Moparts

are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets?

Posted By: whomper1

are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/18/15 07:57 PM

i thought i had heard that somewhere?
Posted By: Morty426

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/18/15 11:23 PM

For 70 Challengers it was color-keyed and not dependent on transmission. The exception would be white.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/imag...llenger0001.jpg

Has an A66 4 speed Challenger with brown interior and the carpet was brown.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/19/15 03:34 AM

Didn't early e bodies that had a red interior come with black carpets, seat belts, and steering column also? Could be wrong, but I thought I heard that the early ones were black and later cars that had a red interior came with everything else red.
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/19/15 05:37 AM

69 B-Body cars 4 speed with bench seat all had black carpets. You got color matching carpet with 4 speed console cars
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/19/15 08:42 AM

I think this is also the case with 70 B body 4 speed cars....not 100% though.

Originally Posted By RoadRunnerJD
69 B-Body cars 4 speed with bench seat all had black carpets. You got color matching carpet with 4 speed console cars

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/19/15 03:55 PM

where could this info be verified?

is there a factory document around somewhere that would indicate this?
or maybe in a dealer order book?

Posted By: mattsmopars

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/19/15 04:08 PM

Not real sure it had anything to do with the seats. My 69 GTX is pewter interior, 440 4 speed, bucket seat no console car and it came with black carpet.
Matt

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/19/15 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By mattsmopars

Not real sure it had anything to do with the seats. My 69 GTX is pewter interior, 440 4 speed, bucket seat no console car and it came with black carpet.
Matt

It has to do with the interior color.

In 69 the following colors are listed with matching color carpet: black, green, tan, blue and red.

White is listed as coming with black carpet.

Silver (Pewter) is not listed but would come with black

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1969/69_Charger0002.jpg
Posted By: SuperRob

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/20/15 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By whomper1
where could this info be verified?

is there a factory document around somewhere that would indicate this?
or maybe in a dealer order book?

Dealer Book for 69 Coronet, please look at the first two lines...

Posted By: SuperRob

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/20/15 04:42 PM

Same book for 70 Coronet:

Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/20/15 07:37 PM

Interesting.....look at option C92 below for 70 Charger. It notes 4 speed with black carpet only.

Attached picture 70 option info.jpg

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/21/15 03:51 PM

thanks for all of the great input, but its still confusing and the order book appears to contradict itself

still dont know what to think

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/21/15 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By whomper1
thanks for all of the great input, but its still confusing and the order book appears to contradict itself

still dont know what to think

Well the first thing that might help is if you tell what year and model car you are working on.

Next would be hint about the color of the seat belts.

What color is the interior?
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/22/15 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By Morty426

Well the first thing that might help is if you tell what year and model car you are working on.

^ THIS
Posted By: Paul Jacobs

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/22/15 07:36 PM

All factory books and guides, even the engineering drawings, are representative of what was supposed to happen, not what always happened. The black carpeting only myth has been circulating for years, yet I just found another 69 B body 4 speed survivor this summer with color keyed blue carpet-that makes 5 I can document. Had this same conversation with Frank Badalson and Dave Wise this year at Carlisle and they too have several documented. I don't think it was real common but it did happen.
It is also very possible this had to do with build dates!!

If you can't prove otherwise, put in black carpet to be on the safe side.
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/23/15 01:38 AM

How about an early 69 gtx 4 speed with white and blue interior, buckets and a buddy? Look kind of goofy with white blue and black..
Posted By: Paul Jacobs

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/23/15 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By mopars_1
How about an early 69 gtx 4 speed with white and blue interior, buckets and a buddy? Look kind of goofy with white blue and black..

Funny you should ask about that combo-The car I documented this summer was in fact am original paint, White 69 GTX 4 speed,blue & white interior, blue carpet. Was a California car, no undercoating anywhere! The guy didn't really even realize what he had, and had it in the pits at a drag race.

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/23/15 05:26 PM

i wasnt currently working on a car. a friend was working on a 4-speed 68 gtx with white and blue interior and we started talking about the carpet color and i brought up that i had remembered hearing sometime about b-body 4-speed carpets being black. i didnt recall further details and was just wondering if anyone here had knowledge of it

Paul J had some great input along with the others. i appreciate that

btw, would the parts books help?

i mean if the 4-speed carpets were only to be black then would the parts books have colored carpets listed?

thanks again

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/23/15 09:39 PM

The 68 parts catalog lists carpet in section 23-79-3 lists all except 4 on floor. Under the that it lists 4 speed manual trans, w/ console.

The colors listed there are Blue, black, red, green
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/23/15 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By 70gtx440dana
Interesting.....look at option C92 below for 70 Charger. It notes 4 speed with black carpet only.

I think that pertains to 1970 Burnt Orange interior-colored cars... I have seen plenty of 4speed console '70 B's with color-keyed carpet, except for the burnt orange variety...
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/24/15 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By mopars_1

White and black match everything, so not so goofy. It's like wearing a white shirt and blue jeans with a black belt.
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/24/15 06:37 AM

Originally Posted By hemi68charger
Originally Posted By 70gtx440dana

I think that pertains to 1970 Burnt Orange interior-colored cars... I have seen plenty of 4speed console '70 B's with color-keyed carpet, except for the burnt orange variety...

Well what needs to be mentioned when referring to carpet color is CONSOLE OR NO CONSOLE. From my experience the bench seat 4spd cars got black carpet and the console 4 spds got color.
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/24/15 06:49 AM

Here is one Troy that I owned back in the 80's

Attached picture gtx interior.jpg
Posted By: Maxwellwedge

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/25/15 08:03 PM

My survivor 69 GTX with buckets and console - green and white interior (P6F) has green carpet

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/25/15 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By Maxwellwedge
My survivor 69 GTX with buckets and console - green and white interior (P6F) has green carpet

As it should.

Does it have a console?

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/25/15 09:56 PM

Yes it does

http://www.moparaction.com/Article/GTX-CELLENT/GTX-CELLENT.html

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/26/15 12:42 AM

I still believe bench seat 4 speed cars only came with black carpet

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/26/15 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By Maxwellwedge

That's an absolutely wonderful car. Thanks for sharing.

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 11/27/15 04:02 PM

Thanks! I have been on here since the site started....but have forgotten my user name and/or password too many times....plus computer crashes over the years and had to re-register a few times - lol.
Posted By: RalphsRapidTrnst

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 12/04/15 06:57 PM

Sorry I don't agree. My A12 came new with a blue carpet, My 71 RR was also a Blue carpet (Both bench no console). My 72 RR/GTX came with a black carpet (Blue interior w/ buddy seat). It may have been the rule but it was not the norm.

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 12/05/15 12:00 AM

Ralph, I agree, black just would not look right with a blue interior...you have some great cars!
Posted By: RalphsRapidTrnst

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 12/05/15 05:21 PM

If I didn't have the pics of the A12 and 71 RR before the restoration I would of agreed. The 72 RR/GTX with all its factory assembly line goofs it has a black carpet with a full blue interior. Go figure.
Posted By: MRVCODE

Re: are 4-speed cars that were only made with black carpets? - 12/11/15 04:51 PM

My 69 GTX convertible I purchased off the original owner 1984 - unrestored survivor, at the time. Blue interior, non- console 4 speed, black carpet.
© 2024 Moparts Forums