Moparts

hemi orange engine paint

Posted By: 440challenger

hemi orange engine paint - 01/27/09 01:46 PM

I said no to spray bomb and bought some por 15 hemi orange engine paint. has anyone used this before and how were your results/ did you thin it and shoot it and if so with what? Did you brush it on ? Any pics would be great too!! Thanks!
Posted By: cdp

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 01/27/09 02:35 PM

i used it on my 340 and got good results with spraying it. I'd personally go with Manderine Orange custom mix formula. I think thats what i'm going to use on my 69 440.

I did see the POR flake and peal in a few spots after about 2 years and a little antifreeze discolored it.
Posted By: Troy

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 01/27/09 04:47 PM

I have done alot of experimenting with paints and to be honest with you, my best results have been with a spray can.

If your looking for a very shinny, glossy looking engine then go for the gun but if your looking for a realistic looking engine, I find that the old rattle can works for me.

Just my

PS.....I believe the closes looking paint on the market is the Duplicolor Chrysler Orange.....not the hemi orange but the Chrysler Orange.

OK, let the begin
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 01/27/09 06:33 PM

u-tech 3.8 HSP

U-TECH 3.8 Polyurethane System - High Solids System
U-TECH 3.8 System High Solids low VOC 2K Polyurethane single stage topcoat designed
to produces a very flexible impact resistant film. U-TECH 3.8 Polyurethane, incredible hiding
power that meets the productivity needs of the Fleet market as well as the light commercial
to heavy commercial markets.

More importantly the intermix tinting system allows for color formulas available for both fleet
and automotive saving time and reducing cost.

Product Features:

- Hiding Power
- Very Flexible
- High Gloss
- Easy-To-Spray
- Fast Cure
- Long Term Durability

DUPONT CODE : 5067U

Find a sikkens dealer and they can get it.
Posted By: MLR426

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 01/27/09 08:20 PM

Quote:

I have done alot of experimenting with paints and to be honest with you, my best results have been with a spray can.

If your looking for a very shinny, glossy looking engine then go for the gun but if your looking for a realistic looking engine, I find that the old rattle can works for me.

Just my

PS.....I believe the closes looking paint on the market is the Duplicolor Chrysler Orange.....not the hemi orange but the Chrysler Orange.

OK, let the begin

Troy,

I agree as well, we have all seen the engines
that look like the paint is 1/8 inch thick and
and as shinny as a new John Deere tractor.
The low luster spary bomb looks more correct.

logan426
Posted By: AdamR

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 01/28/09 01:15 PM

The POR15 is very shiny abd the color is on the pale side.

Posted By: BRawls

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 01/29/09 01:47 AM

I just did a 440 brushing and it came out OK. the POR does not cover well and I had to go over it 3 times to make it look good. I'll spray next time.

Attached picture 4981547-DSC05982.JPG
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 01/29/09 01:55 AM

I'm with Troy, POR15 (as well as most other brush on mixes) result in a finish that is too thick, the wrong color, and way too glossy in appearance. The factory shot single stage enamel on the bare metal engines, no primer, nothing, just a fast but fairly heavy coat of color. It was pretty slow drying so it thinned and flattened as it dried.

Modern rattle cans offer a similar look if applied correctly. Although I haven't seen anything from a rattle can that's 100% exact to OEM, but the stuff you can buy from Mopar Perfomance these days (the new mix) is pretty dan accurate! FWIW I don't think the Duplicolor mix is nearly as close.
Posted By: MOPARRESTORER

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 01/29/09 02:59 AM

Quote:

u-tech 3.8 HSP

I agree this has been a very good product for us. We have been using it for years with no problems.
Posted By: AdamR

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 01/29/09 12:43 PM

U-Tech, is Sikkens owned.
Posted By: holtzdog55

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 01/31/09 05:51 PM

Pretty sure my brother used this when he painted my engine....looks pretty good to me anyway....

