Moparts

E Body front seat back bumpers

Posted By: 340clone

E Body front seat back bumpers - 04/04/16 03:43 AM

Does anyone have a photo of how the nylon seat back bumpers should be installed on 70-71 E Bodies? I have a set, but can't figure out how they fit onto the seat backs.

Thanks!
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: E Body front seat back bumpers - 04/04/16 03:46 AM

They press onto large screws, do you have those?

Re: E Body front seat back bumpers - 04/04/16 03:58 AM

1970 & early 1971 seat bumpers, note the two different screw tip styles. (they interchange just fine)

Attached picture 1970 & early 1971 seat bumpers.JPG

Re: E Body front seat back bumpers - 04/04/16 04:00 AM

Where they go after the foam & upholstery is on. (passenger side bucket seat back shown)

Attached picture 1970 & early 1971 seat bumper location.JPG
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: E Body front seat back bumpers - 10/20/19 01:20 PM

Digging up an older thread to ask the question . . .

So it appears most seat bumpers did not survive the test of time. Looking at the pic Barry posted it supports another picture I've seen posted by him of a bumper that did manage to survive. Looking at this installation method intuitively doesn't make sense to me, and leaves little doubt why most bumpers broke. This installation forces the bumper to support the occupant loads placed against the seat back, where the fastener is simply holding the bumper in position.

Looking at the engineering drawing it shows the screw being inserted thru the spacer into the seat back. (photo attached). Additionally the instructions provided by note 9 state to insert E (screw) thru hole in item F (bumper) and threading into the seat back. Installation by this method would support why the screw length is as long as it is. Had the intent of engineering been to install as previously suggested by this thread the spacer would have been drawn above the screw and the instructions would have stated to insert item E (screw) into bottom of F (bumper) . . . and the screw could have been much shorter in length.

Doing as instructed by the engineering drawing would make the bumper/spacer intent to eliminate the metal to metal striking of the screw on the seat bottom plate, a spacer for setting the screw depth, and a more appealing close out to a screw being exposed. The screw would then be used to support the forces created by the occupant and would have only a small piece of nylon extending beyond the screw head acting as a spacer and strike guard. In the event the spacer/bumper were to fail the seat back would still be supported by the fastener.

So where all bumpers installed as shown by this thread or was this simply one interpretation by a line worker.

Thanks for the input.

Attached picture Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 4.42.24 AM.png
Attached picture Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 4.41.42 AM.png

Re: E Body front seat back bumpers - 10/20/19 01:59 PM

Look at the caged seat back release button, that is the late '71 up type.

They typically used a different bumper system with a spring.

I'll get a photo of one when I get out to my shop in a bit.

Edit - this is the late '71 model year & newer type;

Attached picture mid-71 up seat back bumper.JPG

Re: E Body front seat back bumpers - 10/20/19 10:44 PM

Maybe I’m missing it Barry, unsure how that helps me with the 70 style and the discrepancy.

Re: E Body front seat back bumpers - 10/20/19 10:55 PM

The drawing above is for a late 1971 up seat, so it is too new to use for 1970 model year seats / bumpers if that helps?

Re: E Body front seat back bumpers - 10/21/19 12:56 AM

OK, to your point the drawing was initially released in May of 69 and was revised and redrawn in Aug of 70.

Honestly the image in the drawing of the spacer isn't a good representation of the 70, or later spacer you posted.

The 70 Service manual isn't of any help on the matter either. Same image as the engineering drawing but without find numbers and notes.

Back in the day I suspect I'd have gotten a few survivor pics on this thread but these days this place is a ghost town. Its a real shame
Posted By: floyd

Re: E Body front seat back bumpers - 10/21/19 12:38 PM

Here’s an original in my 71 Challenger. It’s an early-build car with several 70-style features. Funny, I replaced the D/S bumper awhile back and didn’t even check the other side to see how it was positioned. Looks like I’ll need to redo it.

Attached picture 8C4F00A4-9FE9-43AD-8E49-88768E54FBDE.jpeg

Re: E Body front seat back bumpers - 10/21/19 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by floyd
Here’s an original in my 71 Challenger. It’s an early-build car with several 70-style features. Funny, I replaced the D/S bumper awhile back and didn’t even check the other side to see how it was positioned. Looks like I’ll need to redo it.

Good to see a few folks still on here, and thanks for the photo, that certainly supports what Barry has posted.
Sounds like you too thought the screw should be inserted through the spacer/bumper.

Re: 1970 A, E & B Body front seat back bumpers - 10/21/19 06:37 PM

Here is an early 1970 model year in black that failed as they typically do with time;

Attached picture 1970 bucket seat back bump stop in black w.jpg

Re: 1970 A, E & B Body front seat back bumpers - 10/21/19 06:42 PM

Another early version in black on my 1970 Sport Satellite;

Attached picture 1970 bucket seat back bump stop in black 2 w.jpg
Posted By: floyd

Re: 1970 A, E & B Body front seat back bumpers - 10/21/19 07:00 PM

Just found this in my stash. Removed from a 70 Challenger.

Attached picture 4266FF46-8369-459E-942D-99B163D0528F.jpeg

Re: 1970 A, E & B Body front seat back bumpers - 10/21/19 07:31 PM

Thanks guys, I don’t have to like the design, nor understand the rational, looks like I have my direction.

Thanks for the help
Posted By: Aar1064

Re: 1970 A, E & B Body front seat back bumpers - 10/22/19 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by AAR#2
Thanks guys, I don’t have to like the design, nor understand the rational, looks like I have my direction.

Thanks for the help

You chose wisely Grasshopper..............................

Always best to confirm what's correct or factory even if it takes two weeks.............

Great info here.................
© 2024 Moparts Forums