrounds where not painted just black plastic out of the molds, on the shiny side
Standard surrounds where grey plastic painted silver
Posted By: RealWing

Re: '69 "Cuda" or "Formula S" grille finishes - 04/17/16 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By cudaman1969
Originally Posted By RealWing
Thx
Jim

Flat on the grill,painted, and the surrounds where not painted just black plastic out of the molds, on the shiny side
Standard surrounds where grey plastic painted silver

Thanks!!!
Posted By: kentj340

Re: '69 "Cuda" or "Formula S" grille finishes - 04/17/16 05:01 AM

AFAIK the front or leading edge of the egg crate section is unpainted. The rest of it is flat black. This is based on the appearance of my one owner 1969 340-S.

I restored the egg crates by painting them from the rear with flat black and with tape masking off the front edges. Or you can paint first then sandpaper the paint off the front edge if you think the egg crate is stout enough to withstand sanding.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: '69 "Cuda" or "Formula S" grille finishes - 04/18/16 01:38 AM

That is correct regarding the mesh grill.

Re: '69 "Cuda" or "Formula S" grille finishes - 04/20/16 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By kentj340
AFAIK the front or leading edge of the egg crate section is unpainted. The rest of it is flat black. This is based on the appearance of my one owner 1969 340-S.

I restored the egg crates by painting them from the rear with flat black and with tape masking off the front edges. Or you can paint first then sandpaper the paint off the front edge if you think the egg crate is stout enough to withstand sanding.

Yes, I did a second set like that, spray flat then sand front with a 2 inch block of wood and 1000 grit paper
Posted By: drgordi

Re: '69 "Cuda" or "Formula S" grille finishes - 04/29/16 08:53 AM

I have one molded grey surround that I am positive It was painted from the factory black on the inside. When I took off the aluminum trim there was black paint where you couldnt get it without having that trim off. If someone did they had the correct rivets to put it back on. This is my one and only experience with it.

Re: '69 "Cuda" or "Formula S" grille finishes - 05/01/16 04:06 AM

Never say never but I have two sets of black and one gray. One of the black is cracked and its black inside. Gray is broken in numerous pieces and gray inside. After 47 years you will see anything.
© 2024 Moparts Forums