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku

Attached picture 4988599-DSC01148.JPG
Posted By: holtzdog55

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 01/31/09 05:52 PM

pic of paint....

Attached picture 4988600-hemiorangepaint.jpg
Posted By: cdp

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 02/01/09 12:31 AM

Couldn't you have the U-Tech deglossed about 10-15% and get a more correct appearance?

I've heard the U-Tech has exceptional color hold out and is very resistent to gas spills/antifreeze, etc. Everything a good poly-paint should do.

Attached File
Posted By: sawdust

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 02/01/09 01:13 AM

What is the Ditzler # for the tangerine orange that I saw her previously? Should be a DAR enamel paint with certain % flattening agent.

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 02/01/09 04:42 AM

Seems to a bit of confusion on this thread. DURABLE paint is not what I'm commenting on, CORRECT shade of paint is what I'm commenting on. Two different subjects. As far as correctness, as I said above, it's pretty hard to beat the current Mopar rattle can stuff, it's pretty durable as well if you prep the metal first and apply it properly.

Quote:

What is the Ditzler # for the tangerine orange that I saw her previously?

That's Dave Walden's (ECS) custom blend that he came up with when he matched some of the original engine paint on his 1970 440

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 02/01/09 05:01 AM

My LD340 intake looks like junk after being painted with mopar paint from a rattle can. It was spotlessly clean, painted and got some fuel on it and most of the paint lifted. Quality stuff.
Posted By: GOLDENCOMMANDO

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 02/01/09 05:27 AM

Heres the previous post.I'm still looking for the DAR code for the max wedge.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 02/01/09 06:16 PM

Quote:

My LD340 intake looks like junk after being painted with mopar paint from a rattle can. It was spotlessly clean, painted and got some fuel on it and most of the paint lifted. Quality stuff.

No reason for the ........As I already said, I was not speaking on quality of adhesion, chemical resistance, or any other durability issues. The color is right, that's it.

*BTW, FWIW I've used it allot and had no issues with it lifting as you described.

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 02/01/09 08:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No reason for the ........As I already said, I was not speaking on quality of adhesion, chemical resistance, or any other durability issues. The color is right, that's it.

*BTW, FWIW I've used it allot and had no issues with it lifting as you described.

Ever seen two factory painted engines in SH orange be different shades? What's correct?

Just like B5 cars of the same year. Two can be painted B5 from the factory and the shades aren't exactly the same... so which is correct.

Not everyone is concerned with OE correct shades, of course you have to know which is actually correct because there was more than one shade variation. Spray gun stuff is much better, more durable and you could even flat it to get rid of the bothersome gloss.

The mp rattle can stuff, IMO, is garbage at best.

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 02/02/09 03:28 AM

Quote:

Ever seen two factory painted engines in SH orange be different shades? What's correct?

Yes it varied, but not a ton, we are talking slight variations. There are plenty of durable paints out there, no doubt much better than rattle can or original paint on engines in terms of quality. However, MOST of todays aftermarket blends are not even close to matching any range of factory color shades, and custom flattening agents aside, are usually a mile off on the amount of gloss as well (a couple reasons that likely lead Dave Walden to match his own blend to original engine paint). So what it boils down to is that it really depends on what your priorities are.

Posted By: 340SIX

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 02/02/09 04:47 AM

Well if what Scott says is true{and i trust his opinion on this}And the pressent MP rattle cans are the right color.And I was looking for that plus lasting/durable.
Cans are cheap I would get one Spray some on something Then have the local PPG or Dupont Scan it and make some in single stage. That way I would have best of both worlds.
I am planing to do this with the last of a can of the old MP red I have since they changed venders and I want the same shade
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: hemi orange engine paint - 02/02/09 05:38 AM

doesnt matter much anyways, run a few heat cycles, spill some fluids, roll through a puddle, etc. and the color changes. Give me durability over exact match, I dont like doing the same job twice
I guess perfect color match is more for winching in and out of the enclosed
© 2024 Moparts Forums