Moparts

torsion bar question, original vs new

Posted By: 69Chrgr

torsion bar question, original vs new - 12/04/15 04:41 AM

need a set of .920 torsion bars for my Charer, found a set of used originals, is it worth getting them or just getting a new set of Mopar ones? I read that people werent happy with the new ones, but really dont know why, the guy want 150 for the used set, so Im not trying to get the used ones to save money. just wasnt sure what I should do

Duane
Posted By: Stanton

Re: torsion bar question, original vs new - 12/04/15 06:05 AM

I paid $50 for a set of NOS .890 b-body ones at Carlisle last year (asking price was $100.). I think $150 for used is ridiculous !!
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: torsion bar question, original vs new - 12/04/15 08:43 AM

$150 is too much for used torsion bars. realcrazy

You can buy new ones for $229 delivered from several places (Summit, Jegs, etc.).

If you have any kind of "in" at a dealers parts dept or know a Chrysler employee you can get a better price.
I bought a new set of the MPerf .960 bars at the dealer for $185 total with tax about a month ago. (I'm a Chrysler retiree).
Posted By: astjp2

Re: torsion bar question, original vs new - 12/05/15 02:58 AM

I went with the 1.15's advertised on here from Bergman Auto Craft
Posted By: Dixie

Re: torsion bar question, original vs new - 12/05/15 04:46 PM

I think you're asking if used ones would still function properly? I have been told they don't typically loose their tension(?), so I wouldn't be afraid to run a used set if found reasonably.

Hopefully, others will chime in with more info.

Re: torsion bar question, original vs new - 12/06/15 09:25 AM

Originally Posted By Dixie
I think you're asking if used ones would still function properly? I have been told they don't typically loose their tension(?), so I wouldn't be afraid to run a used set if found reasonably.

Hopefully, others will chime in with more info.

For a reasonable price the used ones are fine.
$150 for a used set is too much, at $100 for the set is reasonable. twocents
Posted By: 69Chrgr

Re: torsion bar question, original vs new - 12/06/15 03:19 PM

My question was if originals were better than new ones made who knows where and with metal from who knows where, and if the originals are better, would the 150.00 be too much, I found new mopars for 225.00 with free shipping, gotta call the chrysler dealer we get parts from at work and see if I can get them any better
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: torsion bar question, original vs new - 12/06/15 06:40 PM

I typically sell clean, used torsion bar sets for $125.

If somebody thinks that's too high then they are free to:

find a car,
buy it, \
get it out of it's resting spot,
load it up,
trailer it home,
disassemble it while tagging everything and saving hardware, store it,
and look at the eye sore of a carcass in your lot while people from the rust belt try to tell you your time is worth little to nothing...

go for it! It's not 1975. Fuel, trucks, trailers, TIME, insurance, sport weld cutters, space, etc. all cost the operator.

That said I would always buy a clean OEM part over a "new" reproduction part if it's clean and usable.

Re: torsion bar question, original vs new - 12/06/15 09:52 PM

The new M/Perf torsion bars I bought said on the box that they were manufactured in Canada.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: torsion bar question, original vs new - 12/06/15 09:55 PM

Quote:

The value of an item is ultimately determined by the guy with the money, not the guy with the part !
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: torsion bar question, original vs new - 12/10/15 05:28 AM

Originally Posted By Stanton
Quote:

The value of an item is ultimately determined by the guy with the money, not the guy with the part !

True sir, and I am the guy with the money and one set of t-bars out of five left at the shop. Maybe I got lucky but that would be unusual lol.
© 2024 Moparts Forums