Moparts

69 Hemi vacuum advance unit

Posted By: robertop

69 Hemi vacuum advance unit - 09/02/15 10:48 PM

I have tried to fix my car's vacuum advance and finally had to give up. Back in February I contacted a member, BiggE, about some units he had, but unfortunately I lost the info. I wish to get in touch with him again, hopefully, or to hear about someone that might have one for sale; my unit has a '10' on the little arm. Thank you for any help!
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: 69 Hemi vacuum advance unit - 09/02/15 11:15 PM

What is actually wrong with yours? PM me if interested.

Attached picture Picture 277.jpg
Posted By: 1969383S

Re: 69 Hemi vacuum advance unit - 09/03/15 02:37 AM

Outward wise his looks like the one on the distributor on the right. But internally it looks like none pictured. It has a square internal shape I am not familiar with.

His car is a "Very" early production 69 that has many 68 attributes. Quite awesome it is! Are there other units liked described?

Re: 69 Hemi vacuum advance unit - 09/03/15 04:21 AM

There are only four style advance units,the 69 Hemi would have a dual point Prestolite,the top right would be the only correct one,68 would be the same.

Attached picture Picture 281.jpg
Posted By: Morty426

Re: 69 Hemi vacuum advance unit - 09/03/15 06:51 AM

68 and 69 share the same distributor.

Did someone try fix yours with incorrect parts?

Re: 69 Hemi vacuum advance unit - 09/03/15 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By 1969383S
Outward wise his looks like the one on the distributor on the right. But internally it looks like none pictured. It has a square internal shape I am not familiar with.

His car is a "Very" early production 69 that has many 68 attributes. Quite awesome it is! Are there other units liked described?
Well, here is somebody that knows my car as well as me! I am sure I know who you are, because only two or three guys have seen my original distributor, which is indeed the one on the right. The vacuum unit had a broken diaphram, so I opened it up, thought I fixed it, soldered it back together, and tried to replate it, but with bad results. In the past I looked for another vacuum unit on ebay with no success, however yesterday I tried again and I found the right one for my engine and distributor number too, so for now I am happy. We'll see when I get the part, an NOS 'new' unit. Thank you all for your answer, keep your fingers crossed!

Re: 69 Hemi vacuum advance unit - 09/03/15 03:48 PM

To satisfy my curiosity,how did you solder it back together being the front part is cast aluminum and the back stamped steel ? Repairing them is no problem but thats not the way it is done. confused

Re: 69 Hemi vacuum advance unit - 09/03/15 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By 62maxwgn
To satisfy my curiosity,how did you solder it back together being the front part is cast aluminum and the back stamped steel ? Repairing them is no problem but thats not the way it is done. confused
My vacuum did not work because the little arm had separated from the diaphragm. I put the thing on a lathe and, with a fine cutting tool, cut on the outer half of the steel housing near the edge of the circumference until the two halves had split. After repairing the diaphragm I soldered back the split halves all around.
I found later that my repair did not hold and the arm refuses to work, and I don't want to mess with it again, especially if a new unit is available on Ebay. All I can say is: I tried!

By the way,the front part I'm sure it's made of a zinc casting, not of aluminum; I have to say that as a retired metallurgist....Sorry!
Posted By: 1969383S

Re: 69 Hemi vacuum advance unit - 09/04/15 03:50 AM

Roberto

What is the square piece I have seen over the linkage arm that connects to the breaker plate?

Is that something you just had over it for attempted repair work?

Re: 69 Hemi vacuum advance unit - 09/04/15 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By 1969383S
Roberto

What is the square piece I have seen over the linkage arm that connects to the breaker plate?

Is that something you just had over it for attempted repair work?
While my car was being painted I took all the front suspension parts for refinishing, repair, or replacing as needed. I never gave them back, so when the car was delivered to me my painter took a piece of angle iron to tie together the front wheels so tha car could be safery moved into my garage. That piece is still attached today, I must say, but it will be removed soon. Hope!
Posted By: 2JcodeChargers

Re: 69 Hemi vacuum advance unit - 09/05/15 02:35 AM

"Repairing them is no problem" How are these Prestolite vacuum advance units restored? Mine needs it. I thought they were not fixable?

Re: 69 Hemi vacuum advance unit - 09/05/15 04:27 AM

Originally Posted By 2JcodeChargers

"Repairing them is no problem" How are these Prestolite vacuum advance units restored? Mine needs it. I thought they were not fixable?

Check your PM's
© 2024 Moparts Forums