Moparts

70 Roadrunner Seat Belt Question.

Posted By: TimS

70 Roadrunner Seat Belt Question. - 02/11/16 01:53 PM

My 70 Roadrunner, I've owned going on 30 years, has never had the correct seat belts in the front. I've owned lots of 69's and those had the male part of the clasp attached about halfway up the lap belt for use on the shoulder belts for a bench seat car. Same as my 69 Formula S bucket seat car. Would this be the same for a 70 model B Body with bench?

Thanks.
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: 70 Roadrunner Seat Belt Question. - 02/11/16 02:04 PM

I've got the OEM belts in my '70 Bee. Bench seats had two separate belts (driver side 2,passenger side 2) with female end for the lap and shoulders. Male ends at the roof and retractable at the hip.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: 70 Roadrunner Seat Belt Question. - 02/11/16 06:29 PM

Do you have buckets & console, or buckets with a buddy seat, or a bench seat. It will change what you have.

Re: 70 Roadrunner Seat Belt Question. - 02/11/16 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By NANKET
Do you have buckets & console, or buckets with a buddy seat, or a bench seat. It will change what you have.

I have the bench seat.

Re: 70 Roadrunner Seat Belt Question. - 02/11/16 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By Pynzo
I've got the OEM belts in my '70 Bee. Bench seats had two separate belts (driver side 2,passenger side 2) with female end for the lap and shoulders. Male ends at the roof and retractable at the hip.

Sounds like what you have is what I have now as well. So the 69's were opposite. Female end at the roof that attach to the center of the lap belt to a male end were the 70's had actual separate belts for the lap and shoulder. 2 female belts on each side. Do you have belts for a 3rd person up front also in the middle? Mine has that. I've got belts sticking out everywhere it seems.
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: 70 Roadrunner Seat Belt Question. - 02/11/16 07:32 PM

Yes I have the middle belt also. I have the standard belts, was considering getting the clips for the front of the seat to secure them too.

Re: 70 Roadrunner Seat Belt Question. - 02/11/16 09:16 PM

1970 bench should have two buckle ends on the seat for shoulder belt and lap belt for driver and passenger. Also a belt for a middle passenger. The shoulder belts on the headliner have female ends. 3 belts held down with each bolt on the tunnel. It is a big stack of seat belts on the seat.

The clips to hold the belts at the base of the seat were not available in 1970, but they would tidy up the front seat for sure.

Re: 70 Roadrunner Seat Belt Question. - 02/12/16 12:18 AM

I want to add that the shoulder belts are stored in the clips along the roof, the female buckle end goes behind them also. The 70 does not have the piece under the visor mount to hold the end of the belt.
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: 70 Roadrunner Seat Belt Question. - 02/12/16 02:37 AM

I want to add that the shoulder belts are stored in the clips along the roof, the female buckle end goes behind them also. The 70 does not have the piece under the visor mount to hold the end of the belt.

Pretty sure you meant to say "male" end for the shoulder belts is attached along the roof. The 69 models had the female shoulder belt....70 model year went to male shoulder belt.

Re: 70 Roadrunner Seat Belt Question. - 02/12/16 03:41 AM

I wonder why Mopar changed the 69 way of doing these belts. Seems allot more efficient use and stowage of them than in 70. Guess I do have the right ones in my car after all.

Re: 70 Roadrunner Seat Belt Question. - 02/12/16 03:46 AM

Seems crazy though that I have 3 female ended belts along the seat for the driver. 1 for the lap, 1 for the shoulder and one for a center passenger.

Re: 70 Roadrunner Seat Belt Question. - 02/12/16 04:16 AM

Yea thanks70 GTX,
male end on 70 shoulder belt.

Re: 70 Roadrunner Seat Belt Question. - 02/14/16 02:02 PM

Yes I do have the clips along the roof you are speaking of. So I'm in good shape it appears. I actually have what I'm supposed to have in this 70. Compared to a 69, it just seems a bit cluttered with 3 belts lying on each side of the seat.

Thanks all for help!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums