Moparts

70 R/T SE Headliner Brd.

Posted By: Anonymous

70 R/T SE Headliner Brd. - 01/30/09 04:43 AM

Finally finishing up my 70 DY3 440-6 R/T SE Challenger. My original headliner backing board (perf. particle board) is warped in a few areas, and I am leary of trying to straighten it and use it, for fear of it rewarping down the road.

Does anyone know a source for a new/repro. board? I think finding a good original would be tough (and expensive).

Thanks for any tips!
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: 70 R/T SE Headliner Brd. - 01/30/09 04:45 AM

im unaware of at the moment of any reproductions that are out there. I think youll have to make due.
Posted By: roadrunner383

Re: 70 R/T SE Headliner Brd. - 01/30/09 03:57 PM

If you straighten it and cover it with fiberglass cloth it should keep it from warping. I did mine this way and haven't had a problem.
Posted By: EV2RTSE

Re: 70 R/T SE Headliner Brd. - 01/31/09 02:18 PM

A while back there was a member here who reproduced the boards out of fiberglass. I'm not sure if he still does as he said they were very labor intensive to make. Supposedly he was going to put the mold up for sale. Not sure what the outcome was...
Posted By: 69440

Re: 70 R/T SE Headliner Brd. - 01/31/09 03:01 PM

I've repaired many of these with the same problem, and here's what I did. Lay the board on a flat table, heat it with steam. Steam seams to actually get the materail wet enough to where you can work with it. Once it's very hot, place a bunch of wieght where the warps are. I simply used a big pile of heavy books and placed them all around, then let it sit overnight. Once it was dry, it held it's shape, and once it's in the car, the overhead console is gonna help hold it in place also. If it's really bad, you night have to use some industrial strenght sticky back velcrow. Earlier poster is correct, as of yet, nobody is repopping em, at least that I'm aware of. Good luck.
Posted By: 2RTSE

Re: 70 R/T SE Headliner Brd. - 01/31/09 10:53 PM

I still have the mold. May make a few in the spring if I can get up the courage.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: 70 R/T SE Headliner Brd. - 02/02/09 04:26 AM

The shipping is the killer. I sold a perfect one to a guy and he did not want to pay the big shipping. So he had me to cut it down the middle and ship it in a smaller cheaper box UPS.
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: 70 R/T SE Headliner Brd. - 02/02/09 09:13 PM

he wanted a good one cut in half!

Tav

Re: 70 R/T SE Headliner Brd. - 02/02/09 11:02 PM

Yup, it was a perfect piece. He did not want to pay the shipping so I cut it right down the middle so it would ship UPS.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 70 R/T SE Headliner Brd. - 02/03/09 12:10 AM

Just out of curiosity, which way did you cut it?

Personally, I would have found another buyer.

Re: 70 R/T SE Headliner Brd. - 02/03/09 02:49 AM

I cut it down the center line of the car. He paid the price I wanted for it so it was his decision the cut it. Otherwise I would have had to build a crate for it. Those things are big. Just price trying to ship one.
© 2024 Moparts Forums